What's new

Unscientific Poll - My next New Straight Razor between a Boker or a Dovo

For my next NEW Straight razor, between Boker and Dovo, what should I choose and why?

• Boker

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Dovo

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters
I've never owned either a Boker or a Dovo Straight. I am very fond of French Straights and own both Thiers-Issard and older LeGrelot Hospital razors.

Please, without making any disparaging remarks about one brand or another, help me make an educated choice between Boker and Dovo for consideration for the next purchase.

I would like to hear about experiences from those who hone and refresh their own edges in particular because I do the same.

Looking for constructive feedback please Gentlemen.

Thank you

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have owned a Dovo but not a Böker so cannot compare. Like quite a few on B&B, I was not overly impressed with the quality of my cheaper (but not cheap) Dovo for the price.

Based on the reputation on B&B of both manufacturers, I would go for a Böker.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I use a Dovo Inox, stainless steel with stainless scales, a decent straightforward razor that‘s been user friendly. Never tried a Boker, hear good things though. Good luck!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
IMG_20220220_134602.jpg
Surely there must be someone who can recommend a Dovo over a Böker.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A Dovo Bismarck is quite a nice razor, very ergonomic. Avoid Dovos retailing new for under about $130 and you will be fine. I think Dovo's steel is maybe a little more resistant to rust or patina, and maybe slightly harder, too. Boker's "entry level" razors are IMHO of much better grinding than the entry level Dovo razors. YMMV of course. The Boker King Cutter is iconic and has been around for generations, with a short hiatus when they weren't making it. If you want a new razor, and you want either a Boker or a Dovo, I would recomment a Dovo Bismarck or another Dovo of the same blade style. I just honed up a Carre that I will be shaving with soon. The Bergischer Lowe is nice. There were a few Palisanders for sale by TSS but I think that was a limited run. Pretty good price for a plain vanilla version of the Bismarck. Gold don't shave, you know. Anyway that blade shape is super easy to hone and strop, and fits the hand nicely when shaving. You will like any of that sort. I have five that I bought new and 3 or 4 that are vintage Bismarck Bismarcks from before Dovo bought the brand. I think I must have a couple more out in the shop. I have been thinking about getting some mammoth ivory and rescaling them alike, maybe grinding a flat on the back of the spine for engraving the day of the week, for a 7 day set.

I didn't vote because it depends on whether or not you are willing to spring for a mid level razor or not. I would rather save my lunch money and get yet another Bismarck but that's me. Also I haven't priced King Cutters lately.

I haven’t voted as not used a Boker. I have a couple of Dovo’s and one of the best in my rotation is the half hollow Astrale. Very smooth and comfortable shaver. Cuts through long stubble as easily as my Friodur 8/8.

I have multiple specimen of both, new and vintage. When it comes to the vintage ones both are good. I haven't comes across and new Böker that wasn't good and I've never come across a factory new Dovo that was shave ready.

If you are getting vintage, go for the one you like the grind and looks of.
As far as i am aware, all the new Boker razors are extra hollow ground. Dovo have a little more grind options to choose from. I prefer the full hollow grind over the extra hollow, but that is just me. I have 4 from Dovo and 2 Boker razors. Both of my Boker razors are extra hollow ground. Based on my small sample size, Boker does seem to have better quality control. My last Boker was to my eyes flawless. I can’t say the same about any of my Dovo razors.

I have a Boker 6/8 Extra Hollow Ground razor that is well crafted and a great shaver.

I have a Dovo Bismarck 6/8. Although Dovo claims their razors are shave-ready from the factory, it was not nearly sharp enough for my beard. I had to hone it before I could make my first shave. Personally, I do not like the thumb notch on the Bismarck; I find it makes it harder to hone and strop the razor. Once I honed it, it shaves just fine.

Great feedback from everyone so far. This is exactly what I expected from this B&B group. Very positive direction, educated opinions and even-handed commentary. Please keep it coming not only for me, but for all who may have the same question.

Thank you all who have responded thus far.

Reactions: Wid

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
About time!
I have had a 7 day set for quite some time. Had the case custom made from cobra skin when I was in Bangladesh. They don't have the day of the week and they don't exactly match but they all have white scales. There was a pic on the forum but it's not there any more. I think I posted in like 2010.

I have quite a few Boker razors and only two Dovo's both Bergischer Lowe's 5/8 + 6/8.
I really couldn't tell you that one is better than the other, except for the "Best Quality", that razor I really didn't like and have passed it on to someone who may be happier with it.

Top Bottom