What's new

Tauer Lonestar Memories

I debated with myself whether to post this as a part of the scent of the day or acquisitions threads, or to give this scent its own thread. I like it enough that I decided it was worthy of a separate thread. I recently got a full 50 ml bottle of this. I had a sample/decant of it in the past and had remembered really liking it. I like most Andy Tauer scents.

I had remembered this as being largely birch tar. A straightforward leather scent much like SMN Peau D'Espagne, although reading the list of notes SMN provides for its scent maybe I am misremembering it, too. Anyway, this is a powerful, birch tar forward scent, but it has a lot else powerful going on. I think I would have said dark rose, but I think the Tauer note list is referring to what I am smelling as green geranium and possibly carrot seed, although I would not have said so. Definitely rich woods in the base. Some vetiver, I suppose, and tonka but surely sandalwood. Tauer's description says a lot about being inspired by smoky campfires and coffee brewing, horses, and, I suppose, dirty sweaty cowboy stuff.

I get that, and I suppose birch tar is inherently smoky, but I do not smell anything like coffee. I suppose I would say funky/animalic. To me there is some incense in there, but that could be just the dark rose. Lots of Tauer house notes, I would say.

Great legs and sillage. Fairly linear development, methinks. Really nice scent and much more than just a leather birch tar. Lots of sweet dark rose in there. A certain sophistication. I do not know whether this one is best with jeans and a leather jacket or a tux. Maybe a fairly versatile, masculine to my nose, although I would love to meet the woman who wears this one, scent.

I really like a lot of the Tauer scents, even if I don't like them they are quite unique. The one I liked the least was Lonestar. I found it to be just too similar to versace red jeans. I don't know what note my memory links between the two but there is something there that is connected. On top of that, the 'jeans' genre of scents just don't appeal to me and Tauer last too long to wear them as an experiment.

I really like a lot of the Tauer scents, even if I don't like them they are quite unique. The one I liked the least was Lonestar. I found it to be just too similar to versace red jeans. I don't know what note my memory links between the two but there is something there that is connected. On top of that, the 'jeans' genre of scents just don't appeal to me and Tauer last too long to wear them as an experiment.
Good post. Thanks. I do not know if I have ever smelled Versace Red Jeans. I guess I like a lot of Versace scents, at least well enough, but I tend to think of the "jeans" line as kind of youthful and casual. Red Jeans seems to be marketed as an exclusively feminine frag, unless I am overlooking a masculine version. Here is a description from fragrantica.com. "This is a fruity-floral, described as sweet and casual, meant for the young and young-at-heart. Top notes are peach, apricot, freesia, blackcurrant. In the heart note, lily-of-the-valley, violet, water lily and rose. The base is composed of sandalwood, musk and vanilla."

From Tauer's write-ups on Lonestar, although described as for men and women, given all the references to cowboys and the like, it seems to me they are more targeting men. And as i indicated previously, while I am surprised this scent is as "floral" as it is, something the Tauer write ups do not focus on, it is still very much birch tar and wood heavy. Another contradiction between the Tauer description Lonestar and the scent itself, is that one might think it was intended as a causal, outdoor scent, again given the references to cowboys, leather, jeans, campfires, etc. But I can definitely see this with formal clothes. (Not so much a business suit. I do not think this is a boardroom scent.) But I guess it works with leather jackets, jeans, and boots of various sorts. To me it is right in there with scents like Knize Ten, SMN Peau D'Espagne, Creed Cuir de Russie. These are not scents that are going out of their way to be pleasing to lots of people.

<even if I don't like them they are quite unique>

I agree, Andy Tauer has an amazing nose. To me his scents frequently have a lot going on. A lot worth sticking with, even if they are not favorites.

Good post. Thanks. I do not know if I have ever smelled Versace Red Jeans. I guess I like a lot of Versace scents, at least well enough, but I tend to think of the "jeans" line as kind of youthful and casual. Red Jeans seems to be marketed as an exclusively feminine frag, unless I am overlooking a masculine version. Here is a description from fragrantica.com. "This is a fruity-floral, described as sweet and casual, meant for the young and young-at-heart. Top notes are peach, apricot, freesia, blackcurrant. In the heart note, lily-of-the-valley, violet, water lily and rose. The base is composed of sandalwood, musk and vanilla."

From Tauer's write-ups on Lonestar, although described as for men and women, given all the references to cowboys and the like, it seems to me they are more targeting men. And as i indicated previously, while I am surprised this scent is as "floral" as it is, something the Tauer write ups do not focus on, it is still very much birch tar and wood heavy. Another contradiction between the Tauer description Lonestar and the scent itself, is that one might think it was intended as a causal, outdoor scent, again given the references to cowboys, leather, jeans, campfires, etc. But I can definitely see this with formal clothes. (Not so much a business suit. I do not think this is a boardroom scent.) But I guess it works with leather jackets, jeans, and boots of various sorts. To me it is right in there with scents like Knize Ten, SMN Peau D'Espagne, Creed Cuir de Russie. These are not scents that are going out of their way to be pleasing to lots of people.

<even if I don't like them they are quite unique>

I agree, Andy Tauer has an amazing nose. To me his scents frequently have a lot going on. A lot worth sticking with, even if they are not favorites.
I think its the kind of floral mixed with the resinous notes to become kind of a musty powder note. Tauer fragrances are some of the only ones where for me, reading the scent notes and imagining it and then smelling the actual fragrance are usually very different. I also tend to agree with you his scents for the most part are quite masculine and this one and Phtaloblue could work on a woman where say L'Air Du Desert Marocain is 100% a masculine scent.

Top Bottom