What's new

Two-Handed Razor Honing: Risky business?

Either way can work, and either way can have pitfalls but also benefits. On the bench I usually revert to using two hands, my left index finger just lightly resting on the toe of the razor to steer. I can feel the feedback towards the toe better sometimes that way. Also sometimes if a razor is a little floppy that can help (I have a couple in ivory that I haven't been able to get as tight as I want). Most of my honing lately has been in hand though and as I've gotten comfortable with it I think I prefer it, even with larger stones (none of mine are huge).

Starting out I honed in hand because somebody told me I should. I had problems controlling the pressure at the toe and usually underhoned out there. When I started honing on an ark I switched to bench honing and I used two hands because I needed more control. And I realized I was solving my toe pressure problem too. So I started doing my early work that way too. Eventually I came back to honing in hand even on arks and I had more experience and could feel what I was doing better.

Sometimes the size and shape of the razor makes it hard to control too. I have a skinny tang, 4/8 frameback that’s easy to flip into the stone if you're not careful. Two hands helps there.
Perfect! If either works then I will do both just to get good at the different ways of honing. Sometimes I feel like hand holding the stone but other times I want to sit down and use two hands on the bench stone. Glad to listen to your experience, thank you!

The only issue with using two hands would be excessive pressure. I like to do bevel work (and woodworking tools) with the stone on the bench but am finding honing in hand works better for finishing, I seem to get more even pressure. Not that I've managed to get a really good edge yet, probably won't until I retire as I don't have time for honing from now until the grass goes dormant in October.

It really is personal preference, all that really matters is getting a well honed edge with minimal razor wear.

while making the transition, I suggest a pair of these. 😉

1714332280131.png

When honing a straight razor i've heard that using two hands might be damaging to the edge.
Might be.
Might not be.

Anyone can cause damage to a razor using 1 hand. Or two.
And it's possible to not damage the razor using 1 hand or two.

The issue isn't the hand, or hands.

The issues is misplaced force, excessive pressure, whatever anyone wants to call it.
The old belief was that if you only used one hand you wouldn't have the opportunity to use the 'off' hand to press down where you shouldn't be pressing down. Some of the old crotchety web-bully types would spout off about stuff like this as though it was law. It's not law and most of them are gone now, thankfully.

Most two-handed people press on the spine with the other hand, which can sometimes interfere with torque, create spine wear, etc. Localized pressure can wreak havoc on edge development, sure. Pressing on the spine at the toe may/can/will cause the toe area to wear faster. There are no pix to validate this; common sense has to prevail.
Maybe the spine needed to wear more there, maybe it's not wearing enough to matter. No way for any one to know unless they are the one honing that particular blade. At the end of the day, maybe no one really cares. It's just shaving.

It's only a problem when it's a problem.
If there is no problem with two handed honing then two handed honing isn't a problem.

Honing is a personal thing. How someone does it is up to them. Truth be told, it is probably easier to gauge and effect torque more efficiently when using one hand most of the time. But then there are blades that seem to want to tip up more easily and a guide finger helps prevent that.

No doubt, some people have worn the heck outta their spines and toes honing without guidance, abusing pressure, etc.
I saw a YT video where someone was trying to push his blade right through his Snow White 8k, never saw anything like it. Wouldn't matter if he used one hand, two hands, his feet and his nose or channel locks, he was leaving swarf trails that looked like train tracks. Oddly, he's never satisfied with his edges or razors. Can't imagine why.

But that doesn't mean using two hands is always wrong and one handed is always the only right way to go. What matters is using even pressure, being consistent, and developing a continuous apex/bevel. If someone gets there with two hands, then so be it.
If someone is not getting 'there' using two hands, maybe try using one hand instead.

Might be.
Might not be.

Anyone can cause damage to a razor using 1 hand. Or two.
And it's possible to not damage the razor using 1 hand or two.

The issue isn't the hand, or hands.

The issues is misplaced force, excessive pressure, whatever anyone wants to call it.
The old belief was that if you only used one hand you wouldn't have the opportunity to use the 'off' hand to press down where you shouldn't be pressing down. Some of the old crotchety web-bully types would spout off about stuff like this as though it was law. It's not law and most of them are gone now, thankfully.

Most two-handed people press on the spine with the other hand, which can sometimes interfere with torque, create spine wear, etc. Localized pressure can wreak havoc on edge development, sure. Pressing on the spine at the toe may/can/will cause the toe area to wear faster. There are no pix to validate this; common sense has to prevail.
Maybe the spine needed to wear more there, maybe it's not wearing enough to matter. No way for any one to know unless they are the one honing that particular blade. At the end of the day, maybe no one really cares. It's just shaving.

It's only a problem when it's a problem.
If there is no problem with two handed honing then two handed honing isn't a problem.

Honing is a personal thing. How someone does it is up to them. Truth be told, it is probably easier to gauge and effect torque more efficiently when using one hand most of the time. But then there are blades that seem to want to tip up more easily and a guide finger helps prevent that.

No doubt, some people have worn the heck outta their spines and toes honing without guidance, abusing pressure, etc.
I saw a YT video where someone was trying to push his blade right through his Snow White 8k, never saw anything like it. Wouldn't matter if he used one hand, two hands, his feet and his nose or channel locks, he was leaving swarf trails that looked like train tracks. Oddly, he's never satisfied with his edges or razors. Can't imagine why.

But that doesn't mean using two hands is always wrong and one handed is always the only right way to go. What matters is using even pressure, being consistent, and developing a continuous apex/bevel. If someone gets there with two hands, then so be it.
If someone is not getting 'there' using two hands, maybe try using one hand instead.
Thank you! I am honing every day and experimenting with both of them. Either way i'm trying to slow down the honing strokes and make sure I get good quality strokes with both one hand and two hands. And most importantly i'm having fun doing it and learning the craft. Thank you again, cheers!

Top Bottom