What's new

Lance Armstong: A Tale of Triumph takes a Dark Turn

Question (because I don't know a lot about this):

Are the PEDs that Lance Armstrong is being accused of using illegal in general, or just not allowed in cycling (and other sports)? I mean, if I wanted to purchase whatever it is that he's being accused of using, could I do it?

One of the PEDs he's accused of using is EPO. It is a legal drug that is prescribed for severe anemics, those with kidney disorders, and cancer patients. It increased the oxygen carried by the blood.

There are some OTC's which are banned by cycling, but there are specific reasons for them. There is a maximum dose for antihistamines because they mimic some stimulants. Corticosteroids are also banned, but may occasionally be used for saddle sores with approval. Armstrong did use a topical cortisone for saddle sores in one of his early victories (either 2000 or 01).

Ironically, the main sponsor of the Tour of California is Amgen -- the manufacturer of 2 forms of EPO for anemics

Kelly

Today's New York Times has a good article explaining the whole story. There simply is no way that so many people close to Armstrong would have put everything on the line to tell identical stories if those stories were not true. The conspiracy theory doesn't make any sense to me under all the circumstances. (And then there's also the physical evidence.) As for the legality of what he and they did, it is a federal felony, pure and simple. He won't be prosecuted for those crimes because the level of proof necessary just isn't there after the passage of time. But let's not fool ourselves into believing that he only broke the rules of his sport, and let's not forget that there are good reasons for the criminal laws prohibiting people from taking and selling very dangerous drugs without prescriptions.

There simply is no way that so many people close to Armstrong would have put everything on the line to tell identical stories if those stories were not true.

And why would they put everything on the line even if they ARE true?
Simple. The USADA made them, with threats, and with offers that amounted to plea bargaining. They even offered Lance a sweet deal if he rolled over.
The similarities with the McCarthy witch hunts are quite obvious.

Regardless of whether Armstrong is guilty or not, the whole enquiry is tainted.

Lance Armstrong is a cheat, a bully, and a fraud who finally got what he deserves. The whole saga of his career is pathetic, sickening, and sad. I used to be a huge fan and supporter, but that flew away long ago.

Read the report and the articles with an open mind. There is no witch hunt. The truth has finally come out.

given the evidence thus far, I do believe he doped and honestly I knew he was lying. His tone in his books... he's like an ego-maniac, demigod. so sad.
I used to admire the man but his books gave me a deeper perspective. still, I do think the French hated the fact an American was winning the Tour and were out to castrate him since his early days. still, I feel more sorry for the man's soul. if that makes any sense

Lance Armstrong is a cheat, a bully, and a fraud who finally got what he deserves. The whole saga of his career is pathetic, sickening, and sad. I used to be a huge fan and supporter, but that flew away long ago.

Read the report and the articles with an open mind. There is no witch hunt. The truth has finally come out.

I don't side with or against Lance but I disagree, it's very much been a witch hunt by definition.

In a sport full of dopers, name one that has been pursued as much. I can't think of any. The powers that be were not going to relent until they came up with something

I don't side with or against Lance but I disagree, it's very much been a witch hunt by definition.

In a sport full of dopers, name one that has been pursued as much. I can't think of any. The powers that be were not going to relent until they came up with something

He's been chased because he hasn't been caught and everyone has, Floyd Landis was chased just as much. It's not like the cycling federation created the evidence, it was from team mates and other cyclists that tested positive for PED's themselves and saw Lance get away with it and make a fortune by it.

He's been chased because he hasn't been caught and everyone has, Floyd Landis was chased just as much. It's not like the cycling federation created the evidence, it was from team mates and other cyclists that tested positive for PED's themselves and saw Lance get away with it and make a fortune by it.

Floyd wasn't chased. He tested positive and was stripped of the title the same year he won it.
Which follows the same pattern as most resent winners that tested positive.

IMO there is no sport without the use of PED's. Name the sport and I'm sure with a little digging you can find someone who does or have been caught using PED's. It's the nature of sport, I want to see home run races and not no hitters and perfect games. I quit watching baseball for that reason, it is back to being boring.

There are always ways to around testing and even "natural" events are still dirty. But hey, we know athletes are doping and we all still buy the products endorsing them, still buy tickets to games and still wait in line for pictures with them. If so many people are against the "pure" sport then stop going to any sporting event.

It is just not sports where people have been caught. Football is filled with PED, FILLED with it. The NFL does NOTHING about it and most Americans are living in fantasy land avoiding the truth.

Anyways, Ben Johnson became the scapegoat for PED in track racing where everyone was doing it. Seems like now it is Lance Armstrong's turn. It's funny that most Americans didn't have a problem with Ben Johnson being the scapegoat yet now they have a problem with the "witch haunt" after Armstrong.

Well said.

+1000 He should just legally change his name to Richard Virenque and this would all go away...

Americans need to wake up. When I first heard of Lance and PED like a decade ago, American media laughed at the thought and said the French are just out to get him because he is American. Well guess who turned out to be right...?

It is just not sports where people have been caught. Football is filled with PED, FILLED with it. The NFL does NOTHING about it and most Americans are living in fantasy land avoiding the truth.

Anyways, Ben Johnson became the scapegoat for PED in track racing where everyone was doing it. Seems like now it is Lance Armstrong's turn. It's funny that most Americans didn't have a problem with Ben Johnson being the scapegoat yet now they have a problem with the "witch haunt" after Armstrong.

EVERY sport has people that will cheat, bend rules, dope etc...
NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, track and field,... you name it. The thing that's a little different about this case. Is it's happening years removed for his titles. Ben Johnson was caught while the event was happening (at least that's what I recall). Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he was not the only one doping.. he just happened to be the one that got caught at that time.

The thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth about it is the time frame from titles-to-disqualification. It my opinion, if they took any of the TDF / Olympic winners from the past 30 years and looked hard enough, they'll find something on every winner.
It not just Lance, like I said I don't like or dislike him .
On the same note.... Barry Bonds, I can't stand him. If at some point he was found to be juicing during his playing days ( which most would say he did ) I wouldn't agree with MLB stripping his record years removed from his playing days.

I guess my point is this. Almost every pro. sport is tainted. It has been for years and I don't see that change anytime soon.
If you are caught and found guilt during your active career, so be it.
If it's years removed from your active career, in my opinion, it's about the person and someones vendetta, not the problem.

Top Bottom