What's new

Who Still Uses Williams Shaving Soap? What Have you Settled on as a Replacement? Thoughts on other Commercial Shaving Soaps as Alternatives?

I just wore through my old shave soap, and the company I used to like (Crabtree and Evelyn) apparently stopped doing men's products. And isn't thought of very highly in these parts it seems. I found people liked Williams, so naturally they stopped making it just as I started looking :sob:

I bought Cella Red, Green and Arko, and like them all. They lather up really nicely, help give a comfy shave. More cushion than I was accustomed to.

One question I had is, do tallow soaps normally dry out a bit quickly? I haven't used them before, and it seems like it either wants a wetter lather, or refreshing a bit more often than a vegetarian soap.

Anyway, loving the forum when things like this come up and the internet is mostly awash with marketing mumbo.

I missed the boat on Williams. I just took a look to check its availability. Amazon has one going for $111.00. That’s the most I’ve ever seen for any soap. It makes MdC or SV seem like bargains!
IMG_7320.png
If

I just wore through my old shave soap, and the company I used to like (Crabtree and Evelyn) apparently stopped doing men's products. And isn't thought of very highly in these parts it seems. I found people liked Williams, so naturally they stopped making it just as I started looking :sob:

I bought Cella Red, Green and Arko, and like them all. They lather up really nicely, help give a comfy shave. More cushion than I was accustomed to.

One question I had is, do tallow soaps normally dry out a bit quickly? I haven't used them before, and it seems like it either wants a wetter lather, or refreshing a bit more often than a vegetarian soap.

Anyway, loving the forum when things like this come up and the internet is mostly awash with marketing mumbo.
For hard tallow soaps, like Arko, I've not noticed any accelerated drying on the sticks or pucks compared to vegan based soaps. I use triple milled hard tallow based soaps such as Williams, Mitchell's Wool Fat, D.R. Harris and Cyril R. Salter in addition to Arko. No difference in this area to my vegan based hard soaps such as new formula Tabac and Razorock What-the-Puck.

I have noticed some drying in my soft Italian soaps. I use the TFS Ciotola Rosa "Red Bowl" and Razorock soft Italian soaps (same manufacturer) and noticed that my oldest soap, an 18 month old Razorock P.160, looks like it dried out a bit. Not surprising as the moisture content in these soft soaps is much higher than that of the hard soaps. Note that all of the soft Italian soaps I use are vegan based (primarily saponified stearic acid and coconut oil) so what I'm observing has nothing to do with tallow.

Let us know if what you are referring too is primarily occurring in your soft Italian Cella soaps. Note that your Cella Green is vegan while the Red and Arko are tallow based.

For my P.160 I was able to rehydrate and soften it just by loading with a wetter than normal shaving brush on a recent shave.

I missed the boat on Williams. I just took a look to check its availability. Amazon has one going for $111.00. That’s the most I’ve ever seen for any soap. It makes MdC or SV seem like bargains!
View attachment 1862063If
Yes but it's only $20 per month for 6 months. Of course any daily shaver will still be paying off the puck after it is used up.
🤣

Interesting that this Canadian price is so much higher than the $42 U.S. price for the same "Just for Men Store" listing. I can't believe anyone is paying these prices. If they were we'd likely see lots of Williams listed on our B&B BST.

At its original 99 cents a puck Williams was one of the best shaving soap values out there. At even $5 per puck there are better values out there.

Yes but it's only $20 per month for 6 months. Of course any daily shaver will still be paying off the puck after it is used up.
🤣

Interesting that this Canadian price is so much higher than the $42 U.S. price for the same "Just for Men Store" listing. I can't believe anyone is paying these prices. If they were we'd likely see lots of Williams listed on our B&B BST.

At its original 99 cents a puck Williams was one of the best shaving soap values out there. At even $5 per puck there are better values out there.
The payment plan sounds good! lol. Thankfully there are no shortage of fantastic options. At som point I’ll give the Razorock and Fendrihan soaps a try. Williams at 99 cents would have been an amazing bargain. In 2023 I tried Tabac for the first time and it’s now my favourite. The first puck was the tallow based while the one I’m working on now is the veggie formula. I like them both!

The payment plan sounds good! lol. Thankfully there are no shortage of fantastic options. At som point I’ll give the Razorock and Fendrihan soaps a try. Williams at 99 cents would have been an amazing bargain. In 2023 I tried Tabac for the first time and it’s now my favourite. The first puck was the tallow based while the one I’m working on now is the veggie formula. I like them both!
I also have the veggie Tabac (never used the tallow version) and find it to be one of my best shaving soaps. Easy to load and produces great lather. Glad I threw some in to my fall'22 Connaught Shaving orders.

Arko is the best direct alternative to Williams at $1-2 per stick. Razorock What-the-Puck is the best value puck alternative in my rotation. If you like soft Italian soaps the TFS Ciotola Rosa "Red Bowl" is another value option. Razorock Classic Italian soft soap is also a great deal when they put it on sale for $3.99 per tub.

I also have the veggie Tabac (never used the tallow version) and find it to be one of my best shaving soaps. Easy to load and produces great lather. Glad I threw some in to my fall'22 Connaught Shaving orders.

Arko is the best direct alternative to Williams at $1-2 per stick. Razorock What-the-Puck is the best value puck alternative in my rotation. If you like soft Italian soaps the TFS Ciotola Rosa "Red Bowl" is another value option. Razorock Classic Italian soft soap is also a great deal when they put it on sale for $3.99 per tub.
Thank you for the suggestions! I started with soft soaps. Tabac was the first hard soap I tried. I haven't looked back.

For hard tallow soaps, like Arko, I've not noticed any accelerated drying on the sticks or pucks compared to vegan based soaps. I use triple milled hard tallow based soaps such as Williams, Mitchell's Wool Fat, D.R. Harris and Cyril R. Salter in addition to Arko. No difference in this area to my vegan based hard soaps such as new formula Tabac and Razorock What-the-Puck.

I have noticed some drying in my soft Italian soaps. I use the TFS Ciotola Rosa "Red Bowl" and Razorock soft Italian soaps (same manufacturer) and noticed that my oldest soap, an 18 month old Razorock P.160, looks like it dried out a bit. Not surprising as the moisture content in these soft soaps is much higher than that of the hard soaps. Note that all of the soft Italian soaps I use are vegan based (primarily saponified stearic acid and coconut oil) so what I'm observing has nothing to do with tallow.

Let us know if what you are referring too is primarily occurring in your soft Italian Cella soaps. Note that your Cella Green is vegan while the Red and Arko are tallow based.

For my P.160 I was able to rehydrate and soften it just by loading with a wetter than normal shaving brush on a recent shave.
Ah yes! Sorry I should have said I noticed the Cella green soap seems to stay wetter longer on my face than the red. I was writing tired.

Overall I really like the tallow soaps, but I do note the Arko leaves my skin feeling a little dry after the shave is over. I may try the coconut oil trick on one stick...

Ah yes! Sorry I should have said I noticed the Cella green soap seems to stay wetter longer on my face than the red. I was writing tired.

Overall I really like the tallow soaps, but I do note the Arko leaves my skin feeling a little dry after the shave is over. I may try the coconut oil trick on one stick...
Sounds like you are referring to the lather drying too fast after application and post-shave feel versus deterioration of the puck/stick itself that I was commenting on. I personally have not had that problem with any of my tallow soaps, including Arko, though others on B&B have noted that Arko has has a drying effect on their skin similar to what you have experienced.

FYI @Chandu has four pucks of Williams for sale on the BST for $30 U.S. including CONUS shipping. Two of the pucks are Canadian vintage. Sense this is a fair price for Williams today.

FYI @Chandu has four pucks of Williams for sale on the BST for $30 U.S. including CONUS shipping. Two of the pucks are Canadian vintage. Sense this is a fair price for Williams today.
Thank you for letting me know. I’ll give this one some thought but likely that Shipping outside of the US will put this one out of my range.

Top Bottom