What's new

Veteran's Day And Memorial Day Why Both ???

Here is something I found that was pretty informative. Hope you enjoy it.

Memorial Day started in the 1860's in various towns as a day to remember and honor the soldiers who died in the Civil War. It was originally called Dedication Day. In 1868, the first official military proclamation of the day was given, and flowers were put at the graves at Arlington National Cemetery. The first state to recognize Memorial Day as a holiday was New York in 1873. Eventually all the Northern states adopted it in the late 1800s, while the the Southern states had other days for honoring Confederate war dead. In 1971, Congress set the official date of Memorial Day to be the last Monday in May.

Veterans Day, which is celebrated November 11 of each year, is set aside to honor all veterans, both living and dead. It was first called Armistice Day, to celebrate the day when WWI was ended with the signing of an armistice on November 11, 1918. After WWII, the holiday changed to honor all veterans rather than remember the peace and the sacrifice of those in the first world war. In 1954, the president changed it to Veterans Day to honor all servicemen and servicewomen. Many other countries, which also participated in WWI also celebrate a day honoring those who served in the military (living or dead) on November 11.

In short, Memorial Day -- an American holiday established for the honoring of the war dead. Veterans Day - a holiday celebrated in many countries for honoring veterans, living and dead.

I'm happy they have two days, our vets deserve one hell of a lot.

My thanks to all the B&B Veterans and all Veterans. Thanks so much.

I'm happy they have two days, our vets deserve one hell of a lot.

My thanks to all the B&B Veterans and all Veterans. Thanks so much.

Thanks, Tim, and all of you for the tribute. I spent a career in uniform and retired from the Navy before embarking on my current career. I'm proud of what I did--the hours were long, the pay often meager, the danger considerable, and I'd do it all again. Only those of us who have served understand the demands which military life places upon one, and the way it builds integrity and character. It is a matter of pride that my son is now an officer, too (Army--not Navy. Couldn't sell him on the idea of a life at sea.) He serves with the 10th Mountain Division, and I pray daily for his safety. having been in combat, I know what it's like. My prayer is that all our young men and women will come home safely to us.
Eric
Bronze Star with "V" for Valor
Purple Heart for wounds sustained in combat.
Proud American

Top Bottom