What's new

Trouble with a Sheaffer Vacuum Filler

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I took apart and cleaned the fabric of the case and it looks quite nice now. I did lose the Sheaffer's logo on the lid liner, but it was so grungy and ink stained that it's an acceptable compromise to me.
I am toying with the idea of using my printer which can print directly on a CD to re-print the Sheaffer's logo

$sheafferspensad1944matted.jpg

$2013-05-12_13-18-31_336.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The pen writes smoothly and despite the small size of the Tuckaway, capped it is quite comfortable to hold.

$2013-05-12_13-20-41_173.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The matching pencil is in perfect condition, though I will need to find a source for erasers.
I used it to make the sketch of the pen up above.

$2013-05-12_13-21-36_171.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That's the upside.

The downside is that while trying to use a substitute o-ring, I managed to crack the body of a touchdown desk pen I was working on.

I have managed to repair it and you can't tell it was cracked - but it's worth noting to other restorers - don't substitute.
Buy the correct o ring made for these pens.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I figured that out the hard way too. I went to Kragen's and got a carburetor o-ring that didn't quite fit and almost broke a piston filler mech, the o-ring got stuck and wouldn't pull back out.

I guess one bicycle tube can repair about 500 Vac-Fil Sheaffer's? :001_smile

I made a mess of a snorkel trying to fix it in a creative way at work... I leaned my lesson, thank goodness the pen was already in rough shape. The pen now sits out whenever I go to fix something to keep a reminder to do it right or not at all

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
((2 inch x pi) x (20 inch x pi)) / 5/16" punch hole

(6.2832)x(62.832)/0.3125=1263 with no waste.
Of course there will be waste, but even 50% gets you over 600! :lol:

Top Bottom