What's new

Unknown stone

I recently recieved a stone I thought was a thuringian but I think is something else after getting it. It looks like a thuringian and feels like one to the touch but its faster and the bevel is as shiny and clean as from a Naniwa 12k. The edge is very sharp and forgiving also. I've also noticed its somewhat holographic like coticules are. The stone is approximately 180x58x27mm. Any help identifying the stone is appreciated.

Does anybody have something like this?

503D7772-3A5D-4E03-BFD3-F5C6372A9AFD_1_201_a.jpeg
503D7772-3A5D-4E03-BFD3-F5C6372A9AFD_1_201_a.jpeg
FD095BA3-4292-4195-AFC9-53AB9DE6A7A1_1_201_a.jpeg
FB2D8682-BC81-4CB5-809B-96B32052F266_1_201_a.jpeg
185218E7-BB3C-4507-8CC4-046D56073F5E_1_100_o.jpeg
41EE552C-0DB3-4B5F-86D5-1477414017FE.jpeg
C0E85DDD-C1ED-42E7-B3C0-8BE13E7B5B93_1_201_a.jpeg
03154A15-484A-4EAB-8555-ECAA74CE5D2A_1_100_o.jpeg

Big innit!

As well as everything else, the space for a slurry stone surely has this as a Thuri. And in even better news - T Noonan didn't just sell any old Thuringian. Looks like it's probably an Escher:

uploadfromtaptalk1410219658856.jpg

Big innit!

As well as everything else, the space for a slurry stone surely has this as a Thuri. And in even better news - T Noonan didn't just sell any old Thuringian. Looks like it's probably an Escher:

View attachment 1489304
Maybe it is and that would be great. I’m just trying to be objective rather than call it a thuringian for a few years and somebody pops up saying hey thats a great “xxxxxx” stone you have and its not an Escher..

Thats a lovely looking stone and box, I need to find something like this, but totally useless in knowing what to pick up or leave 😁

Well, as you know, it can only be called an Escher, if it has a label, even though that is probably what it is.

I have several nice cutting Thuringia’s that deliver as well as labeled Escher’s, and likely what they are, but they are Thuringia’s.

Looks like it had a spot for a slurry/rubbing stone.

Nice stone.

Fair enough but have you seen a thuringian with the holographic effect?
Its also faster than any I have seen.
I’d be happy to call it that if it on fact
is a thuringian.

Thuringian stones can have some details besides being pure homogeneous blocks. Some details are old "fossils" that were "baked" into the stone millions of years ago. Other details can be variations in the color. We all know of from Echers meticulous detail to color labeling yellow green, green, blue green and dark blue. The colors can get mixed up in one stone however. That stone is not a perfect match to any in my mind however. I wager escher likely only sold the stones that were cleanest looking and might of passed the others onto other companies to rebrand and sell, such as this Noonan Champion hone. As @H Brad Boonshaft just said, the only stones we call escher are ones with clear escher labels. This absolutely does not detract from a stones performance, only from the price tag haha Id prefer to hone on a beautiful unlabeled thuri than a labeled plane looking one.

Now the reason I said most of us would call that a thuringian, is there just isn't better knowledge regarding natural water hones from back then. And any of that look get generally called one. Even stones still labeled, such as yours, rarely disclose the mine location. If you look through catalogs of the time they had water hones being sold from all over that we know no more of than the marketing pitch (American and Brazilian Water Hones!). People have done alot of research and thuringia mines were the biggest producers with the most information available.

I figure we refer to alot of unlabled stones as thuringian which aren't German but we don't know any better. I have a variety of stones I toss into the likely thuringian bucket, and they all perform similar to my labeled ones.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I'll play devils advocate. I'm not going to say that it's not a Thuri, but the saw marks, nubbed corners, heavy chamfers, size, thickness, and mottled look are all red flags against a Thuri IMO. Hopefully some other guys more knowledgeable than me will weigh in. @SliceOfLife @kcb5150 @hatzicho

Whatever it is, it's freakin cool! Nice score!

I would say thuri. If also go far enough to say it looks like a very good and very unique thuri. Very nice score. I light green thuri is pretty fast too but much more buttery than my la lune both in feel and final result.

They appear to have been a barber then a barber supply company. So it could be a thuri, but could be something else. The only thing that says thuri to me is that wet side view, but the rest seems like something French to me. The place for the rubbing stone seems to lean back towards thuri though as they seem to be one of the few traditionally that came with them. I bet Peter could tell ya.

Stupid question, when you say a label, would the label be on the stone or the box, presuming that the stone has a box.

I'll play devils advocate. I'm not going to say that it's not a Thuri, but the saw marks, nubbed corners, heavy chamfers, size, thickness, and mottled look are all red flags against a Thuri IMO. Hopefully some other guys more knowledgeable than me will weigh in. @SliceOfLife @kcb5150 @hatzicho

Whatever it is, it's freakin cool! Nice score!

Could be a Modock hone! Here's one sold by noonan that sure looks similar. That doesn't explain where the stone came from orginally but noonan might of marketed it multiple ways. Also could back up the idea that it isn't thuringian.

Last edited:
The mottling in this stone is reminiscent of patterning in several 'black Thuringians' I have owned. Also similar to the so-called Schwedenstein patterning.

I just finishing honing on the stone today and its slowed down good deal and also does not want to give up a slurry so much as when first lapped. It also is a good bit harder than I originally thought though just porous enough to blacken the stone when wet and dries out a moment after I'm done.
Well, as you know, it can only be called an Escher, if it has a label, even though that is probably what it is.

I have several nice cutting Thuringia’s that deliver as well as labeled Escher’s, and likely what they are, but they are Thuringia’s.

Looks like it had a spot for a slurry/rubbing stone.

Nice stone.
Yep Escher is just a brand of Thuringian and it has a spot for a 4x1 slurry stone which I'd like to happen across one.

Could be a Modock hone! Here's one sold by noonan that sure looks similar. That doesn't explain where the stone came from orginally but noonan might of marketed it multiple ways. Also could back up the idea that it isn't thuringian.

I sent the OP a message but he hasn't been active in a while. I can't tell by those pics and thanks for letting me know of it.

Top Bottom