What's new

VDH Deluxe Getting Hard To Find!

I know you dislike ordering online but if walgreens online has it you can have it delivered to a local store i believe shipping is free, im in the same boat, my go to soap is williams, used to be everywere now i can only get it online. I hate ordering online to but unfortunately the cycle of these types of things are as followed, vdh put their products everywere, many people bought their razor, soap, brush. Most tried the razor once and tossed it as they had no education on wet shaving, they went back to their canned cream and fusion razors, the second group learned about wet shaving, fell in love came to sites like this and moved on to more artisan type products. The big explosion on vdh products is over, the next new fad is harrys, soon that will be over and something new will take its place. To placate the people who are still using these products they offer them online. I have not seen the deluxe on a shelf in years, even the luxury vdh soap is rare, once in awhile you can find it on clearance at walmart. Good luck in your search.

Out of curiosity whats the difference between delux and luxury? I have only ever tried the luxury, it makes a good shower soap, it shaved well to but i prefere my williams.

Out of curiosity whats the difference between delux and luxury? I have only ever tried the luxury, it makes a good shower soap, it shaved well to but i prefere my williams.

Besides the size of the puck, Luxury being the larger, the ingredients are different. Deluxe has Aloe and Shea Butter.

Luxury soap ingredients: Propylene Glycol, Water, Sorbitol, Sodium Stearate, Glycerin, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Triethanolamine, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Mangifera Indica (Mango Butter), Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Titanium Dioxide, Fragrance

Deluxe soap ingredients: Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide, Triethanolamine, FD&C Yellow #5, F&C Red #40

vdh deluxe.jpg

And lest we forget, VDH has a glycerin shave soap.

Besides the size of the puck, Luxury being the larger, the ingredients are different. Deluxe has Aloe and Shea Butter.

Luxury soap ingredients: Propylene Glycol, Water, Sorbitol, Sodium Stearate, Glycerin, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Triethanolamine, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Mangifera Indica (Mango Butter), Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Titanium Dioxide, Fragrance

Deluxe soap ingredients: Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide, Triethanolamine, FD&C Yellow #5, F&C Red #40

View attachment 869136
And lest we forget, VDH has a glycerin shave soap.
I will have to order some, i always thought the two were the same, i just assumed luxury was an updated packaging.

The last place I saw it was Albertson's, before it closed up and there is now a Safeway in it's place...
Good luck on your hunt!

I got a 12 pucks off of Amazon about 3 years ago. All my stores have dropped single edge gem blades but I can still get Store brand made in Israel DE blades and HEB dropped Afta for some over priced junk.

I believe my local wegmans still sells them (along with brushes and razors and blades) but i suppose it makes sense that if they don’t sell they wouldn’t stock. Maybe if you agreed to buy wholesale amounts from then they might ship it to the store so you can buy. Unfortunately the style of “buy when I’m at the stores” means you’re inherently limited to the selection available. Can’t have the cake and eat it too.

I have one local pharmacy that stocks Williams. When I expressed surprise, the cashier said that they have a policy of specially ordering things in for customers if they're wanted! The Williams appears to be a regular item there, though.

Its funny, here in California the hipsters will pay top dollar for anything retro, buying at some thrift stores in San Francisco is more expensive then buying new, you would think some of the older razor companies would capitalize, put out some legacy type products. If personna and gillette did a new run of legacy blades and razors the hipsters would go nuts, maybe like a limited run with advertising, same with some of these old soaps. For the most part out here we are limited to a few stores selling israeli personnas and dorco 300s at 4 to 6 dollars a five pack. Every once in awhile you can still find the vdh tto, but as far as wet shaving goes that is it. Everything else is the normal gillette stuff and harrys, maybe toss in some badger products.

I live in arguably the hipster capital of the world (Williamsburg, Brooklyn) you'd be surprised at what hipsters adopt as retro vs. what modern advertising has done for modern regurgitated products. These days it seems like there's a new company for the "one" of everything. You had Casper mattresses, then it was the bed sheets, then the Harry's razor to Warby Parker glasses. These seemingly deconstruct small markets and include sleek marketing that all looks the same and it fools a large mass of people. I think the "retro" hipsters are now too old to care and the younger millennial "hipsters" buy products largely as a function of cool marketing and simplicity and the illusion of modern technology. This is why Harry's has gotten popular. It isn't better, but it is packaged and presented like an Apple product.

It's a hard life for a wet shaver that insists on buying from brick and Mortar. Short of a $2 styptic pencil from wal-mart, all of my preferred products can only be attained by internet or stocking up on supplies when I visit a state with a decent shave store.

Which reminds me, it's about time I visit Maggards...umm I mean family in Michigan.

I live in arguably the hipster capital of the world (Williamsburg, Brooklyn) you'd be surprised at what hipsters adopt as retro vs. what modern advertising has done for modern regurgitated products. These days it seems like there's a new company for the "one" of everything. You had Casper mattresses, then it was the bed sheets, then the Harry's razor to Warby Parker glasses. These seemingly deconstruct small markets and include sleek marketing that all looks the same and it fools a large mass of people. I think the "retro" hipsters are now too old to care and the younger millennial "hipsters" buy products largely as a function of cool marketing and simplicity and the illusion of modern technology. This is why Harry's has gotten popular. It isn't better, but it is packaged and presented like an Apple product.
Sounds like San Francisco, put something in a retro package and they will pay triple what its worth. The last few trips to the store and harrys and cremo take up most of the shelf space. Its very rare to see wet shaving products in stores around here, dollar general has some over priced dorco blades, and cvs has 6 dollar personna blades. I work at amazon so i do see a lot of wet shaving products going through there, i always wonder if someone from this site is waiting for their loot when i see it.

Okay...Ypsilanti Michigan Walgreens on Washtenaw had VDH Delux the last time I drove through that town. The little drugstore on the square in downtown Plymouth Michigan always has a puck or two of Williams. And Maggards in Adrian has Arko sticks. And free parking.

Oh, and Miller's Bar in Dearborn doesn't sell soap, but they have good burgers.

Thanks Mick I will check out our local BB&B tomorrow.
Just a note, not all Bed, Bath and Beyond's have a drug store section. So you might want to call first before making a long trip.. If they do, it's a great place to get your toiletry needs, plus they carry the BIG bottle of Lilac Veg! :)

Top Bottom