What's new

Unscientific Poll - My next New Straight Razor between a Boker or a Dovo

For my next NEW Straight razor, between Boker and Dovo, what should I choose and why?

• Boker

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Dovo

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have quite a few Boker razors and only two Dovo's both Bergischer Lowe's 5/8 + 6/8.
I really couldn't tell you that one is better than the other, except for the "Best Quality", that razor I really didn't like and have passed it on to someone who may be happier with it.
"Best Quality". The ultimate misnomer. Calling it "Best" doesn't make it good. The BL is nice of course, but you expect that, for the price.

I can't vote, I have never used either brand. To my mind they sit close together in terms of quality. I think you'll be happy either way & it will come down to aesthetics.

This is the Boker that I used today and a very nice shave it was.

20220221_105741.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A Dovo Bismarck is quite a nice razor, very ergonomic. Avoid Dovos retailing new for under about $130 and you will be fine. I think Dovo's steel is maybe a little more resistant to rust or patina, and maybe slightly harder, too. Boker's "entry level" razors are IMHO of much better grinding than the entry level Dovo razors. YMMV of course. The Boker King Cutter is iconic and has been around for generations, with a short hiatus when they weren't making it. If you want a new razor, and you want either a Boker or a Dovo, I would recomment a Dovo Bismarck or another Dovo of the same blade style. I just honed up a Carre that I will be shaving with soon. The Bergischer Lowe is nice. There were a few Palisanders for sale by TSS but I think that was a limited run. Pretty good price for a plain vanilla version of the Bismarck. Gold don't shave, you know. Anyway that blade shape is super easy to hone and strop, and fits the hand nicely when shaving. You will like any of that sort. I have five that I bought new and 3 or 4 that are vintage Bismarck Bismarcks from before Dovo bought the brand. I think I must have a couple more out in the shop. I have been thinking about getting some mammoth ivory and rescaling them alike, maybe grinding a flat on the back of the spine for engraving the day of the week, for a 7 day set.

I didn't vote because it depends on whether or not you are willing to spring for a mid level razor or not. I would rather save my lunch money and get yet another Bismarck but that's me. Also I haven't priced King Cutters lately.

How long ago was your assessment of Dovo Slash? We’re getting some years under the belt you know and things change over time.

Here’s an image of an 8/8 Boker King Cutter from a friend of mine. I’m waiting for the unwarped Dovo version (not really).

FC2C1BA5-DF71-409B-AFC0-EBAE2BFC54DA.jpeg

This is the Boker that I used today and a very nice shave it was.

View attachment 1413631

How long ago was your assessment of Dovo Slash? We’re getting some years under the belt you know and things change over time.

Here’s an image of an 8/8 Boker King Cutter from a friend of mine. I’m waiting for the unwarped Dovo version (not really).

View attachment 1413713

Talk about "Eye Candy". I do believe that I am smitten!

Beautiful works of art!!!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The most recent Dovo acquisition is a new Carre. Honed it up a few days ago, shaved with it yesterday. Performed nicely. After three lemons in a row, I won't touch a "Best Quality", a "Special" or any of that ilk. TBH they are no worse than the GD66 from 10 years or so ago, but when you pay $70 vs under $4, you have reason to expect better. I have a Pearlex Bismarck on the way and I will probably buy another just so I have 7 new ones, then maybe I will work on acquiring 7 vintage ones. I know I have three, and I think I have yet another somewhere.

I rather liked the Prima Klang, an extra full hollow, but I would like to see it in 6/8 rather than 5/8. Mostly with Dovo I stick to the Bismarck style razors, except I don't care for the Flowing or the Forme.

First experience with the Dovo brand was my first straight razor, going on 40 years ago, I guess. Of course my skill level was woefully inadequate to deal with a wonky razor at the time, but even now I would do a face palm at the usual faults. Over the next 25 years or so, I tried two more, one another Best, one a Conk rebrand. By that time I understood what had to be done but I was still not pleased. I very much learned my lesson by the third one. I won't kick the football any more and I categorically declare Dovo's entry level blades to be a bad purchase. Three for three? I am not interested in a fourth go.

I am sure every major manufacturer ends up with some crappy blades. The difference is Boker tosses them, and Dovo etches them "Best Quality" or a couple of other marks, and sells them. That's my take on it.

For a newbie, I would say a new entry level Dovo is a definite do not buy, unless it has been honed by the vendor and honed correctly, fixing the defects instead of just working with them. A newbie deserves a razor that he can hone, when he is ready to start honing, without any extraordinary preliminaries like straightening a warped blade or fixing an edge that is not in parallel with the spine. I have never had such issues with a Dovo Bismarck.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have a new Boker Edelweiss that is a very nice razor and came shave ready but I need to work on it a bit more. I had a mid level Dovo in 5/8 that I didn’t care for and sold it. There was nothing wrong with it but it didn’t suit me somehow. I have three pre Dovo Bismarck’s that are spectacular: all three are 9/16 - my favorite blade width. If you ever run across one of those, jump on it regardless of size.

The most recent Dovo acquisition is a new Carre.

My Carre is a fine razor and needed nothing more than finish honing - or in my case the diamond pasted balsa strop progression.

Royal Shave used to have a heck of a deal on the Carre, maybe they still have some left.

I have a dozen or so of each and I find them all to be wonderful razors. I even have a notorious "Best Quality" and it's a fine razor IMHO. If I had to choose one over the other, I think Bokers are generally more aesthetically pleasing and ergonomically superior.

I would go with Boker i have the vintage ones but modern bismark and a vintage one, the vintage bismark it has a wicked edge but I cannot get the modern one to the same level.

Now boker it doesn't matter they all take a wicked edge and keep it way longer. but at the end of the day its your choice

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You may very well be right, but I fear that the problem runs even deeper than that!

View attachment 1414397
A quick count... and came up with 50. That has to be the perfect number... now you can buy and sell.... or donate.. to keep the half a century mark. ;)

Beautiful collection, seriously.... I have my grandfather's Shumate from the early 1900s... a pedestrian razor at best, but it's a nice keepsake. I loved him a lot. But I won't buy a new or new to me straight. I know, I'd go straight down the rabbit hole, immediately. They are so beautiful. I'm too scared to learn to shave with a straight razor at my age. My hands aren't as steady as they once were. I'll have to stick with my Claymore Evolution... close as I can get to a straight.

Thanks for sharing your collection with us.

Top Bottom