What's new

Leaf Thorn razor

I ordered a Leaf Twig razor and about an hour later I was reading somewhere here where a guy bought a Twig and found it way too mild. So I cancelled my order and ordered a Thorn. I think I will like it more.
I also tried a Henson. I found the + model and the ++ model to be way too mild. So I ordered the +++. It must be something about the angle of the blade but I found it to be very aggressive. And I have used a lot of very aggressive razors but they were much smoother than the Henson +++. So I don't know what to expect with the Thorn. Hope I like it.

So I don't know what to expect with the Thorn. Hope I like it.
I hope the Thorn works out well for you!

While I don't have a Twig/Thorn, I do have the regular Leaf razor with pivoting head. I got it for head shaving and while I'm currently using a Gillette Tech to develop my technique, I think the Leaf is a well built product and a wonderful head shaver.

I see there a many modern razors for sale where the buyer has to choose from various different base plates, from mild to efficient/aggressive. I've always wondered how I would decide which one to choose. Some of these razors/base plates are pretty expensive. I guess that's why I mostly shave with vintage razors, though there are a few modern razors that pique my interest (Karve Overland, Backland Blackbird and Vector).

Reactions: Kix
I hope the Thorn works out well for you!

While I don't have a Twig/Thorn, I do have the regular Leaf razor with pivoting head. I got it for head shaving and while I'm currently using a Gillette Tech to develop my technique, I think the Leaf is a well built product and a wonderful head shaver.

I see there a many modern razors for sale where the buyer has to choose from various different base plates, from mild to efficient/aggressive. I've always wondered how I would decide which one to choose. Some of these razors/base plates are pretty expensive. I guess that's why I mostly shave with vintage razors, though there are a few modern razors that pique my interest (Karve Overland, Backland Blackbird and Vector).
There are many razors to choose from. Most of them are good. You have to find the one that suits you the best.
An extremely popular one is the Merkur 34c. For about $42.00 it's hard to beat.

There are many razors to choose from. Most of them are good. You have to find the one that suits you the best.
An extremely popular one is the Merkur 34c. For about $42.00 it's hard to beat.
Yep, that's right! My three modern razors are the Merkur Progress, 34C and 37C. All solid performers for a good price.

I had a Thorn and used it in rotation for about six months. It was too aggressive/efficient for me. So the good folks at Leaf GAVE me a Twig baseplate and even installed it for me. So now I have a Twig, and I'm very fond of it. The difference isn't dramatic, but it's noticeable.

I have the thorn it’s considerably milder than some of my other razors like the above the tie R1 and Lupo, 95. It’s comparable to the game changer, 84. May be slightly more aggressive.

I like it so far. Splitting a DE blade. Seems to get a lot more usage out of the razor blades.

The top cap of the razor doesn’t seem to align with the blade angle, but it doesn’t really affect the shave too. The manufacturer claims it doesn’t, but if you’re someone who likes to ride the top cap, it might.

Someone else mentioned having an issue with the plating wearing off overtime, so I’m looking out for that.

It’s a pretty economical razor, and I feel you get more economical use of your razor blades with it.

The lack of aggression or blade gap makes a little more difficult to shave my neck then some of my other razors.

Also, one piece razors like this are a little bit more difficult to clean however, I have a small vibration tank for cleaning eyeglasses that works for razors.

Those are my thoughts so far.

I've had the Thorn razor for about 2 weeks now and I am still very excited about it. I just love this razor. I find it shaves very smoothly, I get a close shave with it and I feel no irritation. I love the low profile of the head. It's very nimble for getting into tight spots. My other razors don't get much use lately. Also this is a beautiful razor.

Thorn_.jpg
Leaf_.JPG

My two big is criticisms of this razor:

1) it needs to be more aggressive

2) have the grab the razor near the top at the cap because you can loosen it near the bottom

Positives
1) it shaves under my nose better than any razor i own . Because of its small base plate.

2. Using the standard DE blade that you split in half makes the blades last longer.

3. If you shave parallel to the cap very unlikely to Nick yourself.

I like it a lot but I would’ve preferred a stainless steel razor. I’m concerned about the finish overtime.

Yep, that's right! My three modern razors are the Merkur Progress, 34C and 37C. All solid performers for a good price.
Those are some good razors you have !! I just got a 34c courtesy of a generous member but I Really , Really want to try one of the Progress razors or one of the Yaqi final cut razors even... Have you tried the Yaqi final cut ??

I’ve been using the thorn for about six months.

It’s good. Before that I was using a game changer or Lupo or above the tie.

My only complaint are, I would’ve preferred a stainless steel razor and I would’ve preferred a little bit more blade gap. Also, it’s a one piece razor so would be difficult to clean though I do have ultrasonic cleaner I can use so it’s not a problem for me.

The only other issue I ran into is that to twist the handle when I’m shaving if I grip it near the end, which loosen the cap. So you need to grip it close to the head.

But it’s an excellent razor especially for areas where you have trouble getting the head of a razor like underneath your nose. I may make it my daily driver. I had a few nicks with it when I first started but I’ve kind of adjusted my shaving technique for this razor.

It seems to work better at about a 20° angle and short strokes. But after I got the hang of it, I havent nicked myself in a month or so. The other thing I like about it is you can take a DE blade and split it into and use it which seems to make my razor blades last longer.

May sell my other razors and just use this as my primary blade although when you get it, you’ll notice that when you tighten the top cap it doesn’t appear to be parallel. Other people have said it doesn’t affect the shave and I’m on the fence about that. I would prefer it was parallel to the bottom cap. You can ride the top cap and I don’t know how that would not affect the shave. Almost always, don’t now.

May sell my other razors and just use this as my primary blade although when you get it, you’ll notice that when you tighten the top cap it doesn’t appear to be parallel. Other people have said it doesn’t affect the shave and I’m on the fence about that. I would prefer it was parallel to the bottom cap. You can ride the top cap and I don’t know how that would not affect the shave. Almost always, don’t now.
As you tighten the top cap you can push the top cap with your finger so it lines up perfectly. But it is not necessary because the edge of the blade lines up straight with the razors edge.

I still love this razor. I just ordered a spare of a different color. I use this razor 90% of the time. It's the best razor I ever owned.
I have a silver one now and I just ordered a mercury colored one today. Great razor.

As you tighten the top cap you can push the top cap with your finger so it lines up perfectly. But it is not necessary because the edge of the blade lines up straight with the razors edge.

I still love this razor. I just ordered a spare of a different color. I use this razor 90% of the time. It's the best razor I ever owned.
I have a silver one now and I just ordered a mercury colored one today. Great razor.
I think I want to sell mine. Unfortunately I moved to recently and the soft water where I live makes it difficult for me to hold the razor. Also it’s not aggressive enough for me. I need more blade gap.

Top Bottom