What's new

Razorock Hawk V3 Std. Aggressiveness Vs. V2?

I shave daily and, with sensitive skin, prefer mild to medium aggressive razors like DB89 and Merkur 23C. I own a Hawk V2 and use either Kai Captain Titan Mild Pro Touch or Feather Pro Guard blades.

How much more aggressive is the V3 standard closed comb than the V2 with the same blades? They list the V2 as right at the border of mild and medium whereas the V3 is at the border of medium and aggressive -- find that hard to believe

Were any improvements made to the V3 (like improved blade clamping)? They don't state anything about that on their website, although drainage slats look to be larger, for example

I shave daily and, with sensitive skin, prefer mild to medium aggressive razors like DB89 and Merkur 23C. I own a Hawk V2 and use either Kai Captain Titan Mild Pro Touch or Feather Pro Guard blades.

How much more aggressive is the V3 standard closed comb than the V2 with the same blades? They list the V2 as right at the border of mild and medium whereas the V3 is at the border of medium and aggressive -- find that hard to believe

Were any improvements made to the V3 (like improved blade clamping)? They don't state anything about that on their website, although drainage slats look to be larger, for example

I own both and share your preference for milder razors and daily shaves. The V3 is definitely more aggressive, but I wouldn’t say overly so. I’d say they’re different razors completely, not different iterations of the same thing as the name suggests. The V3 head is quite a bit smoother, slimmer and more nimble. I don’t know that there’s enough difference in blade clamping to notice with an ac blade, but there’s a bit more exposure with the V3. I’d say this allows more versatility with shaving angle.

All in all I prefer the V3. I got mine with the titanium halo handle to keep weight down and this combo just feels much nicer in hand than the V2 while offering a smoother and more nimble shave. It requires a lighter touch for sure, but I don’t find it overly aggressive. Since you already own the V2 it would be worth trying the V3 head with the aluminum V2 handle to tame it a bit. The vintage thin handle would also be an interesting option to keep weight down and make an even more maneuverable razor.

I own both and share your preference for milder razors and daily shaves. The V3 is definitely more aggressive, but I wouldn’t say overly so. I’d say they’re different razors completely, not different iterations of the same thing as the name suggests. The V3 head is quite a bit smoother, slimmer and more nimble. I don’t know that there’s enough difference in blade clamping to notice with an ac blade, but there’s a bit more exposure with the V3. I’d say this allows more versatility with shaving angle.

All in all I prefer the V3. I got mine with the titanium halo handle to keep weight down and this combo just feels much nicer in hand than the V2 while offering a smoother and more nimble shave. It requires a lighter touch for sure, but I don’t find it overly aggressive. Since you already own the V2 it would be worth trying the V3 head with the aluminum V2 handle to tame it a bit. The vintage thin handle would also be an interesting option to keep weight down and make an even more maneuverable razor.
Would you say the V3 would work OK as a DAILY shaver or a bit too aggressive? I really like my V2 for daily shaving with guarded blades. Is the difference in blade feel just slightly greater in the V3 or very obvious? I find the difference between the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG and Kai Captain Titan Mild ("Pink") to be significant, the latter Titan Mild being a bit too much blade feel for daily shaving ...

Another reference point: tried and returned the Blacklands Vector (in stainless). I found it was too much with any blade, including the Protouch

Last edited:
I find the Hawk v3 standard plate to be fairly mild. I think it’s fine for daily use but ymmv
Can you give me some reference points comparing your other SE or DE razors to the Hawk V3 as far as aggressiveness? I find it hard to believe that Razorock considers the V3 right at the edge of medium & medium-aggressive according to their chart:

I agree with where they have the Hawk V2 since I also own a Merkur 23C and 25C, but I'd swap their positioning of the 23C and 25C (I find the 23C way milder than the 25C)

Would you say the V3 would work OK as a DAILY shaver or a bit too aggressive? I really like my V2 for daily shaving with guarded blades. Is the difference in blade feel just slightly greater in the V3 or very obvious? I find the difference between the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG and Kai Captain Titan Mild ("Pink") to be significant, the latter Titan Mild being a bit too much blade feel for daily shaving ...
I find it fine for daily shaving, especially with guarded blades (I’ve tried Feather and Kai). It is noticeably more aggressive than the V2, but it’s difficult to say whether or not that difference is greater than the difference between the guarded and unguarded Kai blades. I will say the V3 is very significantly smoother and I find it easier to shave under my nose, etc. I think it’s worth trying out unless the V2 with a guarded blade is the absolute max aggression you want to tolerate.

Can you give me some reference points comparing your other SE or DE razors to the Hawk V3 as far as aggressiveness? I find it hard to believe that Razorock considers the V3 right at the edge of medium & medium-aggressive according to their chart:

I agree with where they have the Hawk V2 since I also own a Merkur 23C and 25C, but I'd swap their positioning of the 23C and 25C (I find the 23C way milder than the 25C)
I think the Razorock chart exaggerates the V3 aggression. I agree with them on their placement of the V2 vs the R89, but the distance between V2 and V3 is larger than I’d place them. For me the R89 shaves similarly to a Slim set to 3. I’d place the Hawk V2 closer to a Slim on 4 and the V3 around 5-6. Similar to a pre-war Tech or a 40’s style Super Speed.
For me it’s in line with Henson medium, gamechanger 84, Karve Overlander etc. I would not call it aggressive at all.
I haven’t used any of those, but this checks out for me. I have the Henson mild and aggressive and I would say the V3 slots in between those.

Top Bottom