What's new

Lance Armstong: A Tale of Triumph takes a Dark Turn

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
These are sad times for Lance. :001_unsur

By Jere Longman - 11 Oct 12 - NY Times

"Just before the 1999 Tour de France, a teammate pointed out that Lance Armstrong had a bruise on his upper arm caused by a syringe. According g to a doping investigation, Armstrong cursed and said, “That’s not good.”

A public weigh-in of the riders was to be attended by the news media. A team masseuse found some makeup, and Armstrong’s bruise, and the doping that investigators assert caused it, was ultimately concealed. The 1999 Tour was supposed to be one of renewal after a doping scandal engulfed the 1998 race. Instead, Armstrong won his first of his seven Tours by using the prohibited blood-boosting agent EPO and the steroid hormone testosterone, according to a 200-page report released Wednesday by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.

While Armstrong has long protested his innocence, retroactive testing found EPO in six of Armstrong’s urine samples from the 1999 race, according to the report. In addition, the report said, five fellow riders on Armstrong’s 1999 United States Postal Service team — George Hincapie, Frankie Andreu, Tyler Hamilton, Jonathan Vaughters and Christian Vande Velde — provided affidavits testifying to firsthand knowledge that Armstrong violated antidoping rules, the report said. The evidence that Armstrong used EPO in the 1999 race was overwhelming, the report said, adding, “No other conclusion is even plausible.”

The tale behind Armstrong’s first Tour triumph, an achievement that made him an instant celebrity, is laid out in the investigative report in almost novelistic fashion. It involves a man on a motorcycle who delivered drugs to Armstrong’s team, an Italian doctor who was famous for helping riders dope, a training regimen designed to avoid drug testing, and the active complicity of the team masseuse.

The 1999 racing season began, the report said, with an unlikely goal for Armstrong, a cancer survivor: to win the Tour de France. He would skip many of the buildup races to concentrate on his sport’s major event. And for fuel, the report said, he would rely on banned substances. A new team director, Johan Bruyneel, and team doctor, Luis Garcia del Moral, were hired that year for the Postal Service team. Armstrong called the team the Bad News Bears. He wanted a new team, according to the affidavit by Vaughters, his teammate, because the outgoing doctor, Pedro Celaya, “had not been aggressive enough for Armstrong in providing banned products.”

Bruyneel and del Moral, on the other hand, had formerly been associated with a racing team widely known, the report said, for “its organized team doping.” Cyclists who wanted to dope had two main advantages in 1999, the report noted. Cycling’s international governing body had no organized out-of-competition drug testing program — considered the only effective way to catch those using banned substances. The governing body also did not require riders to make their whereabouts known during training so that they could be screened.

Much of Armstrong’s pre-Tour training in 1999 was spent along remote mountain roads of the Alps and the Pyrenees. Two teammates — Hamilton and Kevin Livingston — assisted him with arduous climbing, the report said. A regular attendee at these training camps, the report said, was an Italian sports doctor named Michele Ferrari, who would later be accused by American doping officials of trafficking in banned substances.

Hamilton was first injected with EPO in 1999 by Ferrari during training at Sestriere, an Italian ski village that would be a mountaintop finish during the Tour, the report said. Andreu said in an affidavit that he received EPO injections at races that year from del Moral, the Postal Service team doctor.

Pepe Marti, the Postal Service team trainer, also provided EPO to riders in 1999, the report said. At a late dinner in Nice, France, Betsy Andreu, Frankie’s wife, said that Marti arrived to provide what she was told was EPO to Armstrong. The dinner was held late, she said, because Marti was traveling from Spain and considered it safer to cross the border at night.” Armstrong took a brown paper bag from Marti, held it up and, according to Andreu, called it “liquid gold.”

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/s...riumph-takes-a-dark-turn.html?ref=sports&_r=0

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
"Things do not pass for what they are"...Baltasar Gracian

Attachments

• $Cycling-1349913975003-articleLarge.jpg
    $Cycling-1349913975003-articleLarge.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 306
I wanted (still want to) to believe him but the amount of evidence stacked agaisnt him and all the circumstances makes it hard to. Even without the evidence, in my life I've noticed and learned that there's always some truth to every rumor. I think this will play out the same way the Marion Jones ordeal played out, he will come clean years later when he realizes that maybe he should've come clean a long time ago. The mess is just too big to clean up now.

I just finished Tyler Hamilton's new book "The Secret Race", which details both his and Lance's doping with EPO, testosterone, blood doping, etc. for literally years and years, and how virtually the fastest third of the Tour's peleton was doing it as well. Once Tyler came clean and spoke up, he was ostracized by not only Lance but the entire pro peleton.

While I believe that Lance probably did use EPO and other banned substances during his career, he was one among many. He just had a higher profile than any other racer at the time and was better at covering it up than those who got caught. The whole pro cycling community has for many years been based on such substance abuse, and the authorities are always willing to turn a blind eye to it as long as their bottom line isn't affected.

The doping scandals of the 1990's and 2000's pretty much turned me away from cycling, and I worked for 3 years in a bike shop and at one time considered a career as a race mechanic. Sad to say, but true, I'm afraid...

The real victims here are the people who believed--and may still believe--that Lance and other pros race clean.

Last edited:
My problem here it two fold. 1. Everything I've read is other riders saying things like so and so doped, I doped, we all doped, of course he doped (yet no one has any proof, it's all he said she said) 2. He passed all tests. Was he doping? Almost certainly, the same as any competitive athlete will if they really want to win. The same as almost all the Olympic athletes who won medals recently but tested clean. Why is there such a witch hunt to get Lance?

My problem here it two fold. 1. Everything I've read is other riders saying things like so and so doped, I doped, we all doped, of course he doped (yet no one has any proof, it's all he said she said) 2. He passed all tests. Was he doping? Almost certainly, the same as any competitive athlete will if they really want to win. The same as almost all the Olympic athletes who won medals recently but tested clean. Why is there such a witch hunt to get Lance?
There's a witch hunt simply because the man's ego is the size of Jupiter. And he won 7 titles in a ROW and basically called everyone who spoke out against him either a liar or a sore loser. That pisses people off, especially when there's a mountain of evidence that he's lying through his teeth, but he's untouchable because he's a cancer survivor and does humanitarian work through his foundation. That spurs people on to expose him.

Does it matter since the sport as a whole is so dirty? I don't know.

If doping is such a big part of the sport, they should just acknowledge it and allow it. That way, no one can be said to be cheating since everyone is doing it. Everyone is back on an even playing field.

In my opinion the sport is dirty (like baseball and football) and all of the top riders are doping. Instead of finding a solution for the wide spread doping, they went after one person.

If doping is such a big part of the sport, they should just acknowledge it and allow it. That way, no one can be said to be cheating since everyone is doing it. Everyone is back on an even playing field.

Because it ruins your body. As soon as it is declared legal, the doses will inevitably go up.

From what I have seen they are trying to punish the man for stuff that was not against the rules the day of the race. Who ever heard of keeping a blood sample 10 + years. And how to we know it was stored properly and was not tainted by some Lance Hater.

1 Fact I know if Lance was a Frenchman not a word of this nonsense would be talked about.

From what I have seen they are trying to punish the man for stuff that was not against the rules the day of the race. Who ever heard of keeping a blood sample 10 + years. And how to we know it was stored properly and was not tainted by some Lance Hater.

1 Fact I know if Lance was a Frenchman not a word of this nonsense would be talked about.
It's this attitude that shielded Lance for years, too. Remember, at the time he was winning, there was a whole "America, @#$% yeah!" attitude and an "us against them" mentality. If the Euros were arrogant, so could we be, because we had the biggest and best guy and they're just jealous etc. But remember that Spanish, Italian, German, French and many other nationalities of riders have all been investigated and banned at one time or another (as well as recently) so that argument is a straw man.

Lance is the #1 target because he "won" so many titles. And the time has passed that his teammates feel they have to protect him.

The saddest part to me is that things will probably get worse. If you're at or near the top of world standings in a sport, then the temptation/obsession to beat everyone else or even maintain your performance as you age, and the money involved, will end up in scarier drugs, genetic mods, stem cell injections, and who knows what else will appear. If they don't pursue the cheating and lying, I believe the passion about sports, all sports, will decline. Athletes will become creepy, not just celebrities.

You'd be hard pressed to find any professional sport where performance enhancing drugs don't exist. They're saturated through all of the major sports in the US, and abroad. I think they should let them be on the dope, let them wreck their bodies, whether they want to admit it or not they know what they're doing to themselves and in their mind the risk vs. reward is there for them. Heck, professional bodybuilding has all but flat out admitted it why else would there be a need for a "natural" category? (which is absolutely laughable)

Then usually the argument turns to "well kids look up to them as role models", well tell the kids the truth, instead of the lie they keep being fed today. Tell the kids, yes he's that good because he uses drugs to get there. Then maybe when they know their favorite athlete is dead at 40 from a massive heart attack because they wanted to shave a 100th of a second off their 100M time, or add all that extra "muscle mass" they'll choose not to do it.

I'm just gutted that the Dodgeball movie becomes so meaningless. Peter LaFleur would never have gone back to win with the Average Joe's if he'd known Lance was a cheat.

I'm just gutted that the Dodgeball movie becomes so meaningless. Peter LaFleur would never have gone back to win with the Average Joe's if he'd known Lance was a cheat.
This is an excellent point! :biggrin1:
Armstrong is and was a cheater/doper, he probably brought his testicular cancer upon himself from doping. He then continued to dope, won a bunch of races, made a ton of money off his heartwarming story, and started a foundation (I have no problem with his foundation). These are all personal opinions of mine, but when my kids ask me about him I tell them he's a cheater and a liar. However, like many other scandals in the world of sports, entertainment, and politics, it really has no outcome on my daily life.

Reading about it here and it unfortunately doesn't make pleasant reading

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/10/10/live-blog-lance-armstrong-report/

"Vande Velde, according to his affidavit, said Garcia del Moral “would run into the room and you would quickly find a needle in your arm.”

"In affidavit from Betsy Andreu, the wife of U.S. Postal Service cyclist Frankie Andreu, she recalled dining at a restaurant in Nice, France, in 1999 with Lance and wife Kristin Armstrong; cyclist Kevin Livingston and his fiancee; and Marti and his girlfriend, Isabella. (Frankie Andreu was at a race and didn't attend dinner.) Dinner was later than usual, Betsy Andreu said, because Marti was bringing Armstrong EPO and it was easier to cross the border at night. After dinner, Andreu said, Marti gave Armstrong a brown paper bag. As Armstrong opened a car door for Andreu, he smiled, held up the bag and said, "liquid gold."

Top Bottom