What's new

Leaf Thorn razor

I already have a Twig (Gold) and absolutely love it. Not the closest shave I've ever had but I'm not someone who chases BBS shaves all the time. Today I ordered a Thorn (Mercury) and have my fingers crossed it's not too aggressive. I definitely prefer mild razors with really good blades. We'll see what happens when I get it early next week. 🤞

I already have a Twig (Gold) and absolutely love it. Not the closest shave I've ever had but I'm not someone who chases BBS shaves all the time. Today I ordered a Thorn (Mercury) and have my fingers crossed it's not too aggressive. I definitely prefer mild razors with really good blades. We'll see what happens when I get it early next week. 🤞

How does the Twig compare to a Henson + or ++? I’m getting to love my Henson ++, but I have a hard time under the nose and some tight spots of the neck. Is it easy to find the angle like with the Henson? Is it a good autopilot razor?

We
How does the Twig compare to a Henson + or ++? I’m getting to love my Henson ++, but I have a hard time under the nose and some tight spots of the neck. Is it easy to find the angle like with the Henson? Is it a good autopilot razor?
Well, I can't compare it to the Henson since I don't have one. 🤷‍♂️
I will say the shave angle is easy to find. I'd say it's about 20 degrees as opposed to the usual DE safety razor 30 degrees or so. So not completely parallel to the face but a more shallow angle than you may be used to. It took me about five seconds to adjust. And yes, it's great in tight spots. The head is quite thin.

I will say this, I have owned all 3 Henson razors, +, ++, +++, and I much prefer the Leaf Thorn to all of them.
I love this razor. I own 2 now.

Reactions: Kix
How do you like the Thorn razor?

Here is a picture of my Thorn Silver and the Mercury razors. They made the Mercury a little darker than it should be, but I still like it a lot.

Thorn_XX.jpg
Thorn_Nivea_00.JPG

I purchased a chrome Leaf Thorn a couple of weeks ago and I am enjoying using this razor. I particularly like the very nimble and compact head design. The chrome finish appears perfect and the razors rounded corners and edges are all super smooth which contributes to its close to cartridge like carefree shaving. The TTO mechanism is very smooth and the blade positioning in the base plate appears to be spot on perfect and precise. The razor is very mild but still delivers an excellent and super comfortable shave after 3 passes.

I loved my Twig. Only thing that bothered me (slightly) about it, was its twist mechanism got rusty after a while. You need to put some drops of oil in the mechanism every now and then. For the rest, splendid shaves. And matches well with a lot of blades.

I have a Thorn and have used it for 4 shaves. I like the single edge ease of use. The handle, to me, is a little slippery, forcing me to hold the razor near the head.

Truth be known, I tend to easily over-shave with the Thorn, and if I use a light touch, the shave isn't quite as close as it should be. I get a good shave, it just doesn't last as long as the shave I get from milder razors. I'm not fond of "walking the tightrope" feeling with an overly aggressive razor.

So, I'm going to swap the Thorn for a Twig, hoping for a better fit. That's the good thing about ordering direct from Leaf, there is a 60 day trial period. I get excellent shaves from an Overlander as well as the Henson mild, Simple Clean Shave, etc., so the Twig might be more to my liking. The older my skin gets, the less tolerance I have for aggressive razors. Good thing there's a great selection of razors that are mild and deliver BBS shaves.

I have been using my Leaf Thorn with Derby Premium and Treet Platinum blades which work very well for me in most razors but I felt that in the Thorn they were a tad too mild. I decided to try a Feather blade and that has added just enough efficiency to the Thorn to make it perform noticeably better for me and makes it easier to get a DFS+. It still is a very mild and comfortable razor with the Feather blades though. For the next blade I am going to try a Kai.

I have been using my Leaf Thorn with Derby Premium and Treet Platinum blades which work very well for me in most razors but I felt that in the Thorn they were a tad too mild. I decided to try a Feather blade and that has added just enough efficiency to the Thorn to make it perform noticeably better for me and makes it easier to get a DFS+. It still is a very mild and comfortable razor with the Feather blades though. For the next blade I am going to try a Kai.
I would like to suggest a Personna blade. That's what I use, Lab Blue and they work great. Smooth but sharp.

Top Bottom