What's new

Trouble with a Sheaffer Vacuum Filler

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok, I've been doing overhauls on Snorkels and Touch Downs so much that I felt I had to up the game and bought a very nice Tuckaway Pen and Pencil Set.
I'm having a great deal of difficulty in removing the Nib from the front of the section.

I'm informed that these are smooth and not threaded, and that sometimes they are held in place with shellac.

I've soaked in ammonia, and worked on this pen, but that sucker is tight!

Before I go to the next stage, which is heating the section, I just wanted to get a confirmation from folks that the triumph nib on the vacuum fill Tuckaway is in fact NOT threaded, just press fit.

Can anyone confirm this?

I googled the heck out of this looking for an answer and came up empty... And I think we lost the FPN wayword souls, so hopefull Doug or Brian know the answer to this one

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I got the impression from the Noodler's man. His youtube videos are pretty thorough.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Most are threaded but some are stuck on with a gummy adhesive that melts sooner than shellac.

Hopefully yours is threaded. Use Ron Zorn's section sealant to re-install.

edit: Are you trying to remove the section from the barrel or remove the nib from the section? Some sections aren't removable, there are at least a couple types.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The nib from the section, as the vacuum tube appears to be pretty similar to the one he's working on in this video. The "not threaded" part comes at about 0:24:10

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I wouldn't take that apart unless really needed (section or feed replacement or leaky joint) since the filler repair can be done once the section is out. I just looked at one of mine, although it has the piston riding directly in the barrel, not a separate ink tube like Nathan's. But my nib has some very fine threads.

More like this guy's video.

Haven't done one of these since 2004, the last was too frustrating for me to get correct. Fortunately better parts are available now,

Last edited by a moderator:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I wouldn't take that apart unless really needed (section or feed replacement or leaky joint) since the filler repair can be done once the section is out. I just looked at one of mine, although it has the piston riding directly in the barrel, not a separate ink tube like Nathan's. But my nib has some very fine threads.

More like this guy's video.

Haven't done one of these since 2004, the last was too frustrating for me to get correct. Fortunately better parts are available now,

I actually watched that video too, and didn't pay too much attention because he already has it all disassembled.

What I did get from watching it again just now is that the nib / section piece is not threaded and is press fit, but the nib and section assembly is indeed threaded into the piece in front of the vacuum reservoir. That joint was what I was asking about.

It just wasn't clear in the other video.

Thanks, I appreciate the help and I now have the answer that I was looking for, which is yes - it is threaded.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
With a Vac-Fil it's not a happy ending until the plunger rod goes down with a satisfying "pop" and the pen easily fills 80%

I'll get there. I have my bicycle inner tube ready, and while I'm in Michigan and Indiana on business, the nib and barrel are soaking, waiting my return.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just got back to the house and after 2 days of soaking, it screwed right out.
I'll make gaskets and re-assemble this weekend.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Actually if you could get out the crayons and construction paper, Id kind of like to see you attempt to do that instead

I'd be happy to, and believe I would do a lot better with that media.

Unfortunately, in order for you to see it, I'd have to take a picture of my drawing and upload it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok - here you go.

$Image1.jpg

Top Bottom