What's new

Twig/Thorn vs. Vector

I know they probably appeal to somewhat different customer bases, but I was wondering if anyone here has both a Twig (or Thorn) and Vector and can shed some light on how they compare in terms of aggressiveness and size of the head?

I am pretty much exclusively using a Twig (also have a OneBlade) and really like the small skeletonized head and its maneuverability. On the other hand, I believe I can get a better shave with a true SE blade and don't like the material of the Twig too much. However, I do really prefer a small and nimble head. I felt the Vector may be a way forward, but it is hard to compare the size of the heads on pictures and I couldn't find any dimensions for the head of the Vector. Also, from what I read it may be quite a bit more aggressive than the Twig and maybe more comparable to the Thorn. The Twig with a Feather blade is just about right in terms of aggressiveness for me.

Background: I first ditched cartridges a few years ago and switched to the Leaf. However, the head is way too big and the whole thing just seemed cumbersome for a while. For a while after I used a OneBlade. While it is a very nice razor and gave me a great shave, I ultimately benched it. It does give me a slightly better shave than the Twig with half a Feather DE blade, but it isn't enough of a difference to put up with the price of the FHS blades. Also, the pivot seems more of a gimmick in hindsight and only makes the shave more complicated for me. At least I find the the Twig with its fixed head a lot more intuitive to use. I have very thick hair and the OneBlade clogs up. The Twig doesn't.

I think you should keep your eyes open for a used Vector. If you don't like it you will be able to sell it for what you paid. They are well-liked and sell quickly. I have never found it to be all that aggressive, but I have no experience with those other razors you mentioned, so I can't compare it to those. I know this, it is a well made and beautiful razor. I've had two and the straight bar did not feel aggressive to me at all. The open comb is almost perfect.

My wife has a Twig and I've used it several times. I have a stainless steel Vector. There really is no comparison between the two. Other than they are both SE razors that's where the similarity ends.

The Vector, like all AC razors, can be fine-tuned by various blade choices. Guarded AC blades are the mildest, I prefer the Feather Pro Guard, while others prefer the Kai brand. The Feather Pro Super is the most aggressive because it's wider making the razor more blade-forward. Other AC blades are between those two, and sharpness varies by manufacturer, just like DE blades.

I took a picture for you to see the difference in the head length.

20230816_191556.jpg

Thanks so much for the picture, Big_T. That helps a lot. Looks like it is barely wider and otherwise about the same size.

I understand that there is no comparison in terms of their general construction, build quality, and blade types. They are similar in that they have a very small and nimble head and I have a strong preference for that. Not big on collecting razors, so I am looking for a SE that can handle all my needs, sell the OneBlade and give the Twig to my wife.

@Pat Puma: thanks for the advice, will keep an eye out for a used one while waiting for a sale.

You note that you are not a collector. When I got a Vector, I sold off several high quality razors because for me the Vector is just that good. I think if you like the Twig, you will love the Vector.

Thanks so much for the picture, Big_T. That helps a lot. Looks like it is barely wider and otherwise about the same size.

I understand that there is no comparison in terms of their general construction, build quality, and blade types. They are similar in that they have a very small and nimble head and I have a strong preference for that. Not big on collecting razors, so I am looking for a SE that can handle all my needs, sell the OneBlade and give the Twig to my wife.

@Pat Puma: thanks for the advice, will keep an eye out for a used one while waiting for a sale.
I should have mentioned, I recently bought a new Vector and got 20% from Blackland by signing up for text messages. That was still $180 for an open comb with the base machined finish, which is really a very nice brushed look.

I personally don't find the Vector very aggressive. I had initially thought it would be so I started with a KAI Pink blade. That blade was too mild for my liking. When I switched to a Proline blade, it was pure bliss.

I should have mentioned, I recently bought a new Vector and got 20% from Blackland by signing up for text messages.

At the moment that is 10% and unfortunately it seems those 10% can't be combined with the military/first responder/teacher discount. May have to pick up a used one or wait for black Friday deals.

Thanks everyone for the additional input on aggressiveness. It seems opinions on how aggressive the Vector is vary a lot. Guess I will just have to give it a try once I can find one at a good price.

You might want to consider the stainless steel V3 Razorock Hawk or Hawk-A (aggressive).

Much lower price, even if you get both the regular and the A plate. The head is larger than the Vector but it's still very maneuverable. Plus you have the choice of many different handles.

I found the Vector to have a bit of a learning curve, mainly because it requires some pressure due to its light weight whereas the Hawk gave me great shaves right out of the box. And blade changes are easier with the Hawk because the Vector head is so tiny.

Here's another comparison picture for you.

20230817_110253.jpg

Thanks for the picture, I would rather just keep using the twig than add an AC razor with a much larger head.

Ordered one of the black PVD coated blemish vectors. We shall see how well it works for me.

Got the vector today and used it with a Feather Pro Guard and Stirling Soap Electric Sheep. Found it intuitive to use. It is interesting, a lot of blade feel but not too aggressive. No irritation/nicks/cuts.

Very happy with the result, first try went a lot better than expected. Will report back once I have completed a few more shaves.

Here is another picture in case someone needs a size comparison.

Attachments

• PXL_20230914_182108454.jpg
    PXL_20230914_182108454.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 62
Got the vector today and used it with a Feather Pro Guard and Stirling Soap Electric Sheep. Found it intuitive to use. It is interesting, a lot of blade feel but not too aggressive. No irritation/nicks/cuts.

Very happy with the result, first try went a lot better than expected. Will report back once I have completed a few more shaves.

Here is another picture in case someone needs a size comparison.
What do you think about the black finish on the Vector?

It isn't deep 100% black, but a bit lighter. It looks and feels nice. I don't see any obvious flaws in natural light.

If I take a strong flashlight to it I can see some uneven coating on the top cap and tool marks underneath. Also, and I am really not sure about this, it looks like the coating in the grooves of the handle is a bit lighter / thinner. It is very hard to see and pinpoint though. Maybe I am just imagining things.

One more picture to illustrate just how small the head of the Vector is even relative to the Twig. One can see the machine marks below the top cap coating.

Attachments

• PXL_20230914_182220952.jpg
    PXL_20230914_182220952.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 54
sigma what are your thoughts on the Vector so far? I've got a similar situation to you. I have a Leaf Twig, but was really wanting a Vector. I finally pulled the trigger on a gold PVD one when they went up for sale. It's definitely different! I like it better than the twig, though it has considerably higher aggression & blade feel for me. I only have the Feather Pro blades now. I'll probably get Pro Guard next time. Just curious about your experience so far.

I am still trying to wrap my head around it and may need a few more shaves to give a more definitive answer.

For reference, I am using Feather blades in the Twig and basically have to toss them after one shave for comfort. Other blades are either outright uncomfortable and tugging or need too much work to get a close shave.

I used a Feather ProGuard for my first two shaves with the Vector and the result was only a slightly closer shave than the Twig/Feather combo. The Vector/ProGuard combo has a lot of blade feel, but it felt intuitive and "safe" in the sense that I didn't have to focus on avoiding nicks and cuts. It felt a lot more aggressive than it actually is.

I just completed a shave with the Vector and a Feather Professional and it was very different. Paradoxically there is significantly less blade feel for me and I get a much closer shave. I think I prefer this combination. Shave was comfortable, close, and irritation free. However, now I have to pay attention to not cut myself and immediately got a weeper on a bump from an ingrown hair. I assume this will get better as I get used to the razor.

This is going well enough that I will definitely get rid of my OneBlade Genesis and the Twig probably won't get much use either if the mental burden of the Vector with Feather Professional reduces over time.

Not quite apples to apples, but I just took delivery of a Yaqi Excalibur head. Not sure what version it is. Alignment is awful, so it might be v1 (which is said to be very aggressive). Using a Feather Professional, it is very bladefeely, maybe too much so. It does cut through some hard to cut flat lying hairs very well. I do really enjoy how large the head it, the real estate it covers is impressive. Even though I think the head is uninspiring, it does make me want to explore the format in a higher quality/price razor.

The Kai Captain Pink Mild would be the most advanced (non-guard) blade in this format. It has special tempering, titanium coating and advance comfort coating layer. If the reviews are to be believed, they are very highly regarded in a Vector.

Also, one needs to pay attention to injector blade alignment when discharging a blade. If the blade is not in line with the blades below it, it might scape against the metal case and dull the blade. This happened to my first Feather Pro blade.

I have given up on my Twig for face shaving (expect for sometimes lining things up). It makes for a fine body shave though.

Top Bottom