What's new

Vector, Hawk V3 and The General V2 - Comparison?

Hi everyone!
From what I've read the Vector, Hawk V3 and The General V2 are the most sought after AC style razors. But from the reviews and comparisons I always miss some details. How do they compare? In blade feel, agression and efficiency.

Wich one has more blade fell?
Wich one is smoother?
Wich is more efficient?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

The comments on the RR Hawk v3 and Colonial The General are still valid. :)

I only have the RR hawk v3 with the A plate. Even as the most aggressive plate, it is mild and has little blade feel to me. I find it very smooth with a feather professional blade. One of my favorite razors.

- Fayiz D.

I have Hawk V3 with standard base plate and Vector with both SB and OC plates.

Using the same blade (Feather Professional), I would rate the mildness/efficiency of these razors as the following:

Hawk V3-SB: 5
Vector SB: 7
Vector OC: 7.5

I am basing these ratings on my other two safety razors (although DEs and not SEs) , which are at the very opposite ends of the aggressiveness spectrum (with Feather DE blade):

Feather AS-D2: 2
Muhle R41: 9

I do not have the General, so can't comment on it.

Bottom-line is that Hawk V3-SB is significantly milder shaver than Vector-SB. I am not saying this neither as a positive, nor a negative, I am merely establishing this as a fact.

Both razors get an efficiency boost using Feather Pro Super blades, as these blades are both ticker and wider, thus increasing the blade gap, as well as the blade exposure. I have not used any other blades with my SE razors.

To me, the main difference between Hawk and Vector is the head architecture. Obviously, Vector with its ultra-slim head is more nimble. Besides, Vector has significantly larger blade gap. This allows you to use the razor more "intuitively", as it will shave efficiently at a wider range of angles. Hawk has a rather small blade gap, so it will shave efficiently at a very narrow angle spectrum. This is to say, you can't hold the Hawk any way you want, instead you have to find that sweet-spot. Vector OTOH, you can hold both steep (handle parallel to face) and shallow (handle perpendicular to face) and shave effectively.

I would say though that although Vector may seem intuitive, you need to develop a specific technique to get the most out of it. My first couple of shaves were not the greatest, as I was accustomed to light touch and no pressure. With Vector's head weighing only 17g you need to apply SOME pressure to get it to shave optimally. It took me a few shaves to "nail it", but once I had it was a marvel.

Have a look at these for more info:

Last edited:
The hawk V3 OC and A are a totally different level from the standard hawk plate.

The Hawk OC is perhaps the most efficient and naked blade feel razor I've ever used with a schick proline. It's something from another planet.

Between the cost of the three hawk v3 base plates I don't feel the need for another AC format razor.

For more aggressive SB I have the Asylum Rx. I call it my "death wish shave" razor!

I really like all three and find they give equally close, comfortable shaves. None are at all agressive, although the use of a Feather Super Pro can make life a little more exciting. Perhaps the General is my favourite by a whisker, but that's probably down mostly to looks and finish.
I would like to try the Hawk V3 A plate, but can't easily get hold of one here in the UK at the moment.

Thanks guys! It helped a lot!
There is now a Vector on the way and maybe a General in the future.

The comments on the RR Hawk v3 and Colonial The General are still valid. :)

That topic had completely eluded me. Amazing content! Thanks!!!

Top Bottom