What's new

Type E2 where have you been all my life?!?

Not just heavier, it is a more sophisticated head design. Witness the wonder of 3D CAD engineering with CNC production vs stamped mass produced brass sheet.

The E has plenty of blade exposure with some safeguard from the safety bar. You won't cut deeply but it can be an effective potato peeler if you dont watch out. The Hawk/General/SE1 would provide ample warning before you get there.

Still, if treated with respect, like a shavette, you can get a pretty darn nice shave. And I do like the vintage nostalgia.

I modded mine earlier so I use it with Schick ProLine P20 blades. Petty darn nice.

It's quite an apples to oranges comparison. How much does the SE1 cost again?

$185... The SE1 is well worth it for me with a Proline of course. If you're looking to spend as little as possible, my first choice would be the MMOC hands down. The E2 comes second. Neither compares to the complete package of the ATT SE1 "for me!"

It's quite an apples to oranges comparison. How much does the SE1 cost again?

Hawk V2 is $30. General $60. SE1 $96.
The aluminum models, the Alu-trinity.
Actually, quartet, I recently bought back the MR-SE from Felix (I sold it to him last year). It is much more aggressive than the first 3, I use it from time to time. I think that head was about $40.

An injector in good condition on ebay can easily fetch the price of a new Hawk. A V1 hawk goes used on bst for 15 bucks. I must say so I do prefer the V2 over the V1.

The E is a nice razor, somewhere between a Hawk and say, Ikon MR-SE, in terms of aggressiveness.
A Hawk with a ProLine blade is a top notch combo. When I am on the AC rotation, I switch the blade each day between the them. My favorite is the General followed by the Hawk.
All really awesome razors.

I will use the E on rotation, but because I like vintage razors, especially from that era.

Yes I have. I gave it a try and just did not like the width. To each their own. If they made one that was not the minigoose that used the small proline, I'd give it another try. Haven't heard enough good about the minigoose to warrant the cash outlay.

If Above the Tie made a mini SE1 with the Proline, it will be a winner for those who don't like the width. I would buy one, the SE1 is perfect with a Proline.

I had a pretty good and close shave with it.
proxy.php

It is actually a pretty nice razor. Half way between the Hawk and MR-SE. Not a careless shave by any means. It will be in rotation. I like the vintage chic.

Well it was good and bad, at the same time. I should probably move this to another thread as it's not even an E2, it's an E3 or 4 I think....so I'll try to keep it short.

I made the mistake of trying two new razors at the same time as I have about 9 that I haven't used yet and only one face. I used the E type on one side and the PAA Alpha Ecliptic on the other (and a new brush just to muddy the waters a little more). I managed to give myself razor burn with the Schick going with the grain on my neck. I thought this might be because the blade was loose but then when I looked at the side I'd shaved the the Alpha Ecliptic, I'd done exactly the same thing! Something was terribly off with my technique last night because I've never given myself razor burn going WTG with any razor before. Anyway, I stopped the shave with a bit of touch up after that because I didn't want to make things worse.

On the plus side, I managed to get a socially acceptable shave going just with the grain with both of these razors, which is also something I've never managed before. They both shaved closely and smoothly at times; I think I just tried to take on too much in one go so I won't blame either razor for the burn at this point.

So, that wasn't very short and I apologise profusely for dragging this thread off topic. To make amends, I am going to buy an E2 that I found online and see how I go with that. It may be that my E3/4 or whatever it is gives perfectly good shaves but because I have doubts, I will never know if it is my technique or the razor when something goes wrong. I did drop it in the basin at one point and the blade didn't jump over the stops so I think it is in there firmly but I want to be sure and like you said, these razors can be found quite cheaply.
Brother Eagle,

I would recommend you shave with one razor for a week or longer, to get thoroughly acquainted with it, before moving on to subsequent razors. There's no need to rush, as you have a lifetime of shaving ahead of you! :a11:

Brother Eagle,

I would recommend you shave with one razor for a week or longer, to get thoroughly acquainted with it, before moving on to subsequent razors. There's no need to rush, as you have a lifetime of shaving ahead of you! :a11:
Thank you Santa Maria Steve, I think you are right. I got a little carried away with myself, buying a number of old razors recently (and a couple of new ones), and I tried to rush my way through the process of trying them out. I don't really know why - it's not as if they are going to get up and run out of the house before I have a chance to try them - I think I just felt guilty leaving them in a cupboard. A minimum of a week with each one sounds great and will be a far more relaxing way of trying them all out.

Thank you Santa Maria Steve, I think you are right. I got a little carried away with myself, buying a number of old razors recently (and a couple of new ones), and I tried to rush my way through the process of trying them out. I don't really know why - it's not as if they are going to get up and run out of the house before I have a chance to try them - I think I just felt guilty leaving them in a cupboard. A minimum of a week with each one sounds great and will be a far more relaxing way of trying them all out.

I had a rough time with my Type F when I first got it. After forcing myself to use it for a week of shaves straight, it became my favorite razor. I can't recommend sticking with one razor/blade combo enough. I'd also recommend trying to stick to one entire setup while in this "learning week": same pre-shave prep, razor, blade, soap/cream, brush, aftershave product/routine. If you're experienced with our various soaps/creams and brush combos, this might not be necessary. But, I still find my lathers vary slightly shave to shave: some slicker, some with more cushion. I'm a big advocate for minimizing the number of variables in a shave to hone in on what is working well with that combination of products. Hope you enjoy your finds!

Today's with the E was the best shave with an injection for so far. A BBS, easy shave with zero alum feedback and zero AS feedback. Effortless, which was needed since I was in a hurry this morning.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
JUST FROM THE WILD, Just picked up some Schick injectors E2 Canadian versions with the 1937 pat on them and even with cases from a near by antique store.
The Black Bakelite case was exclusive for Canadian E2 Version from my limited research. The razor and case show some wear and tear but lets see how the they look after some clean up and care.
The middle razor is a X1 1952 American super speed that is in reasonable condition and will be cleaned up shortly. I really enjoy my Schick E2 razor and it will always have a nice home here in my rotation. The E2 base metal is non magnetic but I am having a hard time pinpointing the base metal that is claded with gold overlay. Some later editions(F models) had a secret proprietary base metal with copper and alloyed.......brass? Does anyone know base metal for E2 Schick injectors with the overlayed gold (I believe its a brass alloy?)
Schicks from the Wild Sexsmith 1.jpg
Schicks from the wild 2.jpg

So my only (small) complaint about the injectors is that the shave doesn't last as long. It's 5:34 and I can feel stubble on my cheeks from shaving at 7:30 or so. If this was one of my DE's I wouldn't get that until 9 or 10 tonight.

I’ve now got a second E2 as a backup. 1 E2 made in Canada smooth Brass that doesn’t open and one US E2 pebbled brass that opens to the left. Paid 20 bucks for each and both are in very nice condition. My Canadian came with a case as well. Pretty happy. Havn’t shaved with the US E2 yet though. I wonder if there will be a difference.

US type E2 seems slightly more aggressive. Stikl very smooth and very efficient. Got a few weepers this shave; however, I did use a proline blade in this one and this is the first time I have ever used a proline blade so perhaps this aggressiveness perception is related to the blade and not the razor. I will have to reserve my final comparison judgement for after I have had much more time to use and compare both.

US type E2 seems slightly more aggressive. Stikl very smooth and very efficient. Got a few weepers this shave; however, I did use a proline blade in this one and this is the first time I have ever used a proline blade so perhaps this aggressiveness perception is related to the blade and not the razor. I will have to reserve my final comparison judgement for after I have had much more time to use and compare both.
One good thing to come out of my struggles to get the blade behind the stops of my E3/4 or whatever it is, is that I spent so long putting blades back in the Personna dispenser and injecting them again that I am now confident in my ability to cross load blades from dispensers that have no key, so I can happily try the B-20 Proline Feather blades in the future :)

Like any razor that I have acquired, the best shaves come after several uses where I develop the muscle memory and learn how to make them more effective. For me, this is why I think this hobby is so fun and interesting.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Like any razor that I have acquired, the best shaves come after several uses where I develop the muscle memory and learn how to make them more effective. For me, this is why I think this hobby is so fun and interesting.
+1

Top Bottom