What's new

Vancouver BC- Must Do/See Things?

Seafood for sure.
What might make for a good day is to walk/bike the seawall around Stanley Park to Granville Island, spend some time poking around there, then go to the Sandbar seafood restaurant on the island. Give yourself time to get home after dinner. Sun goes down late in Vancouver in the summer.

If you are sticking downtown: Joe Fortes, Blue Water Cafe. Miku for Japanese seafood.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That is stunning. Are you the photographer?

Thanks and yeah. I drove to Vancouver Island from Ontario in 2005 with a friend that moved there. Long drive and late Feb. isnt the time to do it lol. They had snow for the first time in seven years when I was in Victoria. On the drive to Tofino we had to stop and chase Bighorn Sheep off the highway.

Spectacular trip.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks and yeah. I drove to Vancouver Island from Ontario in 2005 with a friend that moved there. Long drive and late Feb. isnt the time to do it lol. They had snow for the first time in seven years when I was in Victoria. On the drive to Tofino we had to stop and chase Bighorn Sheep off the highway.

Spectacular trip.
We live on an incredible Continent on an even more incredible planet my friend. I was thinking that earlier today as I mowed my little piece of heaven on the Homestead. Creation keeps creeping in all around the edges I mow. I looked at a tree I planted when we first got married, it was shorter than my wife and about as big around as my thumb. A Red Maple that turns a beautiful shade of red in the fall. The top died out of it, and I trained a branch to become the new top. And moved it from my front yard to the backyard.... Now it's 25 feet tall and 16" in diameter!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
We live on an incredible Continent on an even more incredible planet my friend. I was thinking that earlier today as I mowed my little piece of heaven on the Homestead. Creation keeps creeping in all around the edges I mow. I looked at a tree I planted when we first got married, it was shorter than my wife and about as big around as my thumb. A Red Maple that turns a beautiful shade of red in the fall. The top died out of it, and I trained a branch to become the new top. And moved it from my front yard to the backyard.... Now it's 25 feet tall and 16" in diameter!

Speaking of tree's. I saw a picture years ago, I cant seem to find it now, but they showed an image like the one below and superimposed the areas old growth forest over it. The old growth trees in Vancouver were taller than most of the buildings.

1200px-Concord_Pacific_Master_Plan_Area.jpg

Driving through that forest of Douglas Firs was a highlight of my trip. Pictures cannot do it justice.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1658347926566.png
1658347976066.png

Two great places to walk around downtown Vancouver are Chinatown (pink) and Gastown (green).

1658347702354.png

In between, however, is Hastings Street ... the easternmost part of "West Hastings" and "East Hastings". That's the heart of the "downtown east side" better known as Skid Row or the home of druggies, muggers, and other wonderfuls.

1658348130716.png

Good luck.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
View attachment 1491181View attachment 1491182

Two great places to walk around downtown Vancouver are Chinatown (pink) and Gastown (green).

View attachment 1491176

In between, however, is Hastings Street ... the easternmost part of "West Hastings" and "East Hastings". That's the heart of the "downtown east side" better known as Skid Row or the home of druggies, muggers, and other wonderfuls.

View attachment 1491184

Good luck.
Lol, looks like Flint! I'd feel right at home...

SWMBO is sold on the idea of Granville Island. Something to do with shopping and more shopping. Between Granville, Stanley Park and Butchart Gardens we have our brief stay in Vancouver pretty well covered I think.

Now for restaurants.....

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Between Granville, Stanley Park and Butchart Gardens we have our brief stay in Vancouver pretty well covered I think.

Butchart Gardens is in Victoria, on Vancouver Island. That's a 2-hour ferry ride each way (and a 2-hour+ wait at the ferry dock if you don't have a reservation), and a full day at the gardens if you want to do it right, and you would need a rental car to get there and back. Almost certainly too much to do in one day, so you need to spend a night in Victoria to make it worthwhile.

If you want to see gardens in Vancouver, probably the best is Van Dusen.

Or the gardens out at UBC.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Oh ... you may or may not be interested, or be in town at the right time but ...

Top Bottom