What's new

Unknown stone

Specific gravity is 2.75 exact submersion method.

Yep, what @ables said. This is spot on for Idwals in my experience. Almost every one I've had has been between 2.73 and 2.76, with one or two under that. Whereas pretty much every slate has been about 2.78 - 2.90.

Obviously though as we all know - these definitions get a little blurry around the edges. Some Idwals have features to them that are really quite slate like, they're nothing like as pure a novaculite as Arkansas stones, or even Charnleys.

Legion

Staff member
Yep, what @ables said. This is spot on for Idwals in my experience. Almost every one I've had has been between 2.73 and 2.76, with one or two under that. Whereas pretty much every slate has been about 2.78 - 2.90.

Obviously though as we all know - these definitions get a little blurry around the edges. Some Idwals have features to them that are really quite slate like, they're nothing like as pure a novaculite as Arkansas stones, or even Charnleys.
Yeah, I just checked my notes, and mine is 2.74. My Glanrafon, by contrast, which looks and feels like novaculite, but isn't, is 2.8.

Yeah, when I got mine, I had never seen it before. And yours is the second I've ever seen.

I sold mine to crowfl_57 on eBay, who I THINK is an SRP guy. First name Steven. Used to buy a ton of (mostly British) stones from me back when I would dump large parts of my collection.

I was sure I had posted pics here or at least emailed David some back when I got it, but I can't find them.
I’ve been looking and can’t find another. Its a really interesting stone to hold and see In person. If you come across any pics I’d love to see them.

I have had this greenish slate for like half a year. Came from overseas. Looks really similar to the side of yours but the orientation is different. It's a step faster than a thuringian and not as fine imo but not far off either. Harder than any thuringian I have encountered, dryer feeling, a bit grabber to the touch dry but not scrapey under the blade like a lot of slates feel. View attachment 1490368View attachment 1490369View attachment 1490370View attachment 1490371View attachment 1490372View attachment 1490373
Thanks for showing it but I think its a completely different stone. The sides of mine remind me of fast moving water over a shallow creek bed and the turbulence of the water as it passes over the gravel bottom.

I was just looking at the chip on the bottom edge of the stone and there are quite a few layers present if that is of any help figuring out what it is.
E6D32E91-65B2-4D60-9C32-99F7972E52FE.jpeg
E6D32E91-65B2-4D60-9C32-99F7972E52FE.jpeg

I have had this greenish slate for like half a year. Came from overseas. Looks really similar to the side of yours but the orientation is different. It's a step faster than a thuringian and not as fine imo but not far off either. Harder than any thuringian I have encountered, dryer feeling, a bit grabber to the touch dry but not scrapey under the blade like a lot of slates feel. View attachment 1490368View attachment 1490369View attachment 1490370View attachment 1490371View attachment 1490372View attachment 1490373
Thanks for the pics. I believe its different than mine which really darkens when its wet and dries and lightens up shortly after.

Pretty much every Idwal I've had has had fine slate-like foliation if chipped. Though you should be able to tell pretty definitively by measuring SG... above about 2.78 it'll be a slate, below that more likely an LI.

Yours looks quite similar to this stone of mine; which is definitely at the finer end of them, but also a bit softer than average.

View attachment 1490445

View attachment 1490447

View attachment 1490446
It does look somewhat similar.
The sg on mine is 2.78

Pretty much every Idwal I've had has had fine slate-like foliation if chipped. Though you should be able to tell pretty definitively by measuring SG... above about 2.78 it'll be a slate, below that more likely an LI.

Yours looks quite similar to this stone of mine; which is definitely at the finer end of them, but also a bit softer than average.

View attachment 1490445

View attachment 1490447

View attachment 1490446
I’ve had a
Your one in the op certainly isn't an Idwal though... it's a slate or argillite type affair by the look of it. If it isn't a Thuri then it's probably something quite similar I imagine.
I agree its not an Idwall but I’m hesitant to call it a thuri. I’ve had a handful or so over the years and they all had a signature feel and draw to them that is a little different to my stone. Its a decent finisher and I’ll take that over knowing what it is. 😁

As it turns out after speaking with an avid collector in Germany I am lead to believe it is a Frankonian hone which matches findings after using the stone for a while. I'd love to see pics of other Frankonian stones from those with one.

Question on slurry. How difficult is it to raise a slurry? I believe most and mine is similar Frankonian is really hard and really only way to raise a good slurry is with an Atoma.
50FD26FA-965D-4624-B3D0-265B6F5197DE.jpeg
63095F64-F40A-4765-B9F1-CD2053E5B360.jpeg

@rideon66 I have to rub pretty good to get a light slurry with a light green 4" Thuringian but with a 1200 atoma 3"x3" I cut from a full size Atoma that had slowed down its gives up a muddy slurry like thuringian do.

Top Bottom