What's new

Unsolicited opinions, musings, and ramblings from a grumpy old man’s recliner.

Lovely collection! These will likely last you years, but, if, or more likely when, you want to take the next step, I can’t recommend Zenith highly enough. The majority of their boars are sub-$45 and are truly excellent, as are the Semogue SOC boars.

As for your collection, I can’t tell the knot sizes, but I know that a legendary brush maker and B&Ber uses Omega knots when his customers want a 26mm in one of his handles. So, you have some good quality brushes there.

He also uses the Semogue C5 knots (same knot as the SOC) in his handles; I am the proud owner of four of these creations.
Thank you. Your brushes have very beautiful handles. They look great. Omega brushes usually have cheap plastic handles, but great bristles and low cost. I apologize for the muddled presentation of my thoughts. I write in Russian with the help of a translator.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Today is the triweekly Shearing of Grampa Bill.

I’ve been buzzing my dome for the last 15 years. I could see no point in wasting money on haircuts, looking the way I do. Lipsticks on pigs, if you will.

My sister in law gifted me this clipper when I got my first Cavie. I’d never dream of trying to groom him, but, me? Absolutely.

I wonder, though, if I am truly a “Single Coat Breed.”

IMG_5500.jpeg

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Fantastic Friday shave (#98/300+ in 2024)

Still using the Sabre, and, it continues to rank in the Top 2 of all my razors. The Personna Gem PTFE is showing no sign of dullness after 5 shaves. Two-pass DFS++/95% BBS with no irritation at all.

Arko (puck), as always, starts lathering on its own when I look at it. The Big Boar Zenith is starting to soften nicely, but is keeping its backbone.

Wrapped things up with a shower and Dickinson’s Original, a few splashes of The Rub, and Guerlain Vetiver EDT.

All in all, a 10/10.

IMG_5501.jpeg

Let’s discuss pre-shave routines, shall we?

Back in 1976-ish, my Dad taught me to shave with his old Tech. I don’t remember if it was pre war or post war, but, I speculate post.

His routine was to wash his face at the sink with whatever bar soap was in the dish, then to whip up a Williams lather with some cheap rodent brush from the apothecary, dampened under the faucet. He used an Old Spice mug. He followed with a shower and a liberal application of, usually, Skin Bracer or Aqua Velva; Old Spice was for church or going out. Pre-shave tonics didn’t exist then. He also threw leftover bar soap bits into his mug, atop the puck; Lifebuoy, Dial, Safeguard, Mom’s Dove, whatever, it went in.

I’ve continued this technique for all of my wet-shaving life; the difference now is I merely splash with warm water, unless I exceptionally filthy from yard work or some such. Of course, my brushes are infinitely better quality and I don’t use Williams any longer. I pre-soak my brushes in my Dad’s old coffee mug. I also apply Witch Hazel after my shower, before my AS (I use the same ones my Dad did).

Since I shower after my shave, I’m not concerned about soap/AS scent matching. This saves me an acre or two of shelf space.

So, shower before of after? How did your routine come about? Do you use pre-shaves of any class?

Curious minds and so forth.
20240501_205913~2.jpg

My Dad's coffee mug became one of my soap mugs. The "K" was for Kevin.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
@AshleyC

Mine is not nearly as nice, but, it means the world to me. It originally came from the cafe my Granparents ran in Kingman AZ (The Corky Pig Cafe) in the 1950s.

My parents were married in Kingman in November 1959. I searched and searched until I found my E4 Fatboy to commemorate the event.

IMG_5503.jpeg

@AshleyC

Mine is not nearly as nice, but, it means the world to me. It originally came from the cafe my Granparents ran in Kingman AZ (The Corky Pig Cafe) in the 1950s.

My parents were married in Kingman in November 1959. I searched and searched until I found my E4 Fatboy to commemorate the event.

View attachment 1840190
Pretty neat. I can't help but wonder if that wasn't a Route 66 Cafe, back in the day. I think that did pass through or near Kingman, AZ.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
@Dave himself and @AshleyC … do it. At one point in your life, drive it all the way to the ocean. Also, drive US 1 all the way to Key West. I’m fortunate to have done both. US 1 I did on a Harley Ultra Limited.

I travelled extensively in my career, saw the sights in London (and bought far too many flat caps), walked the Great Wall in Beijing, floated the canals in Venice, toured the Holy Land in Israel; still, there is so much I want to see at home before I travel abroad again. Anne and I plan to purchase a camper within the next two years and make it our primary residence, keeping homesteads in Western NY (our original home) and SE PA (the center point of our children’s homes).

Talk to me about YOUR herds of swine
No special break-in procedure. Just regular use from day 1. My clear preference is natural bristle (unbleached), primarily because they become denser with use (a bit like 2-band badgers), in a way that bleached and colored boar do not. Besides, I think natural bristle are the prettiest.
I like smaller knots, around 24 mm. Omega 10066 and the like.

@Dave himself and @AshleyC … do it. At one point in your life, drive it all the way to the ocean. Also, drive US 1 all the way to Key West. I’m fortunate to have done both. US 1 I did on a Harley Ultra Limited.

I travelled extensively in my career, saw the sights in London (and bought far too many flat caps), walked the Great Wall in Beijing, floated the canals in Venice, toured the Holy Land in Israel; still, there is so much I want to see at home before I travel abroad again. Anne and I plan to purchase a camper within the next two years and make it our primary residence, keeping homesteads in Western NY (our original home) and SE PA (the center point of our children’s homes).
I think I've been mentally planning it for a few years now. If I get good news from the VA, it'll happen.
peewee-herman.gif

Not on a motorcycle, though.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Saturday late-morning shave, following a 90-minute workout on my Peloton bike.

Shave #99/300+ in 2024

This was the final shave with the Sabre for the week since I go vintage for my Sunday shaves. It will be about 10 weeks before the Sabre comes back up in my rotation; just enough time for me to need reminding of how grand it truly is.

10/10 DFS++/95% BBS, WTG+ATG, buffing only under my chin. Irritation-free, smooth, perfect.

Blackland Sabre L2 with a Personna Gem PTFE (6)
Cella Red
Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak/Semogue C5 boar knot (24x55)

Finished up with a hot shower, Dickinson’s Original, and Old Spice Original (glass bottle).

Off now to do some watching of grandchildren (Charlotte is 3.5 and wee Caleb is going to be two in June).

Have a great weekend, all!

IMG_5513.jpeg

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Vintage Sunday
Shave 100/300+ in 2024

1930-1933 Ever-Ready 1912, recently given a new Mirror Nickel plating by Chris at Back Roads Gold
Personna Gem PTFE (7)

Ever-Ready 400, restored with a 24x50 badger/boar mix as the original had

Albus Palmira

An excellent DFS shave. Very smooth shave, the large heads makes it less maneuverable but still gets the job done comfortably. It glides much easier with the new nickel. 9.5/10.

IMG_5524.jpeg

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Completely taken aback but the performance of the Le Maurice today. I’ve had it for 3-4 weeks, but, today was its first run. I’m going to have to do a head-to-head with it against my Athena and my Cx-Ti/Web in the future because this razor is absolutely fantastic.

A two-pass BBS, checked post-shave with alum and thought my stone might be dead. Nothing, no feedback at all.

A perfect 10, borderline 11. What a way to start the week!

Atelier Durdan Le Maurice 1.0
Personna Lab Blue (1)
Vitos Red + Coco
Zenith 507 Boar
Skin Bracer

Cheers, all!

IMG_5532.jpeg

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Yesterday was NOT a fluke. Second shave with Le Maurice, second BBS, second day with absolutely no irritation (alum, Dickinson’s, and Aqua Velva).

This razor might be TOO good. Am I the only one that likes that little aftershave sting?

Personna Lab Blue (2)
Arko puck
Rudy Vey Shredded Money/Semogue C5 boar knot
Aqua Velva Ice Blue to finish.

Perfect shave in every way. This could easily be my “One Razor.”

IMG_5540.jpeg

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Another perfect shave today. I can’t wrap my mind around this razor… positive exposure and a 1.0 gap, but, it is just so smooth. two-pass BBS, no irritation, no red spots, just whisker-free, great feeling skin. 10/10.

Atelier durdan Le Maurice 1.0
Personna Lab Blue (3rd and final shave)
Cella Red
Zenith 507 Boar
Skin Bracer

Once again, the big boar loaded and lathered the Cella like a champ. Left the brush a bit wetter before loading and had enough lather that I didn’t need to reload for my second pass, which I always do. Maybe a new technique is developing…

Cheers, gents!

IMG_5544.jpeg

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Shave #104/300+ in 2024
Modern May
May 2024 GRUME

Perfection. Absolute 10/10. I love this razor!

Personna Lab Blue (1)
Zenith 507 Boar
Vitos Red + Coco

Very smooth, efficient shave. Two passes (WTG +ATG) with limited chin buffing resulted in a BBS shave. Zero irritation, redness, bumps, feedback from aftershave. This is what shaving is supposed to be like.

Cheers, all!

IMG_5550.jpeg

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Not to sound like a broken record, but, this is one fantastic razor! 10/10, BBS, two passes, skin feels great. Finally got some feedback, but, had the use The Rub to get it.

Personna Lab Blue (2)
Arko puck
Rudy Vey B&B Group Buy 2024, set with a Semogue C5 boar knot

What a thrill to use the New RV brush! It is a beauty, with one of the best knots I’ve ever used.

Finished with a hot shower, Dickinson's Original, and Osage Rub. Going out and about, so sprayed on some Guerlain Vetiver EDT.

Great weekend to all!

IMG_5562.jpeg

Top Bottom