What's new

Sheaffer Triumph Vacuum Fill

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Picked up a beautiful grey and pearl striated Sheaffer yesterday. This will be my second vacuum fill restore.
What surprised me was when I was looking it up is that it is a "Triumph" pen.

I had always assumed that Triumph referred only to the triumph nib used on these pens. What I have discovered is that there appears to actually be a "Triumph" pen as identified by the oversized cap band.
These are apparently often referred to as a Balance with a Triumph nib, but that appears NOT to be the case. These are NOT Tuckaways, although the Tuckaway was at one point provided with the wide cap band, and no clip.

Of interest is that the grey/pearl striated was the only model provided with the nickel broken line cap band. All other colors were provided with the solid line gold cap band.

Anyone have any adverts that confirm this? The info I got was from Richards Pens, and he has a pretty thorough identification listing on his site.
He says;

Because Sheaffer used the “TRIUMPH” point on many models from the 1940s to the 1990s, the most immediately obvious distinguishing feature of the “TRIUMPH” pens themselves is their extravagantly broad cap band, as illustrated below.

$post-17575-0-18570100-1298152349.jpg
$IMG_309108_enl.JPG

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Good to know. It's a beautiful pen, and when the Vacuum Fill pens are restored, they work wonderfully and hold a ton of ink.

how good have you gotten at fixing these guys Phil ? (I dont own any for the record so there isnt a follow up question lol)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
how good have you gotten at fixing these guys Phil ? (I dont own any for the record so there isnt a follow up question lol)

I was surprised at how easy it really is once you know how all the parts fit together. That was the biggest challenge. There are some very good videos out there which go into great detail and saved me a ton of sorrow.
Soaking the pen for days if need be to loosen the connection between the section and the nib for instance.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
And...

Today we have a broken feed. :cursing:

Fortunately, I have some spare Triumph nibs about. But it's a warning not to be impatient. Soak it for days and days if need be.

And...

Today we have a broken feed. :cursing:

Fortunately, I have some spare Triumph nibs about. But it's a warning not to be impatient. Soak it for days and days if need be.

BTW where abouts do you fix the pens ?,... You get the repair parts, Ill get the windex :syn:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
BTW where abouts do you fix the pens ?,... You get the repair parts, Ill get the windex :syn:

Disassembly at the kitchen counter near the sink. Windex to the ready.
Re-assembly at my desk in the Den.

I actually use windex to soak pens in. It has ammonia, and really cleans things up nicely.

any chance of the windex hurting older ebonite feeds or pen materials,... or does this only work on certain pen types ??

cause thats a good tip !

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
any chance of the windex hurting older ebonite feeds or pen materials,... or does this only work on certain pen types ??

cause thats a good tip !

I can't speak for material types and compatibility. I do know that windex is basically a soapy solution with ammonia in it, and the pen gurus are soaking their pens in ammonia, so it can't be too bad, right?
The pen I'm referring to is from the mid 40's, and it's an exact duplicate of the one in this video, except it's grey and pearl instead of brown, and the guy clearly says he's soaking in ammonia.

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Probably shouldn't use Windex for pen cleaning, it contains alcohol along with other chemicals -- the surfactants are OK but others from the MSDS ...

STATE RIGHT TO KNOW
Ingredient
Hexyloxyethanol 112-25-4 -
Ammonium hydroxide 1336-21-6
Isopropyl alcohol 67-63-0

Just buy some nice cheap ammonia, Phil.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks Doug, appreciate the info.
Ammonia is positively cheaper, and I won't get the glares from the wife when I pour half a bottle into a container! :lol:

I think I've been ok so far because I do heat the windex up and then put ice in it to cool it down down before I put a pen to soak in it. The heating has probably driven off most of the alcohol, and the ice dilutes it quite a bit (and I dilute it 50/50 with water before I heat it)
But better safe than sorry, eh?

Top Bottom