What's new

Tried a straight again

And it wasn't half bad!

Actually, I got decent results yesterday. A passable shave for sure.

I shaved with it on Saturday, two passes, clean up with a DE. Seemed a bit rough after the shave (irritated, not stubbly).

Went at it again yesterday, two passes with only the straight, not too rough on the skin, and it actually looked like I had shaved.

I will definitely be giving this straight thing another shot!

it will take a while to get better shaves with a straigh than a de, because the technique takes some getting used to - but when you get it, you wont want to pick up another DE again

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 to Dunny...

I'm still picking up me DE but I will move to straights exclusively pretty soon...

Straights have a longer/steeper learning curve, but once you get there the shaves are insanely good. Welcome to a whole new set of AD's!

Tried again this morning, went better still.

Actually did an XTG/ATG pass, no irritation, and only a couple of nicks/weepers.

I'm thinking this may end up being the way to go for me. Normally I have a spot of irritation on one area on my neck, today it is shaved closer, with no irritation...

Now I just need to refine my technique around my mouth. Especially the mustache and chin areas.

Thanks for all the support!

Now I just need to refine my technique around my mouth. Especially the mustache and chin areas.

Those are my toughest areas. I have several straights and not all are equally sharp. The sharper ones definitely make easier work of those areas.

My technique, even with the sharpest blades, is hold the blade flat against the skin, or the equivalent around the bottom curve of the chin, small motions, slicing action, multiple ATG passes. By holding the blade as flat as possible the multiple passes don't cause any razor burn. Stretching the skin both by making "funny" faces and pulling with the other hand is important. The small motions are important because you can really only stretch small parts of these areas properly at one time.

In other words every trick in the book!

One other "trick": I get both the slicing action and small motion by moving the blade in small circular motions (arcs). This prevents the blade from slipping past where you are prepared for it to go and, for example, slicing into a lower lip or nose.

Shaved with my DE this morning...and found it strangely unsatisfying.:eek:

I guess I'm hooked, and will need to get up 10 minutes earlier tomorrow for a "proper" shave.:biggrin:

Shaved with my DE this morning...and found it strangely unsatisfying.:eek:

I guess I'm hooked, and will need to get up 10 minutes earlier tomorrow for a "proper" shave.:biggrin:

Now you've gone and done it!

You're a gonner, my friend!:w00t:

Welcome aboard!!!!:lol:

That's a crucial point. You know you're hooked when you first try a DE after a few consecutive straight shaves.
It just doesn't feel as cool anymore.

L

Lo'Tek

Put down your DE and surrender. We will assimilate you. There is no escape. Resistance IS Futile.

Top Bottom