What's new

Trip Report! Merchant and Rhoades, Chicago

I had a professional barbershop shave today at Merchant & Rhoades in Chicago.

The shop is smaller than I expected, but very clean and beautifully decorated. It's a high-end and old-fashioned barbershop. Ornate chairs, lots of wood in the stalls, barbers in white coats, and so on.

The product area in front was stocked with a wide variety of men's grooming products (soaps, shampoos, pomades, but especially a lot of shaving products, including many razors and brushes). They are beautifully displayed and the front clerk was helpful and friendly.

I checked in for my appointment (11:30am on a Friday). All the stations we occupied, but the place did not feel crowded. I was leaving town, and the clerk offered to store my suitcase.

The barber came to get me right on time for my shave. As I was getting settled, someone came to ask if I'd like my shoes shined. He removed my shoes to take them to his shine station and put a brand-new pair of spa slippers on my feet.

The shave experience was very relaxing, much like a spa treatment. The barber chair was fully reclined. The prep involved several hot towel wraps with a pre-shave balm applied in between. The barber applied hot shaving foam and used a straight-edge razor. She made multiple passes going with, across, and against the grain. She used short, deliberate, confident strokes. Post-shave was more hot towel wraps, followed by a couple of cold towel wraps. She also used an electric clipper to trim my nose hair, which was quite unexpected. Finally, she spent a couple of minutes massaging my entire face with a generous amount of a post-shave moisturizing balm.

By then, the shoe shine man came back to put my shoes back on with a beautiful shoe horn. Perhaps most unexpected, the whole process ended with a fairly rugged shoulder massage administered with what I think of as an old-fashioned hand massager strapped to the barber's hand (Something like this). Once I got over my initial surprise, it actually felt quite good.

The whole appointment took precisely 30 min and was quite enjoyable. I would say the quality of the shave was excellent, with the exception of a couple of the trickier spots on my beard, which were not as close as I can shave them at home.

Overall, a very enjoyable experience which I would recommend as a nice way to relax and treat yourself.

That sounds fantastic.

Any chance they put some menthol under your nose during one of the towel wraps and had you inhale deeply? I had that done once during a shave and it really cleared out the sinuses.

Wow, that's something! Checking out the price list at their website, it certainly looks like a once-in-a-lifetime treat.
But hey, you only live once eh?
I've always dreamed of getting one of these and paying attention to how it's done for use at home...but I'd likely zone out and forget to, y'know, pay attention.
Sounds like fun nonetheless.

That sounds fantastic.

Any chance they put some menthol under your nose during one of the towel wraps and had you inhale deeply? I had that done once during a shave and it really cleared out the sinuses.

It was pretty great. They didn't do the menthol thing you mention, though that sounds amazing.

Wow, that's something! Checking out the price list at their website, it certainly looks like a once-in-a-lifetime treat.
But hey, you only live once eh?
I've always dreamed of getting one of these and paying attention to how it's done for use at home...but I'd likely zone out and forget to, y'know, pay attention.
Sounds like fun nonetheless.

I know what you mean. I was tempted to scrutinize everything, but decided to just relax and enjoy. Glad I did.

WOW! Sounds like heaven! Thanks for sharing (and hope your trip went well).

Thanks. Trip went well. I'm headed to Washington, DC this week, and have some shops on my list, but unfortunately I won't have time to visit any this time. Next trip will be Vancouver, BC. Anyone know a good place to get a shave there? I don't have a list for Vancouver.

Love it when you get a unexpected treat like that.
I too have a trip planned to Vancouver next week. Looking for a shave and supplies if anyone has knowledge. Thanks!

Top Bottom