What's new

Tradere Is Back

I have the steel Ikon SBS head, and I can't help but notice the similarities between that and the Tradere. Did Ikon rip off the design, or is it just different enough to be "inspired by"?

I have the steel Ikon SBS head, and I can't help but notice the similarities between that and the Tradere. Did Ikon rip off the design, or is it just different enough to be "inspired by"?

Except for the reversible base plate they are identical. Ikon also stopped making the SBS due to potential patent infringement so I’ll let you piece those together.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Except for the reversible base plate they are identical. Ikon also stopped making the SBS due to potential patent infringement so I’ll let you piece those together.
Wasn't the patent infringement potential with a different razor manufacturer that actually was made after the Ikon

Wasn't the patent infringement potential with a different razor manufacturer that actually was made after the Ikon

No clue. But the SBS and Tradere parts are identical down to tool markings. So it would have certainly violated the Tradere patent as well. To be fair, I think the SBS came after the Tradere left the market so I actually don’t really see this as underhanded or anything.

Important to note here that Richard was completely unaware of this when I asked about it. Because the parts are so identical, there was some speculation that the SBS was machined by the same machinist, but I confirmed with the Tradere machinist that this wasn’t the case.

Last edited:
I had come to this same conclusion based on some detailed photographs posted on another forum comparing the two razors side-by-side. Tool marks identical.

However, the presence of the reversible baseplate and the fact that the SBS was made of brass were not insignificant factors in the way the razor shaved/shaves, IMO.

In fact, at one point in time I actually contacted James at Wolfman to ask him if he would be willing to alter the baseplate of the brass SBS to make it NOT reversible; to shave off a bunch of the mass of the baseplate. My contention is that the SBS would be a really great razor if the baseplate WEREN'T reversible. I don't know anybody who actually could feel/sense the difference with the baseplate flipped, because the difference was so subtle. But at the same time, it added a LOT of mass to the razor head, which I didn't really like. I think the SBS's main flaw is that it is too heavy.

Now the new SBS (which is some kind of aluminum or aluminum alloy, not steel, by the way) is a completely different beast. The design, I would say, is certainly INSPIRED by the Tradere and the original SBS, but it has enormous differences. Oh, and flipping the baseplate on this version of the SBS actually does make a discernable difference in the shave quality. Personally, I don't think the newer SBS holds a candle to the original brass SBS.

All DE razors look similar to each other. Then you go beyond looks into functionality, material used and finish work. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

I believe it had something to do with flipped base plates.

Yea the other possibility is violating the Rockwell patent with the base plate. However, since Rockwell’s patent is still active and the SBS still has a flippable plate I think it’s less likely. But this is all speculation.

All DE razors look similar to each other. Then you go beyond looks into functionality, material used and finish work. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

I think you should hold a Tradere and an original SBS in your hands at the same time. You can also bring out a set of calipers. You’ll see this goes beyond “the eye of the beholder”.

It's also interesting that I compared the brass iKon SBS favorably with the Tradere (although I remember that I have always wished the SBS were lighter).

I nearly got one of those SBS head at connaught for 20 pounds ex vat.
Then I read a review somewhere....not sure what it said exactly but remember
it putting me off. I sure hope the Tradere is way, way better.

I nearly got one of those SBS head at connaught for 20 pounds ex vat.
Then I read a review somewhere....not sure what it said exactly but remember
it putting me off. I sure hope the Tradere is way, way better.
If you are talking about the original solid brass SBS, 20 British pounds would be an absolute STEAL. These razors sold for over $200 new and the value went up thereafter, given that very few were actually made.

The original SBS heads had no serial numbers. To my knowledge, nobody actually knows exactly how many were made and sold. Greg was asked the question many times but has not answered it. I suspect that the number was likely less than 500 worldwide, but it is at best an educated guess.

@kingfisher

Since you said you never shaved with the Tradere 1st Gen OC and you sent me your original Ikon SBS so I’ll do a quick comparison Shave Off using both side by side either in this thread or in my Shave Off thread and post my thoughts on the two. Just have to wait a day or 2 for the beard to grow out after this mornings shave where I used the Vector for the first time.
I'm looking forward to this.

I suspect the Tradere will be more aggressive, since I believe the open comb side of the SBS was likely modeled after the Gen 2 Tradere rather than the Gen 1, although I don't know that for certain.
Still should make for an interesting comparison. Thanks.

Thoughts on how the Tradere compares to the Blackbird?

Just received a BB SB and the shaves are quite, quite good. What reason would I have to upgrade to the Tradere? Other than the great looks.

Just received a BB SB and the shaves are quite, quite good. What reason would I have to upgrade to the Tradere? Other than the great looks.

None. If you aren’t a collector and you’ve found the perfect razor for you then you’ve already won.

The BB has more blade feel and the design is obvious different from that of the Tradere. Most of us on B&B don't really need a "reason" to buy another razor, lol.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the non-brass SBS is injection molded stainless steel like the Supply and Rockwell razors. It weighs like 8 times more than any of my aluminum heads. It's a boat anchor. Maybe the heaviest razor head I've ever owned.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the non-brass SBS is injection molded stainless steel like the Supply and Rockwell razors. It weighs like 8 times more than any of my aluminum heads. It's a boat anchor. Maybe the heaviest razor head I've ever owned.
I agree that it's ridiculously heavy, but Greg said it was made of the same material that the Shavecraft 101 is made from, which has been said to be aluminum or some type of aluminum alloy. There have been several relatively long threads about the head material on all these iKon heads starting with the Shavecraft 101. To my knowledge, nobody has come to the conclusion that these are stainless steel. Additionally, if they were, in fact, stainless steel, don't you think iKon would have used that as a selling point?

The threads on the Shavecraft heads are also quite easily perturbed, which also suggests aluminum or an aluminum alloy.

Top Bottom