What's new

Unique or interesting handle/head combos?

Who's got a unique hardware combo that they're wild about? Does anyone rotate heads with handles regularly (be they brand name or private label/house brand), looking for a killer combo? 'Splain your original piece.

I lived most of my life in Hawaii and have come to appreciate Hawaiian Hardwoods. When I got my Wunderbar and Claymore, I found them to bot be on the heavy side and so I replaced the stainless steel handles with handles made of Curly Koa (the light colored one) and Milo. I found two wood turners on Esty that did custom orders for me. I am hoping to get one made of Mango soon. Razors are lighter, easier to handle, and does not look as boring as if I got a custom made fancy stainless steel handle.

$DSC01161.jpg

My favorite DE razor but unfortunately both head and handle were no longer made.
Weber DLC head with BRW Bulldog handle

$image.jpg

Currently enjoying the Timeless with a Elite Razor handle, I have several of Robert Quinn's handles and for me they are beautiful, just the right weight and form that I like.

proxy.php

Shorter version of the handle
proxy.php

The Scalloped Safety Bar Heads are standard, generic ones, but the lathe turned Windrose Handles are works of art
The long, polished chrome one is an SP-4
The short, stubby knurled stainless steel one is a D-9 Chunky
$20160808_113645.jpg $20160903_105015.jpg $20160903_105103.jpg

Rapira have improved the design of the Platinum Lux "Tech-clone" by putting a metal handle on all new ones
But I've been using mine with the knurled handle that I salvaged of an almost useless Boctok razor
It's miles better than the original black plastic handle

$20160704_123403.jpg $20160903_105044.jpg

Currently enjoying the Timeless with a Elite Razor handle, I have several of Robert Quinn's handles and for me they are beautiful, just the right weight and form that I like.

proxy.php

proxy.php

theres yet another razor i want now, stunning, just absolutely stunning.

$Punch.jpg

Harbor Freight auto center punch with a 60s Tech. Pull the guts, tap 10-32 for most vintage, 5mm for most new razors (EJ, Muhle, etc) Coated with GunKote.

I lived most of my life in Hawaii and have come to appreciate Hawaiian Hardwoods. When I got my Wunderbar and Claymore, I found them to bot be on the heavy side and so I replaced the stainless steel handles with handles made of Curly Koa (the light colored one) and Milo. I found two wood turners on Esty that did custom orders for me. I am hoping to get one made of Mango soon. Razors are lighter, easier to handle, and does not look as boring as if I got a custom made fancy stainless steel handle.

View attachment 688644

Saaaaay, that's nice!

The Scalloped Safety Bar Heads are standard, generic ones, but the lathe turned Windrose Handles are works of art
The long, polished chrome one is an SP-4
The short, stubby knurled stainless steel one is a D-9 Chunky
View attachment 688680 View attachment 688681 View attachment 688682

Rapira have improved the design of the Platinum Lux "Tech-clone" by putting a metal handle on all new ones
But I've been using mine with the knurled handle that I salvaged of an almost useless Boctok razor
It's miles better than the original black plastic handle

View attachment 688683 View attachment 688684

I hear the Rapira head is pretty solid and smooth. Great mod!

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have a couple of Bob Quinn's handle and agree that he really does a good job. I especially like the fact that it is fatter than the usual custom wood or acrylic handles which makes them easy to grip. Makes it hard to find a hole in your razor stands to fit though.

Hi folks, here is a recent photo of my Pendragon handle with a Gillette New head. This is by far my favorite after market handle. They are no longer being made, and are collectors items now. This one was a gift to me by one of the men who designed/produced it. It has a special significance to me. -

proxy.php

Have a great night/day everyone!

Legion

Staff member
Stahly Live Blade head, with Bobs Razor Works handle. Mild DE perfection.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I usually use a razor the way it came, but here is one I put together. I found a Wizard Blade stropping handle at a flea market, a week later, I found a Thin Cap OLD head without a handle at another flea market. I thought why not put the two together. The handle is shorter, but it's solid so it actually weighs more than a Ball End. It gives it a nice head heavy balance, and makes it feel more like a short handled SE. Which I'm a big fan of. I call her Thin Wizzy.

Attachments

• $DSCF9077.jpg
    $DSCF9077.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 85
  • $DSCF9078.jpg
    $DSCF9078.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 80
Hi folks, here is a recent photo of my Pendragon handle with a Gillette New head. This is by far my favorite after market handle. They are no longer being made, and are collectors items now. This one was a gift to me by one of the men who designed/produced it. It has a special significance to me. -

proxy.php

Have a great night/day everyone!

Alan, that handle is in a league of it's own.:thumbup1:

I like that blade stropper. I wonder if it works?
It would probably work on carbon steel blades, but I don't think stopping does much for a stainless blade. It also feels like it would be pretty comfortable as a shavette, but with a scary amount of unsupported blade.

Here's a pic with a blade installed, along with another oddball razor I picked up the same day.

Attachments

• $DSCF8997.jpg
    $DSCF8997.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 65
Nothing too fancy but today I used one of my favorite frankenrazor combos: Gillette rhodium plated postwar Tech riding on a stainless MR11 handle. Great for head shaving.

Attachments

• $_20160917_175558.jpg
    $_20160917_175558.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 66
Top Bottom