What's new

Vector or Sabre for 1st SE

Congratulations on the new razors. I don't blame you for getting both!

I love SE razors--something about the stiffer blades really works for me. I don't have either of those razors, but I have an ATT razor that uses the Feather AC blades and it gives an awesome shave. My favorite razor for GEM blades is the Ever Ready 1911--the audible feedback is great and the shaves are excellent. I've tried several GEM handles, but the 1911 to me is perfection and the rest just aren't as good. I'd love to get something modern like the Sabre sometime, but I bought the OneBlade Genesis last year and won't be looking for another high-end SE for a while.

Does anyone have any particular experience of being a long-term Vector and guarded blades user, and then trying the Sabre as their first introduction to the GEM format?

The Oneblade Genesis, the Supply razor and the Vector are my rotation. I have tried plenty of the AC blades, usually returning to the Feather Proguard due to its ease. My beard growth is very coarse, but the Pro blades simply caused too many nicks for me. The Kai Captain Titan Mild blades were a large improvement, but it was finding the guarded Protouch MGs that transformed this razor for me. These have all of the Proguard's simplicity, but are engineered very differently. There really isn't any 'feel' to the guard unlike their counterpart, and their efficiency is exceptional.

I am strongly considering the Sabre, but most likely on the Level 2 plate due to my beard growth. Blackland rate the aggressiveness of the standard Vector as 5/10, in comparison to 5.5/10 for the Level 2 Sabre. As someone who has found unguarded AC blades a little too much on occasion, what sort of experience is the most likely with the Sabre and GEM blade combination?

Thank you! :)

Does anyone have any particular experience of being a long-term Vector and guarded blades user, and then trying the Sabre as their first introduction to the GEM format?

The Oneblade Genesis, the Supply razor and the Vector are my rotation. I have tried plenty of the AC blades, usually returning to the Feather Proguard due to its ease. My beard growth is very coarse, but the Pro blades simply caused too many nicks for me. The Kai Captain Titan Mild blades were a large improvement, but it was finding the guarded Protouch MGs that transformed this razor for me. These have all of the Proguard's simplicity, but are engineered very differently. There really isn't any 'feel' to the guard unlike their counterpart, and their efficiency is exceptional.

I am strongly considering the Sabre, but most likely on the Level 2 plate due to my beard growth. Blackland rate the aggressiveness of the standard Vector as 5/10, in comparison to 5.5/10 for the Level 2 Sabre. As someone who has found unguarded AC blades a little too much on occasion, what sort of experience is the most likely with the Sabre and GEM blade combination?

Thank you! :)

Probably the Sabre L1. The Vector is rated based on Pros so if Pros are too much in the Vector I think Level One is likely the way to go. The L1 was also inspired by the type of shave provided by the Genesis which makes me think it's the right fit for you. Its geometry is not based on the OneBlade at all, but the ease of use and mildness that is inherent to the OneBlade is similar to that of the Sabre L1.

As for blades, I only recommend Personna GEM PTFE Coated SS. These ship with the Sabre are the only real option as far as I'm concerned.

I have not tried the Vector. I am a big fan of the Sabre, both 1 and 2. However, I'm not a fan of the Blackland handle design. Thankfully I have many DE razor handles that work wonderfully with the Sabre head.

Probably the Sabre L1. The Vector is rated based on Pros so if Pros are too much in the Vector I think Level One is likely the way to go. The L1 was also inspired by the type of shave provided by the Genesis which makes me think it's the right fit for you. Its geometry is not based on the OneBlade at all, but the ease of use and mildness that is inherent to the OneBlade is similar to that of the Sabre L1.

As for blades, I only recommend Personna GEM PTFE Coated SS. These ship with the Sabre are the only real option as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you Shane, I really appreciate the reply! I am interested that the L1 was inspired by the Genesis shave - it's an excellent razor when looking past the drawbacks of the FHS-10 blade. I will look into ordering the L1 in the near future. It's great that Blackland has UK stockists now.

Posted 1st Sabre shave in SE SOTD Thread. I want to thank everyone for your help. I read a ton here in a bunch of different threads (I guess I was an SE Stalker)and am very happy with my first results. I’m really looking forward to getting to know this razor. As a ham fisted Neanderthal I still got a great shave.
Shane @Blackland Razors your team does a great job. You will not be getting my Sabre back!

Posted 1st Sabre shave in SE SOTD Thread. I want to thank everyone for your help. I read a ton here in a bunch of different threads (I guess I was an SE Stalker)and am very happy with my first results. I’m really looking forward to getting to know this razor. As a ham fisted Neanderthal I still got a great shave.
Shane @Blackland Razors your team does a great job. You will not be getting my Sabre back!

Glad to hear it! Thanks for your support.

Hi @molon_labe, you and I ordered Vectors at pretty much the same time! I was following this as well, and found @GNR's reviews starting around March 11 on the SE SOTD thread. I can't figure out how to link to it because I'm even worse at computers than shaving. You can also click on a user's avatar, and then click on it again, and it will show you their posts either by latest activity or postings. Hope this helps. He's got some really good stuff on that thread.

Hi @molon_labe, you and I ordered Vectors at pretty much the same time! I was following this as well, and found @GNR's reviews starting around March 11 on the SE SOTD thread. I can't figure out how to link to it because I'm even worse at computers than shaving. You can also click on a user's avatar, and then click on it again, and it will show you their posts either by latest activity or postings. Hope this helps. He's got some really good stuff on that thread.

thanks let me check it out.

I'm assuming you've had a little time with both razors at this point. I just ordered a Vector OC yesterday as my first SE. I'm curious what your thoughts are now that you've had a chance to compare the 2.
Sorry for the delayed response. I answered @molon_labe via message, but thought I would share my thoughts for anyone considering the Sabre, Vector, or both solution.
The Vector SB was easier and more intuitive for me in the beginning because I was a steep angle shaver with DE razors. The Vector performance is great with a few different angles of attack, so I picked it up quickly. The Vector SB probably provides the “best” BBS 3 pass shave for my skin/technique. It could easily be my only razor.
The Sabre L1 and L2 (with GEM PTFE blades) provides the easiest 2 pass shaves, that are incredibly close and comfortable. The two plates allow me to change the efficiency as the blade breaks in or as I see fit for any given day. Honestly, the Sabre (with both plates) could also be my only razor.
Luckily, I’m allowed to have more than 1 razor. My best 1- 2 punch is with the Sabre and Vector. I love the shaves, performance, design, and craftsmanship so much I’m getting rid of my DE razors and they are good to great razors.
Recommendation: Buy either the Sabre or Vector from @Blackland Razors and learn the SE format you’ve chosen (GEM vs. AC). Then you can try the other format by grabbing a vintage GEM or Hawk V2 without committing a lot of money. If you fall in love with both GEM and AC format SE razors you should save up and get both of Blackland Razors they are exquisite, perform out of this world, and are a joy to own and use.
Tim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
As you can probably surmise, the B&B solution to the dilemma is to get both and enjoy incredible shaves forever. :cool:

The Vector is the best AC blade razor I own.

The Sabre is the best GEM blade razor I own.

They are both superb shaving instruments.

Get both - you deserve it. :cool:

Last edited:
Sorry for the delayed response. I answered @molon_labe via message, but thought I would share my thoughts for anyone considering the Sabre, Vector, or both solution.
The Vector SB was easier and more intuitive for me in the beginning because I was a steep angle shaver with DE razors. The Vector performance is great with a few different angles of attack, so I picked it up quickly. The Vector SB probably provides the “best” BBS 3 pass shave for my skin/technique. It could easily be my only razor.
The Sabre L1 and L2 (with GEM PTFE blades) provides the easiest 2 pass shaves, that are incredibly close and comfortable. The two plates allow me to change the efficiency as the blade breaks in or as I see fit for any given day. Honestly, the Sabre (with both plates) could also be my only razor.
Luckily, I’m allowed to have more than 1 razor. My best 1- 2 punch is with the Sabre and Vector. I love the shaves, performance, design, and craftsmanship so much I’m getting rid of my DE razors and they are good to great razors.
Recommendation: Buy either the Sabre or Vector from @Blackland Razors and learn the SE format you’ve chosen (GEM vs. AC). Then you can try the other format by grabbing a vintage GEM or Hawk V2 without committing a lot of money. If you fall in love with both GEM and AC format SE razors you should save up and get both of Blackland Razors they are exquisite, perform out of this world, and are a joy to own and use.
Tim
Wow, getting rid of all the others! I did that when I got the CB Karve. And I am sorely tempted to again, as I am so pleased with the Vector, the Sabre, and a couple of injectors.

Reactions: GNR
Wow, getting rid of all the others! I did that when I got the CB Karve. And I am sorely tempted to again, as I am so pleased with the Vector, the Sabre, and a couple of injectors.
Yup, for my face the SE razors just work better. Less drama, irritation, easier to get great results.
I enjoyed my DE razor time, it lasted for more than a decade. However, once I went SE, I knew I wouldn’t go back. I’ve used my best DE razors since converting to SE and they just don’t offer the same comfort and results.

Top Bottom