What's new

USADA to ban Armstrong for life and strip of his seven (7) Tour titles. :-(

He wasn't clean. I've worked for years in contest prep (bodybuilding) and had conversations with some of the biggest names in the sports nutrition industry.
EPO is easily obtained and more easily injected.

Unless someone who has had personal use can argue otherwise, if you haven't had a tangibility to the "dark side" of sports, an opinion of not guilty is based on feelings of instead of work in the field.

Interesting comments all around, fellas. I'm not a cyclist, but always admired Lance. Remember, he didn't just beat testicular cancer, he beat metastatic cancer that had spread to his brain and lungs-nobody does that! But Lance did.

Didn't he win most of his TdF's after this? The almost inhuman, indeed even savage dedication it would take to recover from such a physical blow and do that is almost beyond comprehension to me, and seems beyond what the human body is capable of. It is sad if he indeed dope, but even his detractors must admit he is an extraordinary athlete/human being.

My boyhood hero was Hank Aaron. I would probably be pretty shocked if I heard he hit 715 home runs on drugs, so I sympathize with you cyclists.

There are injectible peptides, GHRP-6 being one of the most notable as well as other long-ester hormonals that will absolutely heal beyond 100% damaged muscles and broken synapses, making recovery much faster and cleaner.

Interesting side note, Illadelphia-My best friend and next door neighbor growing up gradually became one of the most promising bodybuilders in the Southeast. He trained in the local gym of a multiple-Mr. Olympia winner (whom you can probably figure out.)
He had a roomful of trophies and probably could have competed nationally at some point. I mean he was truly one of those guys people pass on the street and go, "Oh my god." I enjoyed hanging out with him, going to the movies and all, just for the looks on people's faces (not to mention the girls it attracted). Truth is, he was constantly on various oral and injectable steroids (or "juice" in the 80's). It wrecked his health, and he really let himself go later. It's more common than people think, apparently even in high school sports now.

I can't even begin to tell you some of the things I've heard. Clients asking for absurd things.. "Hey man, do you still have that european pharmacy?" Kids in HS taking "pro hormones" because they weren't real AAS. Let me tell you that they were very much so. A chemist removing one bond from the nomenclature to make it available for internet sale doesn't remove the potency, nor does it remove the need for the liver working much harder to process it (oral steroids are much more dangerous).

I watched people who had no idea what they were doing take this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4-Dinitrophenol

Which can burn a half pound of pure fat per day by raising the internal body temp to almost cook itself. It was originally given to the jews by the germans in WW2 to keep them warm through the winter.

While I feel like using AAS is a moral issue and in no way should be looked down upon, 99% of the people that use it are your typical gym rat and not someone competing. There is an incredible documentary on the subject called "Bigger, Stronger, Faster". If you have the time please give it a watch. Chris Bell did an amazing job.

What are any of your opinions on Lance now that he has apparently admitted to doping? I think it makes me think less of him actually because of his personal attacks towards anyone and everyone who ever questioned him or accused him. I read on ESPN.com today that he may be naming other names in the near future to reduce his own ban, which is exactly what he attacked all his former teammates for. I kind of wish he just went away instead of coming out now, and especially doing it on Oprah. It will be interesting to see what he actually admits to and says when it airs.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I would normally multi-quote all of the comments in this thread supporting him and calling this a witch hunt, but it would overload the software.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
What are any of your opinions on Lance now that he has apparently admitted to doping? I think it makes me think less of him actually because of his personal attacks towards anyone and everyone who ever questioned him or accused him. I read on ESPN.com today that he may be naming other names in the near future to reduce his own ban, which is exactly what he attacked all his former teammates for. I kind of wish he just went away instead of coming out now, and especially doing it on Oprah. It will be interesting to see what he actually admits to and says when it airs.
proxy.php
...the Mrs. and I are shocked! :shocked:

Obviously, our thoughts tend to go towards the ‘let down’ feelings of the many (the Mrs. and I included), who for years supported, had faith, trusted and ‘believed’ in him. Now we know we have all been grossly deceived. :sneaky2:
The question now that must be asked is, what will this do to the sport now (already beset with doping troubles)?
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon and the truth". Buddha

Last edited:
Not surprised at all, it's damage control time and America/the World love it when folks fall from grace then give a tear filled apology.

And I still stand by my comment of this was a witch hunt by someone with an axe to grind.

I am disappointed in him. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. In this case he abused the trust of the sport and his followers. In hindsight, his attitude and conduct since these allegations originally broke are reprehensible. Like I said, I am very disappointed in him and feel very bad for the Livestrong Foundation which will undoubtedly suffer as a result.

Last edited:
The only people with an axe to grind were the people charged with maintaining fairness in competition. I was a fan and supporter, but his behavior has been beyond self serving and rude. He accused all his former team mates of lyingg, and trying to get sweetheart deals, which he is now doing. To say I am disappointed would be a huge understatement. I guess it is now clear that greg LeMond is the greatest American cyclist ever.

I would normally multi-quote all of the comments in this thread supporting him and calling this a witch hunt, but it would overload the software.

+1

It's very interesting going back, to the beginning, and reading this thread.

Crow ...................it's what's for dinner.

The only people with an axe to grind were the people charged with maintaining fairness in competition. I was a fan and supporter, but his behavior has been beyond self serving and rude. He accused all his former team mates of lyingg, and trying to get sweetheart deals, which he is now doing. To say I am disappointed would be a huge understatement. I guess it is now clear that greg LeMond is the greatest American cyclist ever.

I agree. I became interested in cycling due to Lance and still love to watch the Tour every year. However, I can remember many fine riders who got caught doping--Floyd Landis and Jan Ullrich come to mind--but if I remember correctly, they did not attack like a cornered dog as Armstrong has done. Armstrong--as good as he is--is a narcissistic psychopath and I don't hope to ever see him race again.

I agree. I became interested in cycling due to Lance and still love to watch the Tour every year. However, I can remember many fine riders who got caught doping--Floyd Landis and Jan Ullrich come to mind--but if I remember correctly, they did not attack like a cornered dog as Armstrong has done. Armstrong--as good as he is--is a narcissistic psychopath and I don't hope to ever see him race again.

Are you a doctor? As you watch the Tour think of every rider on something. Yes, it is disappointing to find out Armstrong took performance enhancing drugs and hide it for a lot of years. But I think I am going to have to hear what he took. It is unrealistic to expect athletes to ride over 100 miles a day at 27-30 miles per hour for the equivalent of a month and expect recovery to occur with food, rest and sleep. It would be my belief the entire Peloton takes something. And in his case win 7 tours and other races after recovering from metastasized testicular cancer. I know I could not even think of how to do that and what will and fortitude it might take. So if for recovery, I think cycling should allow procedures for participants. To specifically take drugs that build muscle mass or increase performance in other ways not associated with recovery should be banned (think of Barry Bonds). Hard to control and maybe not practical. Or, change the character and expectations of the sport and athletes. For Lance secifically, I don't think we will see him competing again at those levels so we won't have to see him in that context. Hopefully the Foundation can recover and continue to do good work. What type of man is he at this point to come forward? no matter what he did in the recent past. A lot of anecdotal evidence suggests he is guilty of something but the fact remains he never tested positive for any banned substance. Let's see what he admits to.

The question now that must be asked is, what will this do tothe sport now (already beset with doping troubles)?
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I grew up watching the tour and became a real Tour de France fan during the Miguel Indurain era (before Lance was ever mentioned). There was always talk about doping and I never liked it and hoped that it was just an odd case in a sport that is ultimately fair. Around five years ago though, when Jan Ulrich and Floyd Landis were testing positive and whole teams had to be removed from the tour, I simply could not be interested anymore. It became clear that doping is more ingrained in the sport than fans wanted to admit.

So, I stopped watching a long time before Lance's 'revelation' (which is why I felt no need to join this thread until now). My guess that many modern fans became interested in the sport because of Lance. Sadly if those Lance fans lose interest the way I did, the Tour will slowly become a shell of its former self.

All athletes "cheat." They do things like exercise, to transform their bodies into unnatural states before participating in sport. Many (most? all?) take creatine. Nothing natural about consuming that performance enhancing substance. So where do you draw the line? And why?

And yes, it was a witch hunt. One person's guilt or innocence is not a measure of how ethical the enquiry was. There were threats, bullying, plea bargaining, unstoppable resources aimed at proving guilt. Nothing fair or just in that at all. The ends do not justify the means.

But if he has admitted lying, I'm not too interested in anything he has to say.

titles or not, doping or not, he was still the best of his generation. and who do you award those titles to? certainly not the 2nd place finisher, for he
was doping as well. they all were.

i really wish he didn't choose to subject himself to the biased firing squad that is oprah.

Agreed!
titles or not, doping or not, he was still the best of his generation. and who do you award those titles to? certainly not the 2nd place finisher, for he
was doping as well. they all were.

i really wish he didn't choose to subject himself to the biased firing squad that is oprah.

Top Bottom