What's new

Ugly cars, I mean really ugly cars

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Since Jim brought up the AMX, I ended up stumbling upon this. Too bad it never made production.

Attachments

• $1280px-AMC_AMX3_Front.jpg
    $1280px-AMC_AMX3_Front.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 189

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've always thought that folks could be generally divided into two groups when it comes to cars - enthusiasts and users. The former are dyed in the wool Car Guys, to whom a car has sex and a soul. The latter look at the car as an appliance, like a clothes washer or vacuum cleaner, and value function above form. Each will however, admit the Aztek is ugly. The second group, however, will accept a square box on wheels as the squared greenhouse is useful for people wearing wide-brimmed hats ..

Most of the ugly cars posted were designed for utility (those American station wagons, or their modern counterpart, the minivans and box-cars) and by extension little to no attention was paid to the soul of the machine. The Pontiac Aztec is an example of the car as a cart, and routinely heads the lists of ugly cars.

Cars today are going like movies, they just do re-makes and call it a day. Not sure there's been a significant styling design change outside the box since the Mustang original over 50 years ago, spawning the AMX, Camaro, Firebird, Barracude, Cougar, Charger, et al.

That said, one not mentioned yet, but that is pretty ugly, so ugly to have been given an insecticoid nickname ..

$bug.jpg

proxy.php

The Checker Marathon ... usually thought of as a fleet of taxi-cabs but it was available for individual ownership as well.

The Checker was my father's dream car. Its drab appearance, rugged reliability, and dedication to functionality over fashion suited him to a T.

(He settled for a Volvo 240DL instead.)

Volvo 240

You either love them or hate them (style wise)

this is our 245 brick (bought it new in 1980). With headers, cam, VDO Jet Cockpit gauges, and rally suspension it isn't your mamma's brick :nonod:

It's next on the list of "needs repainting"

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sebring-Vanguard CitiCar

View attachment 596349

I've been inside one of these. If I remember correctly the "carpet" was AstroTurf and the bench seat covering the batteries was one of those cheap boat cushion types. May not have been factory, but considering who owned it I'm pretty sure it was. Was definitely more cheap old fiberglass golf cart feeling than car.

$DKW.jpg
The DKW Junior. I once rode home from college in one of these. It had a coolant leak, and I believe that we hit every stream along the way on that 150 mile night time journey. IIRC, it had a 4 speed on the column, front wheel drive(?), with the radiator and fan at the back of the engine. A thoroughly weird car.

Last edited:
Mine is a little unorthodoxed but absolutely HORRENDOUS non the less. I never knew this and honestly I was shocked to find this out. Sweden LOVES Classic American cars. So much so that many believe more Classic American cars reside in Sweden now than America. What's cool though is there sort of purists with there Classics. Don't get me wrong they love to Rat Rod them, but to them there are rules that must be followed. For Classics that don't they have a name for them. Donk, and there ABSOLUTELY hated! Apparently the quickest way for your Classic to earn the Donk label is to install one of my MAJOR pet peeves, which is ridiculously oversized rims! Hears some examples of what Swedes consider Donks to be.
https://www.google.com/search?q=don...VChMIu-Wo___KxwIVRSuICh0T3QC_&biw=640&bih=270
Obviously I don't agree with all of them...but damn some of those are BAD. Newer cars have it, but don't do that to Classics!

Last edited:
How about the

Bond Mini Car from 1950. I think theres 3 versions

View attachment 596894

I would have to say that nothing before this car is nearly as ugly.... and it's not likely anyone in the future will be able to come up with a more hideous looking set of wheels. It is so bad, you'd be a pretty cool guy to drive it around town. It's good that it gets 75 miles per gallon ---stopping at a station for gas would be very embarrassing.

I would have to say that nothing before this car is nearly as ugly.... and it's not likely anyone in the future will be able to come up with a more hideous looking set of wheels. It is so bad, you'd be a pretty cool guy to drive it around town. It's good that it gets 75 miles per gallon ---stopping at a station for gas would be very embarrassing.

You must be a pretty daring type to go 55mph in that thing, btw! :wink2:

This was Bond's last model. I give you - The Bond Bug! I had a lift in one of these once. Damned uncomfortable! I did like the way halfthe body lifted upwards to get in though!

$BondBug.jpg

They only came in orange apart from a few promotional ones in a hideous lime green!

Gareth

Top Bottom