What's new

Triple Milled Soap Questions?

I was reading a recent thread about triple milled soaps and it got me to wondering, "what exactly is triple milled?" Of course there is wiki about this, so now I know.

Now to my questions;

1. It seems to me that all triple milled soaps are hard soaps but not all soaps are triple milled. Kind of like all thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs. Is that true?
  2. What is it about triple milling that makes it appealing?
  3. Is it better than double milling? I've not even heard of double milled soaps. Is there even such a thing?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
There's a brief write-up in the wiki, but the essence is that the soap is processed three times to get as much moisture out of the puck as possible. This is what makes them so hard, why they last so long, and why on a $/gram they are generally a little more costly than other soaps (i.e. you're buying more soap and less water).

I soak my triple milled soaps to soften them up and make loading my brush easier and faster. The pucks also tend to grow in size (and weight) when continually used as the dry-puck wants to absorb water.

1. It seems to me that all triple milled soaps are hard soaps but not all soaps are triple milled. Kind of like all thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs. Is that true? - exactly
  2. What is it about triple milling that makes it appealing? - they will last longer than non-triple milled soaps. They tend to absorb water as you use and will "swell." Soaps like the Fat are particularly thirsty and many of us will soak for upwards of 24 hours after getting a new puck.
  3. Is it better than double milling? I've not even heard of double milled soaps. Is there even such a thing? - IMHO there's nothing inherently better about triple milled. It's a harder soap, takes longer to make, and will last longer. As always, your personal preference will take precedent over simply buying a soap that's triple milled.

It basically comes down to personal preference. Some people like triple milled soaps because they are more dense and can get more shaves per puck than a croap or softer soap. The glycerin has been removed during the milling process. I have learned to concentrate more on performance and scent rather than the type of soap when looking for new products. There are soaps in each category that are great and terrible all the same. There are some really good vegan soaps and good tallow soaps. The list of good shaving soaps is getting endless.

They don't seem to get much love here, I really like GreenMountain soap. They are Tripple milled and retain the glycerin.

The qualities really depend on the soap - triple milling is just one way to dehydrate the puck. For instance, Martin de Candre "ages" their soaps prior to sale, and their soaps are at least as hard as any triple milled soap I've come across.

They don't seem to get much love here, I really like GreenMountain soap. They are Tripple milled and retain the glycerin.
Your right Green Mountain is a great product, pure, chemical free, and made in the USA! Try there bayberry bath bars also great

The qualities really depend on the soap - triple milling is just one way to dehydrate the puck. For instance, Martin de Candre "ages" their soaps prior to sale, and their soaps are at least as hard as any triple milled soap I've come across.
Your right about MDC being aged and it is a great product I use it often, but it is not nearly as hard as 3X milled. But it is a great soap, no chemicals and very rich and protective

Your right about MDC being aged and it is a great product I use it often, but it is not nearly as hard as 3X milled. But it is a great soap, no chemicals and very rich and protective

I admit that I don't have as much experience as some with triple milled soaps, but I've tried a few and MDC is at least as hard as any of them. It's tough to make a dent in the puck.

Top Bottom