What's new

Two new Canadian Hone additions

I was on the bay the other day and was looking at a Canadian hone producer in Red Deer, Alberta. I have had a hone from him in the past, however, at the time my skills were lacking and I wasn’t able to use the hone to its proper potential. As Mark has greatly expanded his product line I thought I would revisit them. I decided that I would pick a few up. I must say that both stones are fantastic, leave an wonderful edge and the resulting shaves are sublime. I dressed both hones to 600x SiC.

The Lochnivar Water Hone is just hard enough to not self slurry so I rubbed the “Razor Grit” slurry stone on it and made a milky slurry. I worked it for a while, slowly diluted as I went and finished on clear water. The edge was fantastic and the shave was amazing.
Dimensions: 7 7/8" by 2 7/16" by 1 1/2" - 15/16" [taper], 950 grams.

The Wild Rose hone is hard, actually it’s very hard and took some time to get it dressed properly. As this is strictly a finishing hone I used the razor I finished on the Lochnivar and did 100 passes on it with my oil of choice and water (very similar to balistol and water). The results were stellar, right on par with my Vintage Trans Ark and Charnwood.
Wild Rose 'Premium-Fine Grade':
9 7/8" by 2 1/4" by 7/8", 950 grams

Description from the manufacturer:

Wild Rose
Premium-Fine Grade

An ultra-hard, durable sharpening stone made from an excellent, tightly grained novaculite.

Found in the Canadian West, each piece is given processing in our regional workshop.

Use fine mineral oil as available by region or clean water if oil is never given in application.

If using water, slurry is made with diamond plates or specialty rubbing stones.

Silica powder composes in the structural geometry leaving edges brilliance & durability.

Microcrystalline particles release while honing create a more durable final polish than any type of synthetic stone.

The deposit is, itself, the result of the formation of the Rocky Mountain Chain as it extends into the province of

~ Alberta, Canada ~

This unique mineral is found in a varietal array of colours involving geological diffusion in mineral density &/or fineness.

Lochinvar
Water Hone

A versatile & durable sharpening stone made from an excellent, tightly grained novaculite.

Found in the Canadian West, each piece is given processing in our regional workshop.

Exceptional, high quality delivering comfortable, smooth control and surgical sharpness.

Unlike slate, a novaculite clay matrix contains fine silica dioxide. This stone produces an outstandingly durable edge.

Small geodes are at times present within the raw material.

The Lochinvar Water Hone is just slightly more hard than self-slurrying hones & yet a responsive and articulate stone with excellent finishing results.

Sedimentary matrix hones use free particles (i.e. slurry) to work the stone without clogging its porous surface.
Very fine, white slurry.

Razor Grit
Extra-Fine
Slurry Stone

The Razor Grit slurry stone provides an extra fine finishing slurry for water hones of all types.

The product allows for particles of steel to move away from the whetstone freely while sharpening.

~The soft texture of the Razor Grit gives itself quickly & easily to the surface to be used.~

Apply the slurry to the stone, in effect, sharpening for 60 - 80 strokes, add water to dilute the surface concentration.

For another 60 strokes, use the diluted slurry surface.

Finish with a series of light passes on the hone with nearly pure water.
B178E64D-D18F-477E-90AA-AC68743C5D42.jpeg
57627393-520D-40E7-97AD-A7F6A50C27F8.jpeg
487EC10B-1E8D-445D-87F4-3BA15492CEE7.jpeg

Fascinating. These are new to me.
I wish he had a website which explained each of his offerings, however, Mark is very helpful and will give you all of the information you ask for. What really got me was the cost, these hones are very inexpensive compared to some of the other offerings out there. All in and shipped to my door was $235 CAD, $177 USD.

I shaved again this morning with a 5/8 Sheffield blade finished on the Wild Rose and it was amazing! What a smooth shave, no aftershave burn at all.
I’m going to mess around with the Lochnivar Water Hone later today.

I use Gunzilla on all of my oil stones, wet the hone and apply a bit of the Gunzilla. The two do mix together like ballistol and water and the clean-up is very easy. It’s a natural product with no harmful chemicals at all, very nice stuff. I use it on all of my firearms and bushcraft tools and knives and have never had a complaint.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
What are these? There has to be more info about the type/location of mining, etc.

I’m interested, but not interested in a ‘magical mystery hone‘, been there done that, have the T-shirt.

Why would I choose one over a good jnat, thuri, or coti?

Inquiring minds want to know...

What are these? There has to be more info about the type/location of mining, etc.

I’m interested, but not interested in a ‘magical mystery hone‘, been there done that, have the T-shirt.

Why would I choose one over a good jnat, thuri, or coti?

Inquiring minds want to know...
To be honest I wouldn't choose one over any of those, I don't think they are better, just different. I got them because, being from Canada, I wanted a Canadian stone.
I believe it was @Gamma who just did a video on them which was very enlightened. I have had good results with the stones, but everyone has their opinion and I'm certainly ok with that.

Top Bottom