What's new

Van Der Hagen Fresh Eucalyptus and Whiskey Tobacco shave soaps?

This may be old news to some of you (I didn't find any threads), but... while looking for another Tobacco shave soap, I stumbled onto these 2 new VDH offerings while browsing through the great big river of goods. I went to the Van Der Hagen website and they also have several other new products. Including 25 and 50 blade packs at a very good price (for them) and scented and unscented shave creams in a pump bottle.

The descriptions for the Eucalyptus and Whiskey Tobacco shave soaps are very interesting. They mention their “small batch kettle process” and use of natural ingredients.

I recently bought some blade samplers (looking for replacements for my exclusive use of Russian blades) and a new beautiful Semogue Galahad boar brush, so I’ll have to wait a bit before giving these two a scrub. They’re going for just 5 bucks a piece, but my online purchases are always under supervision.

Just wondering if anyone has tried either of them. If so, please share your thoughts.

I received the Whiskey Tobacco shaving soap yesterday and had my first shave with it this morning. I grated it and shoved it into my lonely Tabac shaving soap jar.

First Thing First: Finally, a tobacco scented shaving soap that actually smells like tobacco. By tobacco, I mean - not flavored, sweet pipe tobacco. Not hay. Not cigarette. Not ashtray. Just good ol' fermented tobacco... Finally!!!

Another thing I really like about the aroma is: When you smell it, you get either delicious whiskey, fermented tobacco or both, simultaneously. I don't pick up any other additional notes like vanilla or wood scents or whatever. Just Whiskey and Tobacco. Hope this makes sense to anyone.

Secondly: The lather performs very well, indeed. Much like the Van Der Hagen Deluxe or Luxury.
I have always liked the Van Der Hagen soap performances, especially for the price. The scents; not so much.

The VDH Whiskey Tobacco shaving soap, for me, is a real game changer!

Looking forward to trying the Fresh Eucalyptus puck. If I can ever stop thinking about how good the Whiskey Tobacco puck smells.

Had a second shave with the VDH Whiskey Tobacco shaving soap this morning. Decided to shave with my favorite (tobacco), Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars (tallow version) yesterday - just to make a quick comparison. Although the performance of the VDH is not quite like HeV, it is very good indeed. This is how I compare both of them (YMMV).

____________HeV__VDH
Aroma _______10___10
Latherability___10___9.5
Glide_________10___9
Cushion_______10___9
Post Shave____10____8

Not too shabby for a melt and pour, economical player. Hope it does well enough to remain accessible.

...That is all...

I almost bought the green puck last night, but I saw them at my local grocery store and ended up getting two regular luxury soaps instead. I don't know if they are getting phased out or just hard to find. I do have a store or two that still sells the deluxe, and I like it way better than the regular. I guess it's too bad that Willems or Colgate aren't around anymore.

So true bright09. The Select (white bar in green box) and the Deluxe (pink bar in green box). Seems the Select is no longer in production. The Deluxe is available, now in a brown box. Here is what Van Der Hagen offers online. Really curious about the Eucalyptus bar scent.

View attachment 1861844
Van Der Hagen Shave soaps.png

Have ordered and received both. Will start using next week. I like VDH Luxury SS and do well with the Deluxe. Looking forward to these.
What's your opinion on the scents? Would love to hear how these 2 perform for you. Especially since you like their other offerings. Let us know how they compare.

I recently became aware that VDH has introduced a couple of new shave soaps. Since I've had good shaves from their other products, I thought I would try them out and see what they're like. So here go my thoughts. Remember it's YMMV in all things shaving.

Price/Value: I got mine for $4.99 for a 3.5 oz puck. I'll give it a 8 out of 10

Scent: If you're looking for a strong/lasting scent you'll want to look elsewhere. Of course that could just be the result of my covid wrecked nose. I get a pleasant, light fresh scent that I find quite pleasing. it gets a 5 out of 10.

Latherability: Took me a couple of days to dial it in but after getting it all figured out, the lather is just fine. I'll say it never got yogurt like consistency but plenty of usable lather. It gets a 7.5 out of 10

Slickness/Cushion: Nice slickness, the razor used just slide across my face and the cushion provided a very nice face feel while shaving. Giving it an 8 out of 10

Post Shave Feel: Very good indeed. Left my face feeling smooth/soft/moistured. It gets a 9 out of 10

Quality: Well, subjective for sure but I believe it to be a pretty good product that perfoms well and has proviided my with very nice shaves. It gets an 8.5 out of 10

Buy Again?: I would.

Top Bottom