What's new

Vancouver BC- Must Do/See Things?

Greetings fellow travelers!

I'll be spending a couple of days in Vancouver BC this summer. It's been MANY years since my last visit.

What are some things a tourist must see and do while there? We're somewhat outdoorsy so not terribly interested in indoor activities (weather permitting).

Thank you in advance!

If you rent bikes downtown you can bike all the way around to Granville Island and enjoy double baked almond filled crousants from Terra Breads in the market and very good espresso at JJBean. I'm jealous. Except for the riding a bike part.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I had to stay once a weekend in Vancouver during a business trip there. One day I took a drive up to Whistler. The other day I spend in Stanley Park and in the aquarium there. Great time. Loved to watch the sea otters, the beluga and then they had some kind of a show with dolphins. Also, many good Asian restaurants there. I think I had Japanese every day for lunch and dinner.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
29 years ago we were in Vancouver for the start of a cruise to Alaska for our 20th anniversary. I still have fond memories of The Butchart Gardens on Victoria Island. It's a bit of a commitment with (as I recall) a ferry ride. It was very beautiful, as is most of Vancouver. Great city.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Are we talking "Grouse Grind outdoorsy" or "bike the Seawall outdoorsy"?

Capilano suspension bridge is a nice walk in the woods and a cool bridge, so that can make your list.
Great city. Very cool bridge! Worth the trip. Stanley park.
If you can grab the ferry to Vancouver island!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I also was going to mention Stanley Park (that's the one with the totem poles). It's beautiful to walk the trails, and the aquarium is there. It's huge, too. Before or after, walk along the walking trail/path along the harbor and marina and see the olympic cauldron.

Granville Island also is quite nice. Lots of places to grab a bite or a drink. Very pretty views and walks. It's not quite as artistic and bohemian as lots like to say it is, but it's got the art school and maybe a show you can catch.

If you are at all interested in craft brewing, there are a ton of good spots, and they tend to be concentrated in a couple areas for easy pub crawling.

It's a very, very walkable city. You can pretty much walk anywhere and everywhere in the interior city.

Absolutely hiking and Biking.
Some ideas if you have the time and stamina.

If you have a car and are looking for spectacular views. I would think about hiking the Stawamus Chief in Squamish. Breathtaking views of the ocean and mountains together. An option closer to Vancouver but still needing a car would be hiking trails on Cypress Mountain, specifically Eagle Bluffs.

Lynn Valley is also good for hiking and waterfalls. Mt Seymour has more hiking and potential for views.

If you have a day you might consider taking the ferry to Bowen Island and hiking Mt. Gardner. More spectacular views plus a little bit of an ocean ride and some good food potential in Snug Cove.

Something a bit more convenient might be biking to Steveston Village in Richmond by way of the dikes along the ocean. Good for bird watching as well.

If you need to stick closer to downtown or want to save a bit of energy, a ride around the seawall and through to Granville Island and the market is a good option.

If you are interested in any of this I can post some more detailed material for you.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
29 years ago we were in Vancouver for the start of a cruise to Alaska for our 20th anniversary. I still have fond memories of The Butchart Gardens on Victoria Island. It's a bit of a commitment with (as I recall) a ferry ride. It was very beautiful, as is most of Vancouver. Great city.
The Butchart Gardens are said to be among the most beautiful on the planet.... I know they would be a must see for us.

If you need to stick closer to downtown
We'll probably be sticking closer to downtown. We've got two days in Vancouver. Then we wander east via train and eventually end up in Calgary.
he Butchart Gardens are said to be among the most beautiful on the planet
Absolutely. I was there when I was a little kid and didn't appreciate it at the time. I think my wife would really enjoy it.

Outdoors?
Grouse Grind (hiking the side of a mountain, great view at the top)
Capilano Suspension Bridge
Stanley Park Seawall Walk

Make sure to eat some good sushi as theirs is phenomenal, and of course great microbrew beer abounds. Just watch out some can be very strong if you are used to mainstream US stuff.

Enjoy, JM

If you are looking for good restaurant recommendations, let me know what type of food you would like and I can make some suggestions.
Vancouver has lots of good food across a lot different styles. Some restaurants need reservations some time in advance so if there is someplace specific you want to go best to get on it early.

If you are looking for good restaurant recommendations, let me know what type of food you would like and I can make some suggestions.
Vancouver has lots of good food across a lot different styles. Some restaurants need reservations some time in advance so if there is someplace specific you want to go best to get on it early.
Seafood for sure.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If you're driving and have the time, go to the Island and drive to Tofino. Its a great drive and you'll see a lot and drive through a Douglas Fir forest.

Port Alberni, Radar Hill and Long Beach at Tofino.

Port Alberni, west view.JPG Radar Hill, Vancouver Island.JPG Long Beach, Tofino BC_02.JPG

Top Bottom