What's new

Van Der Hagen Luxury makes a great shave stick.

I know Van Der Hagen Luxury soap has been around for a while, but I took the puck and loaded it into a soap stick tube and Wow! This soap works fantastic as a stick. As a stick the performance is as good as any other. For an inexpensive soap you will be surprised. I know the puck is good but as a soap stick it seems to outperform most other sticks. For the low price, this is worth a try if you haven't already.

VanDerHagen.JPG

I feel this soap oftentimes gets overlooked or even less consideration - but it is a solid performer for sure.

Personally speaking, I'd just use small pucks like these as if they were sticks.
These still come in plastic casing?

I do the same with my hard soap pucks, with exception to MWF

I know Van Der Hagen Luxury soap has been around for a while, but I took the puck and loaded it into a soap stick tube and Wow! This soap works fantastic as a stick. As a stick the performance is as good as any other. For an inexpensive soap you will be surprised. I know the puck is good but as a soap stick it seems to outperform most other sticks. For the low price, this is worth a try if you haven't already.

View attachment 1850559
I don't do face lathering but this is in my top 5 favorite soaps. I keep it in a Tabac bowl. Smells great, lathers easy, very slick.

VDH is probably my favorite soap and it doesn't hurt that you can get 3 pucks for $9.99. I have tried many cheap and artisanal soaps and seem to find myself reaching for VDH more than any other. Amazing lather no matter the brush type and no need to soak/bloom, just swirl the brush for 10 seconds and I get enough lather for a 3 pass shave with excellent slickness/cushion. Not saying there isn't better, but this checks so many boxes and just performs great.

My favorite frankensoap is 1/3 each of Arko, VDH Luxury, and Dove Men Care 3 in 1 Extra Fresh. Individually, they're all good. Together, they're great! They produce a lather that explodes in volume, is very slick, and feels nice post-shave.

My favorite frankensoap is 1/3 each of Arko, VDH Luxury, and Dove Men Care 3 in 1 Extra Fresh. Individually, they're all good. Together, they're great! They produce a lather that explodes in volume, is very slick, and feels nice post-shave.
Great combo with Arko for slickness, Dove to superlather and VDH Luxury for some of both and also as a great binder to the other two ingredients that you likely grate into the blend! Do you melt the VDH before mixing it in?

I've a similar custom blend with the following that delivers similar performance:
  • 2 Pucks Williams (just use more Arko since Williams is discontinued)
  • 2 Pucks VDH Deluxe (similar to Luxury without the glycerin - less slick)
  • 1 stick of Arko
  • 2 oz of Dove Men+ Care
  • 1 oz of Proraso Red (superlather)
  • 2 oz of Ivory (more slickness)
Grate everything except for the Proraso and VDH. Scoop in the Proraso. Mix the dry ingredients. Melt (in microwave) and pour in the VDH and then knead the mix like bread dough until all is nicely blended. Form into five 3+ oz. pucks and wrap in plastic wrap. Performance will improve as the soap ages over the first few months as the moisture from the higher water content components softens the Williams and Dove. Blend is a hard soap that is also malleable to fit any soap container.

View attachment 1850559
This soap is an good value, especially because it is often so readily available on local store shelves. I enjoy using it on occasion. See my post (link below) on my recent shave with this soap.

Link to detailed VDH Luxury shave post #70,471:

Top Bottom