What's new

USADA to ban Armstrong for life and strip of his seven (7) Tour titles. :-(

Lance Armstong's problem isn't just that he doped, though that is a problem in itself, but that he doped, while vehemently denying that he did, and viciously attacking anyone else who said that he did.

I do find it humorous that once the winner is stripped of his medals, there isn't another clean person to give them to.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
titles or not, doping or not, he was still the best of his generation. and who do you award those titles to? certainly not the 2nd place finisher, for he
was doping as well. they all were.

i really wish he didn't choose to subject himself to the biased firing squad that is oprah.

That's like saying Andy Kaufman really is the world's inter-gender wrestling champion.

Who else should we give it to? How about someone who abided by the rules.

ouch

your naivety is charming. you sound a bit like Diogenes, carrying your lantern in broad daylight, looking for an "honest man".

If there are no honest participants, then it is not a sport at all, and should be shut down. I'd sooner see that than honor the best cheater.

This is my second and last time posting in here. If you feel like quoting me to get a response, save your breath.

1. Lance is a cheater, plain and simple. The argument that "everyone else is doing it, so it's OK" doesn't hold water in my world. In fact I don't really care about the PED'S. It's his body, he can do what he wants.

2. Livestrong was built on a lie, he was the front man. The foundation wouldn't exist, to the extent it does today, without Lance, and it certainly wouldn't be as big as it is, if he were just a Joe schmo. People would've just given to the Jimmy V foundation etc. This doesn't mean that I want to terminate Livestrong. They do good work and someone shouldn't be turned away for treatment. It's not their fault Lance is who he is.

3. The people , I most care about, are the individuals whom Lance stomped on to perpetuate these lies. Peoples lives were ruined and threatened so he could live this lie. They should be made whole, in whatever capacity that involves, and if it bankrupts Lance, so be it.

I couldn't agree more. Great post.
This is my second and last time posting in here. If you feel like quoting me to get a response, save your breath.

1. Lance is a cheater, plain and simple. The argument that "everyone else is doing it, so it's OK" doesn't hold water in my world. In fact I don't really care about the PED'S. It's his body, he can do what he wants.

2. Livestrong was built on a lie, he was the front man. The foundation wouldn't exist, to the extent it does today, without Lance, and it certainly wouldn't be as big as it is, if he were just a Joe schmo. People would've just given to the Jimmy V foundation etc. This doesn't mean that I want to terminate Livestrong. They do good work and someone shouldn't be turned away for treatment. It's not their fault Lance is who he is.

3. The people , I most care about, are the individuals whom Lance stomped on to perpetuate these lies. Peoples lives were ruined and threatened so he could live this lie. They should be made whole, in whatever capacity that involves, and if it bankrupts Lance, so be it.

What are any of your opinions on Lance now that he has apparently admitted to doping? I think it makes me think less of him actually because of his personal attacks towards anyone and everyone who ever questioned him or accused him. I read on ESPN.com today that he may be naming other names in the near future to reduce his own ban, which is exactly what he attacked all his former teammates for. I kind of wish he just went away instead of coming out now, and especially doing it on Oprah. It will be interesting to see what he actually admits to and says when it airs.

I heard he only admitted to doping BEFORE he had cancer.

titles or not, doping or not, he was still the best of his generation. and who do you award those titles to? certainly not the 2nd place finisher, for he
was doping as well. they all were.

i really wish he didn't choose to subject himself to the biased firing squad that is oprah.

Don't like the guy very much but he had a great amount of talent.

Stage 15 of 2003 he falls and then one of his pedals breaks. Ends up winning the stage.

Lance Armstong's problem isn't just that he doped, though that is a problem in itself, but that he doped, while vehemently denying that he did, and viciously attacking anyone else who said that he did.

I do find it humorous that once the winner is stripped of his medals, there isn't another clean person to give them to.

He kept lying so much that he started believing his own lies.

It takes a certain attitude to win 7 titles and them keep defending them.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I thought it a witch hunt based on the actions of the hunters, not the guilt or innocence of the witch. After all that work he should have keep a stiff upper lip and took it to the grave. I find it unlikely he admitted to cheating because his conscience keep him up at night. I don't think too many people believed he was clean, but I think many hoped he was.

I wanted to believe that Armstrong was clean, but began to doubt it when Floyd Landis said that he was doping. Floyd just didn't seem like the kind of person to make up something like that, and being with Armstrong on a few Tours, he'd have been in a position to know.

What I find interesting is the 2 different perspectives .
1) "Sport" perspective, burn him at the stake, the worst person every (lol..maybe not that strong but not far off)
ie: Al Trautwig, TDF commentator
2) "cancer" perspective, Don't really care if he did or didn't take PED's
ie: Stuart Scott , ESPN commentator.

Just from friends I've spoken to it pretty interesting.
Mountain bike friends, thinks he's the worst. Two close friend with cancer. One who is free and clear now and one that is fighting it.. could careless about what he did. Their perspective is regardless of what he did in a "sport" the amount of money and awareness he has brought to cancer research out weights it's

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Time and again, we've seen the issue of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs in elite sports. One of the aspects of that, which I find interesting in the current circumstances, is the attitude of some athletes who "juice" when dealing with the health consequences of these drugs ... they sort of shrug it off, saying that they'd do anything to win, and that includes jeopardising their future health. (Of course, they say this when they are 23 and training for the next Olympics ... it'd be interesting to see how many still feel that way when they are 43 and all sorts of bad stuff is happening to their bodies.)

Well ... it makes me wonder.

Does that "forget the future ... I'll do anything to win NOW" attitude make a transfer over to Lance and his current situation? Does he accept his current misfortunes as the price he has to pay for being "the greatest cyclist ever, with an asterix" ... for having won the Tour de France seven years in a row?

If he could turn back time, and NOT dope, NOT win the Tour de France even once, not make millions, not face disgrace and ruin, not get on Oprah ... would he?

... and if 42-year-old Lance Armstrong could travel back in time and tell 22-year-old Lance not to juice ... would the younger Lance just tell him to pound sand, or listen??

:blink:

ouch

I think the 22 year old Lance already told the 42 year old Lance to pound sand, and then proceeded to become him.

dealing with the health consequences of these drugs
It isn't just the drugs:

Since sport is all about achieving the best physical prowess possible, I don't see that taking drugs - in itself - is inherently wrong. It seems to me that it's only cheating if it's against the rules, and it should only be against the rules if it is not known to be safe. But if safety is the determining factor, should there not also be controls on the sport itself, and the training required?

Top Bottom