What's new

"Unisex" frags

This seems to be the current trend. We've had discussions on what makes a scent feminine or masculine and, of course, there are many opinions. Personally, I never try to push the envelope....I wear what I like.
My question is: what scents do you gents like that might be listed as "feminine", and should perhaps be listed as "unisex"? Two that are in my collection are Czech & Speakes "Dark Rose" and Robert Piguet's "Bandit". Now I can understand why the floral notes of Dark Rose can be considered "feminine", but I'm kind of baffled by Bandit. I've seen it described as a "leather" scent, but that's a stretch, IMO. That said, I really like it!

Here's something off Bois de Jasmin, a perfume blog:

"A fascinating aspect of Bandit is not so much its showcasing of animalic darkness, as its dissonance of the aggressive leather with the scintillating and verdant accord. Galbanum layered with bergamot possesses an uplifting green wetness that is reminiscent of walking through a garden after a heavy rain. As moisture begins to evaporate in the warm air, the scents of leaves and grasses are intertwined in the most intoxicating mélange. The darkness is allowed to pervade the composition, first hinting at its presence under the green burst of galbanum, and then shedding all layers to display its leathery and musky side."

Don't you love talk like that?

I dunno, as a guy I try to stick to stuff which is fresh, oceanic, or something woodsy - not a big fan of sweet stuff like vanilla etc.

And I think of what a pretty girl ought to smell like it's invariably something flowery or fruity.

So I guess it's really up to the individual, but the things we associate as feminine or masculine scents are not just arbitrary in my opinion, they have a basis.

My favorite unisex is Cologne by Thierry Mugler. Another very similar that I think is marketed as feminine but seems unisex to me is CK One Summer Electric. Very similar to mugler cologne but with some added lime kick.

Creed's Royal Water is quite feminine. It is sold in one of the men's style bottles, is listed on their website under both the men's and women's fragrance sections, and was made in honor of Princess Diana after she died. Given that odd assemblage of indicators, its intended gender is anybody's guess. I personally think it's about as feminine smelling a scent as you can get that can still be worn by a man, and I bet a lot of men would say it can't, or at least shouldn't, be worn by a man. I like it, but I have to be feeling pretty secure to wear it. :wink:

P.S. Nice quote, Tom. Rob's brain would no doubt melt after reading that.

Here's something off Bois de Jasmin, a perfume blog:

"A fascinating aspect of Bandit is not so much its showcasing of animalic darkness, as its dissonance of the aggressive leather with the scintillating and verdant accord. Galbanum layered with bergamot possesses an uplifting green wetness that is reminiscent of walking through a garden after a heavy rain. As moisture begins to evaporate in the warm air, the scents of leaves and grasses are intertwined in the most intoxicating mélange. The darkness is allowed to pervade the composition, first hinting at its presence under the green burst of galbanum, and then shedding all layers to display its leathery and musky side."

Don't you love talk like that?

This description certainly doesn't sound feminine to me, and it does sound like something I would like.

:cool:

P.S. Nice quote, Tom. Rob's brain would no doubt melt after reading that.

By the enchanted leather belt of Odin, what is going on here?!?!?!?! :lol:

I agree with Kingfisher- I recently PIF'd everything I had by Marc Jacobs as it was all a bit to feminine for my nose. I think all Curve for Men frags should probably be labeled unisex as they all smell better on my fiancée than they do on me.

Top Bottom