What's new

Trumper colognes;on which did you receive nice comments?

And which were indifferent?
And which received bad comments?
Which of their smells did you like without taking into account if it was good on you?
I just opened the sample vials and smelled them once or twice and think I liked the smell of spanich leather and skye.
Any ideas which would be best suited to a 30-year old?
I give you one point for each question you answer.

Have a nice day

Panos :ladysman:

1. Marlborough
2. Bay Rum
3. everyone's different, YMMV me thinks, get another sample pack and specify which ones you awnt to try, mentioning that this is your second pack

I got several scents in my sample pack and here are my thoughts:

1. Lime - smelled nice and would be great for warmer weather but it lasted about 10 minutes.
2. Eau de Quinine - really nice and unusual. Can't put my finger on it but I would like to try it again.
3. Spanish Leather - Nothing special. Go buy the generic English Leather or Old Spice and you'll get the same reaction at a tenth of the price.
4. Milk of Flowers - Smelled like cloves and was just not for me.
5. GFT - Liked this one the best and purchased a bottle after using the sample.

GFT was the only one that got any type of positive response from my wife and it lasts all day on me.

It is assertively masculine, yet utterly beautiful and inoffensive. when you walk into a room it declares to man and woman alike that you are the alpha male. It smells classy, rich and has amazing silage and longevity. good compliments from females (i passed a sample vial around between my girlfriend and some girl pals and they all liked it) and will set you apart from high street cologne wearers. Reminds me of Gucci Envy, which my brother showed up wearing the other day andi compared them... Sandalwood smells better, less synthetic. Of all my colognes it is one that a man of any age could wear. Certainly not a fusty smell, nor is it boyish. Do only spray it once, and against your lower neck/upper chest. that is all you need.

others i own or have tried:
skye - (hate that jellybean smell) gives me a headache and lasts minutes at most;

fern - smells nice, probably best suited for an older academic in tweed;

GFT - nice for everyday, casual wear but is a dirty citrus which is not to everyone's liking. i find when i wear this, the women in my life aren't fussed on it, but the men think it smells nice;

Limes - longivity can be measured in seconds, minutes tops. A joke, no other notes to hold the lime. great to freshen up with though;

Marlborough, curzon etc (the trumper collecion) - i remember one smelled something like powdery lemon, which was about as good as it got, the rest were offensively fusty;

Eucris - suitable only for bond villains and over 40's. VERY deep and only one girl i have known has liked it. others frankly stated that it smells bad. Some have even called it an "old man smell!". it is a unique complex scent, though somewhat akin to old spice and blackcurrents. quite overpowering and i get a headache from it sometimes. It is not the Eucris mentioned in Bond - that is the hairdressing, which apparently smelt different at the time. Now the hairdressing seems to just be scented with Ajaccio Violets!

Portugal - smells lovely - juicy oranges for a brief brief moment, then onto the rosmary etc, which is slightly discordant.

Ajaccio Violets-Love the smell, negative number on the sillage. Would be great as an aftershave or hydrosol-type, not so good as a high-dollar cologne.

Wellington - The Woody bits of the Blenheim Bouquet without the top citrus notes. Like this one quite a lot.

GFT - My favorite. Went through 6 ml of samples, then bought the bottle. I love it, couldn't care less what other people think.

Milk of Flowers - Strangely compelling. Too much clove, though. If they upped the carnation and lost some of the clove it would be smashing.

Eucris - What can you say that hasn't been said?

Under 30, the GFT seems the logical choice.

Been complimented on Spanish Leather a few times, people seem to like it. No "old man" reactions either (I'm 24) except from my wife the first time she smelt it. Now she likes it too.

Through what I own (Sandalwood, Ajaccio Violet, and Limes) and what I've tried recently through the sampler packages, I am somewhat mixed on Trumper as a whole. The quality is undeniably there - these are obviously well-made fragrances. However, outside of the three I own plus two others I will be purchasing shortly (GFT and Spanish Leather), I have struggled mightily with Trumper's offerings. Some have been downright unpleasant (e.g. Eucris and Marlborough) and others are fleeting and unspectacular (e.g. Skye, Cologne, and Portugal).

When I recently devoted myself to exploring Trumper, I was expecting that I would be able to connect with almost all of this house's offerings, just like I have with Penhaligon's. In that regard, I am surprised with my lack of success with Trumpers. I know fragrance is the ultimate "your mileage may vary" experience, affected by all sorts of personal variables, but I was not expecting some of the, um, challenge of most of the older Trumper scents.

In response to some of the previous posts re: Ajaccio Violet, do not underestimate its sillage or staying power....while no means a powerhouse, it is still detectable on my skin after 3 hours or so (i.e. I can get a morning out of it). Also, my wife recently commented at about the hour and a half mark into a recent wearing that it was actually too strong. Again, everyone's experience may be different, but I would not put Ajaccio Violet into the same bucket as Trumper's Limes, which is truly suitable only for a quick pick-me-up, invariably gone after a half hour.

I really like the Spanish Leather,it's a great cool weather cologne.
My second favorite is the Portugal,a little short lived but a fresh clean scent.
GFT I gave to my kids,a little to lemony fresh for me.

I think that it is VERY important for you to try the scents on your body before any judgement is made. The scents that I liked the least on a test strip smelled absolutely wonderful on my person. Eucris and Marlborough are my two favorites (I am 33) and the two from which I've received the most compliments. When wearing Eucris, I have had both men and women stop me and sing its praises. As I stated before, see how the scent reacts to your personal chemistry before passing judgement.

Kind of a side story: A few months back a friend (also a wet shaver) and I went to our local vendor of shave swag in search of a cologne or two. It was really astounding to smell how differently each scent reacted on each of us. Many times a scent that was unpleasant on one of us was very nice on the other.

Thanks everybody for the answers.Let's start trying my 12 samples now.If I don't like any of them,I will try a cocktail like the other guy with Penhaligon.After Penhaligon's "TEN" the next step is Trumper's "TWELVE" :biggrin:

I only ever receive negative comments when using the GFT colognes, any of them. I occasionally throw one in, between Penhaligon's or Floris days, and my wife has a 100% identification (and negative comment) rate on those GFT days.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Eucris - it has great topnotes and dry down, favored for winter use.
Ajaccio Violets - a short-lived summer pleasure.
Wild Fern - Very pleasant but I slightly prefer Penhaligon's smoother rendition.

My wife and I like all of these. I don't tend to get comments from strangers about how I smell, so I have no idea what impression these leave on people around me.

I only ever receive negative comments when using the GFT colognes, any of them. I occasionally throw one in, between Penhaligon's or Floris days, and my wife has a 100% identification (and negative comment) rate on those GFT days.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Wives are funny like that. Then again, the $63 US you have to spend for the GFT cologne is a lot to pay for negative press.

Wives are funny like that. Then again, the $63 US you have to spend for the GFT cologne is a lot to pay for negative press.

I just used the samples from the recent Trumpers samples bonanza - wearing scent that your wife likes is important for so many obvious reasons :001_smile

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Top Bottom