What's new

A $2 Shave in Vietnam

While in Phu Quoc, Vietnam earlier this week, I walked by a salon and saw the word "shave" advertised in English. I asked how much a shave would cost. The young woman held up five fingers, indicating that it would be 50,000 VND ($2.13 USD). I had 1.5-days of growth, and was feeling brave, so I went for it.

I sat in a barber chair, and the woman poured water in a glass cup, let it sit for about 30 seconds, and then tossed the water out into the street (there was no front to the shop). She then poured a tiny bit of water back into the glass, and stirred up a little foam with a cosmetic/make-up brush. Using the brush, she "painted" my face with it. She then grabbed a straight razor with a removable SE blade, and made a one-pass shave, (mostly WTG). The shave was followed by a warm, wet towel, which she used to wipe my face down. I looked in the mirror and saw no nicks, scrapes or cuts. I was impressed at how quickly she finished the shave. I felt my face, and would describe it as similar to a 1-2 pass shave with a Merkur 34C. Not bad. I tipped well, and we both were happy. I looked into the glass & saw whiskers from who knows how many customers, and the razor sitting on the shelf ready for the next customer (I opened it a little for the photo, to reveal the blade). Not the most hygienic experience, but it was an experience! It helped me realized that we don't really need fancy shaving equipment to get a decent shave.

Vietnam was great. Hot & sticky, but the people were wonderful and (most of) the food was excellent. As I was leaving Vietnam, I was impressed with just how massive Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) is (nearly 9 million) as it seemed to extend to the horizon in all directions. It was overall a great experience, but the airline meal of steamed rice cake with "pork floss" wasn't quite as appetizing as I'd hoped.

1680300203637.png

1680300230006.png

1680300252544.png

In nearly every video I've watched of a barber shave it is a one-pass WTG shave with touch-up. A socially acceptable shave.

When I watch Barber T on youtoob, he ALWAYS replaces the blade. You don't say whether or not your "barber" used a new blade for your shave but, if not, that would be a deal-breaker for me.

I'm not a germaphobe by any stretch, but blood borne pathogens are a real thing.

In nearly every video I've watched of a barber shave it is a one-pass WTG shave with touch-up. A socially acceptable shave.

When I watch Barber T on youtoob, he ALWAYS replaces the blade. You don't say whether or not your "barber" used a new blade for your shave but, if not, that would be a deal-breaker for me.

I'm not a germaphobe by any stretch, but blood borne pathogens are a real thing.
My thinking as well, you can get some really deadly microbes from a blade that's been used on 10 guys you can't trace and " sterilized " in tap water...... wonder if she uses Arko ?

Barbers must use only 1 blade each customer for hygiene reasons. That’s what Barber razor is for, previous guy might have some kind of diseases or what not.The blade have been used for 10 times would give crappy shave.

Similar thinking to those above that a fresh blade is mandatory. Have seen videos of street barber shaves in India where the first step is to make sure that a fresh blade is placed in the shavette.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Similar thinking to those above that a fresh blade is mandatory. Have seen videos of street barber shaves in India where the first step is to make sure that a fresh blade is placed in the shavette.
In most places it is not mandatory but recommended. What offen is mandatory is that a used blade be disinfected between uses. Most barbers now don't know how or couldn't be bothered to hone a razor. They would rather just replace.

but the airline meal of steamed rice cake with "pork floss" wasn't quite as appetizing as I'd hoped.
Excellent photos and report!

Expound on the meal Brother @Feldgrun !

What is this pork floss? What was VietJet's traveller experience to you? Good or so-so?

Vietnam has always sounded a fascinating country, as does the entire Pacific world to me.

Excellent photos and report!

Expound on the meal Brother @Feldgrun !

What is this pork floss? What was VietJet's traveller experience to you? Good or so-so?

Vietnam has always sounded a fascinating country, as does the entire Pacific world to me.

VietJet was fine. Better than most budget airlines I’ve flown on.

I was at the back of the plane, so only spaghetti or rice cake & pork floss was the only thing left for dinner. I tried the rice cake - not great. Chewy and bland. Pork floss was a small plastic bag of really thin, dry & hard micro pork jerky.

I’m not much for strange (to me) seafood. Octopus, squid & dried or salted fish - no thanks. I loved the pho & garlic chicken dishes. The rice is mediocre compared to Japan, but unlike Japan, there’s more flavor & spices.

About Vietnam, I made a list:

Things that I like:
  • Natural beauty
  • Friendly people
  • Delicious food
  • Everything is so cheap!
Things that I don’t like:
  • Hot & sweaty
  • Intestinal issues
  • Blood sucking insects
  • A bit dirty & trashy
Overall it was great, but next I’ll try Philippines, Thailand & maybe Malaysia and Indonesia.

Attachments

• D6005761-E2C3-40BD-967F-E4D12D3C0BDA.jpeg
    D6005761-E2C3-40BD-967F-E4D12D3C0BDA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 51EFF085-D170-46BC-A155-1E04EC9F4016.jpeg
    51EFF085-D170-46BC-A155-1E04EC9F4016.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 75F340C8-9BDF-4641-8CB4-E9528EE6C422.jpeg
    75F340C8-9BDF-4641-8CB4-E9528EE6C422.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Well I had two chance to visit Vietnam. One was December 1965. Training accident cancelled trip.

Five years ago a group of Marines asked if I wanted to join them on trip to Vietnam. They want to see how country change post war. Should have gone. But did not feel right as it was not where I served.

Top Bottom