What's new

Unscientific Poll - My next New Straight Razor between a Boker or a Dovo

For my next NEW Straight razor, between Boker and Dovo, what should I choose and why?

• Boker

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Dovo

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters
Only 50? You can't even have a 3-month rotation, like most SR shavers would like to do.
I have a few less now as I have donated a few to a friend to start off his collection and help push him down the rabbit hole.
Mind you I have begun to acquire a taste for badger brushes that are a little less utilitarian than I have previously bought.

A quick count... and came up with 50. That has to be the perfect number... now you can buy and sell.... or donate.. to keep the half a century mark. ;)

Beautiful collection, seriously.... I have my grandfather's Shumate from the early 1900s... a pedestrian razor at best, but it's a nice keepsake. I loved him a lot. But I won't buy a new or new to me straight. I know, I'd go straight down the rabbit hole, immediately. They are so beautiful. I'm too scared to learn to shave with a straight razor at my age. My hands aren't as steady as they once were. I'll have to stick with my Claymore Evolution... close as I can get to a straight.

Thanks for sharing your collection with us.
Thanks for the kind remarks.
I am sure you could use a straight as I am 68 and didn't start till I was 63.
My hands are reasonably steady but my brain is getting weak.
I was standing in the kitchen this morning wondering what it was that I wanted and then saw my coffee cup in my hand which gave me a clue.

I have several Dovos and several Bökers. I’m afraid I won’t be much help. I like them both. They’re both great razors and you can’t go wrong with one or the other. Buy the one that catches your eye.

I have seen plenty of reports of Dovos having geometry issues - even straight from the factory. So though I haven't shaved with either (I own a Boker), I'd have to recommend Boker.

Hand made anything can have flaws. A brand that sells more will be reviewed more often. Honestly, I've seen more TI blades with with weirdness than Dovos. I think a lot of the anti-Dovo hype is 'hearsay' that's been blown way out of proportion.
I've honed a bunch of new Dovos and they were fine. Same for Bokers.
Anyway, pick one you like the looks of. Both brands make great blades.
i do like the looks of the 7/8 Bokers, the blue one is kinda cool.
My first 'new' blade was a Boker.
Several jokers on this and other forums told me it cost too much, as if I should care what the captain savapenny poobahs think.
It was a great blade. Have owned numerous old and new Bokers since. All good.
Dovo makes a Bismark that is very nice, 6/8 I think. I've had about 4-5 of them and they were all excellent.

I've never owned either a Boker or a Dovo Straight. I am very fond of French Straights and own both Thiers-Issard and older LeGrelot Hospital razors.

Please, without making any disparaging remarks about one brand or another, help me make an educated choice between Boker and Dovo for consideration for the next purchase.

I would like to hear about experiences from those who hone and refresh their own edges in particular because I do the same.

Looking for constructive feedback please Gentlemen.

Thank you
I own and regularly use several Bokers and several Dovos. They both perform admirably. I don't think either is better than the other. I think it comes down to aesthetics and personal preferences.

I've had better luck with Dovo, one beautiful Boker with tiger stripe scales came with an oddly messed up wedge at one end from a popular shop in Florida. I didn't open it until months later so never returned it. It closes offset but is a great razor otherwise. My new favorite is a used Ralph Aust.

Even a someone like me who's still relatively new in to the SR world knows that Boker (in general) is a much better choice than Dovo.

Oh and btw, for just as much or perhaps a little bit more you can buy a Ralf Aust, which is infinitely better than both.

Even a someone like me who's still relatively new in to the SR world knows that Boker (in general) is a much better choice than Dovo.

Oh and btw, for just as much or perhaps a little bit more you can buy a Ralf Aust, which is infinitely better than both.
My last three new razors were from Böker. They were more or less flawless in my opinion.
For someone who doesn't like really thin grinds some of the models might not be right for them.
I only have one Ralf Aust. The one I have is not any better then any of my Dovo's or Böker razors.
None of my Böker razors have had any geometry problems. To me it seems like they have better control over the grinding and honing then Dovo.
They also use different steel and hardening. That also factor in. Boker hardens the blades to around 59, while Dovo is slightly harder.

Maybe this is just subjective, but I feel like my Boker razors have a slightly softer face feel.

Böker also seem to be coming out with new limited run razors, and seem to be offering more modern razors.

The only feedback I can offer is that I have two modern Bokers and zero Dovos. Both have been extremely easy to get shave ready and for my rotation, keep their edges keen.

I have no knock on Dovo, but my future modern purchases will be another TI and Boker.

I have a couple vintage in mind, but at the moment neither will be Boker or Dovo.

I really look forward to using my Bokers

Reactions: JPO

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If you want to go entry level, definitely stay away from Dovo. IMHO entry level Dovos suck massively and shamelessly. Ironically, the "Best Quality" is their worst one, from a QC standpoint. If you want to go mid level, Dovo is fine and dandy, particularly the Bismarck, and also other models using the same blank. A Boker King Cutter is IMHO a pretty good razor but they seem to have up-priced it considerably from where it was when the model was re-introduced several years ago after a generation long hiatus.

For only a few bucks more, there are many fine brands that generally will be better than either one.

An entry level Dovo that has been given the business by a honemeister who understands the razor and isn't afraid of a little hard work, is okay. The razor is often badly warped or twisted, either from the quench or from really horrible grinding. The steel almost without exception is just fine. But if you buy a Dovo Best with a factory edge, or an edge honed by someone who really ought to find something else to do, and you expect as a beginner to hone it yourself, all I can say is good luck with that. A GD is easier.

I have a Böker barberette (shavette) with stag horn scales purchased in my journey from DE safety razors to traditional straights and kamisori, but have never owned/used a Böker traditional straight. My two traditional straights are both Dovo razors - a Mammut with fossilised mammoth tusk scales and an extra hollow ground 5/8 carbon steel round point blade and an Inox with buffalo horn scales and a hollow ground 5/8 stainless steel round point blade. All three are good razors, but the extra hollow ground blade of the Mammut is a joy to use and the mammoth scales give the razor a wow factor; slightly heavier at 69 grams than other razors, to which easily adjusted with experience. (Regarding build quality, my original Böker had to be replaced as one of the scale pins lost a rivet shortly after purchase; same thing happened with the replacement, but sorted with superglue as a genuine stag horn replacement was no longer available.) Happy hunting and choosing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom