What's new

Tradere Is Back

Watching the FB live feed with Shane now and asked him directly about price point....he said they're still figuring it out but it'll be premium lol...said he'd 'try to keep it reasonable'.

Also said it'll be regular production, just under Razors on his menu, not a separate thing or company. Said he'd keep making them as long as people buy them.

Serial numbers for each razor, starting at 2000, OG guy doesn't know exactly when the original numbers stopped.

No separate parts......have to buy the entire razor, said he might change that in the future, but doesn't think so.

All polished, no mismatched parts (matte handle and polished head is a no go)

I wonder what the point was of numbering the razors if it wasn’t being kept track of?

It’s more for the customer than for the business. It’s also possible that Richard kept track back in 2012-2014, but doesn’t have that information now. A lot of his records have understandably disappeared over time. He now has a guess as to what the final serial number is, but he’s not positive. Honestly though, I’d probably start at 2000 anyway. I think that gap signals that this is something new and fresh. I wouldn’t want to begin with #1163 (or whatever the number is) and even #1200 seems like a lame place to start.

Watching the FB live feed with Shane now and asked him directly about price point....he said they're still figuring it out but it'll be premium lol...said he'd 'try to keep it reasonable'.

Also said it'll be regular production, just under Razors on his menu, not a separate thing or company. Said he'd keep making them as long as people buy them.

Serial numbers for each razor, starting at 2000, OG guy doesn't know exactly when the original numbers stopped.

No separate parts......have to buy the entire razor, said he might change that in the future, but doesn't think so.

Thanks for reporting back.
Man that razor sounds like it's gonna
Be a real "CLASS ACT".

I'm really looking forward to this! I've always heard of the Tradere but got into wet shaving too late for them, so definitely interested.

Sounds like you're pretty set on the numbering starting at 2000. One option would be starting at 19000 to signify 2019, next year could be the 20000s, etc... If you use a higher number you could order the OCs and SBs separately, i.e. OCs are 19001, 19002, etc. then SBs 19500, 19501, etc.

It was almost a given that this would be premium pricing. Or else, why bother?
My guess is price will be somewhere between the RS-10 and Wolfman's most basic finishes.
One thing is for sure, I don't think this will be a blind buy for me...because I doubt a razor made
in the several hundreds will retain its value the way the earlier versions do. Some guy (who Im pretty
certain is a member here, going by his ebayID) is trying to cash out both his Traderes for about $2,100
before the rarity factor of these razors evaporates.

I'll watch and read a lot of reviews before dipping my toes in but no reason why this shouldn't
be a milestone release.

My SB and the OC 2nd gen Combs. Will pull my 1st Gen OC tomorrow. I had a wonderful shave with the 2nd OC yesterday.
AE6729EB-F776-4098-A09E-B6F750C3ED2F.jpeg
43929D33-00C2-4E51-ABAE-22A0C371CB30.jpeg
4962D276-C747-43A7-8362-82685734C47E.jpeg

I guess that gives me an idea how much is the price. Thanks for sharing

Correction: I saw his video and it appears that while the original
product drawings are no longer around, the heads are reverse engineered
from the original so 100% identical in terms of the gaps, geometry etc.

So reading old reviews will probably suffice.

I hope you're not implying that the ones Blackland will be putting out are fakes.
The way I see it, you simply have an earlier version.
That’s quite a leap in reasoning. I’m merely asking how would one distinguish an “original” Tradere from a Blackland Tradere. Some people may want an original Tradere some may want the new Tradere. Just like some people want an original Darwin while others want the new Darwin from Bullgoose. Nevertheless, some unscrupulous person may attempt to sell a new version and state that it’s an original if both versions are identical.

That’s quite a leap in reasoning. I’m merely asking how would one distinguish an “original” Tradere from a Blackland Tradere. Some people may want an original Tradere some may want the new Tradere. Just like some people want an original Darwin while others want the new Darwin from Bullgoose. Nevertheless, some unscrupulous person may attempt to sell a new version and state that it’s an original if both versions are identical.
Shane said it will say Blackland on the baseplate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

...some unscrupulous person may attempt to sell a new version and state that it’s an original if both versions are identical.

no chance...the new version has both tradere and backland stamped on it with a serial no that
starts from #2000...

Had to come back to this thread to add some philosophical thoughts.

I find it fascinating how memories morph over time. In the medical field, I see it all the time. For example, I'll be asked to see a child who has had various symptoms for several months. During that time, he/she has been seen by multiple providers on multiple occasions. The notes from all those encounters are in the medical record, so I can read them.

Then I meet the family and take a history. It's remarkable how the story they tell me differs from the story the medical record tells. In that situation, I always trust the record more than the history taken at the bedside, because memories are more accurate the less time has passed since the events in question. It's one of the reasons that I keep a journal.

Anyway, what does this have to do with shaving, or with the Tradere, you ask? Well, my recollection is that the Tradere was one of the best razors I ever had, and that I enjoyed shaving with the Tradere as much or more than with any other DE razor I ever had in my stable.

But last night I took the opportunity to search old threads about the Tradere razor, and I found a couple of posts that I made back at the time that I actually had the Tradere in my hot hands and was actually using it, and, as you may have guessed by now, my recollection of that distant time has drifted from the reality. So, without further adieu, here is what I had to say about the Tradere when the memory of it was fresh:

Update after three straight days of using my Tradere on a UFO Titan Fine L handle......

Amazingly smooth, but there are two areas that cause problems with the Tradere that I can handle just fine with a NEW. The first is the sideburns. I recently had a haircut and had them taken up pretty high. I'm really thin (6'3", 163 lbs) so there are some angles on my face. The sideburns are up above the cheekbones now. So when I shave starting there, I have to start at one angle and then change it within about a half-inch going down. It's really hard to find the initial angle with the Tradere; as a result I have had little weepers right under the sideburns for the past two days.

The other place that's a problem is the philtrum (just under the center of the nose down to the top lip). I like to start that area with a steep angle and then move it to shallow as I go down. Works just fine with a NEW, but not with the Tradere. The gap is so huge that any kind of steep angle is essentially just sticking a blade into your skin. So it's really easy to get a little bite right under the nose, probably due to the muscle memory I have built up using milder razors in this area over the years.

The remainder of the face/neck hasn't been a problem. Mows down anything and everything in its way. The place on my lateral chin where the growth is the densest causes problems for many razors, but the Tradere goes through it like there's nothing there.

Overall, an amazing razor. If I were to keep using it for a lot of my shaves, I'd have to make adjustments to the sideburn area and to the philtrum area. Tomorrow I will go back to the NEW Deluxe just for comparison's sake.

I recently acquired an iKon SBS, which, if you're not familiar with it, is an all brass razor put out by iKon as a prototype. It looks very much like a Tradere, except that it is SB on one side and OC on the other. I bought the SBS because I never had the opportunity of trying the Tradere OC, and I thought maybe the SBS would be a reasonable facsimile. The SBS also has a reversible baseplate; if you use it with the letters "SBS" showing on the bottom, it is supposed to be slightly milder than if you use it with "iKon" showing.

So, I've been shaving with the SBS every day (except when I was on vacation last week). This week, I used the SBS on Monday with SBS on the bottom, then used the Tradere on Tuesday, then used the SBS this morning with iKon showing.

It's interesting. The SBS is heavier, being brass, so the balance is different, but it shaves very similarly to the Tradere. It's not QUITE as smooth, but it tends to shave slightly closer. I really liked it this morning with the word iKon showing. The OC side and the SB side shave very similarly; I'm not sure it really adds anything to this particular design to have the open comb.

The Tradere looks better, and feels smoother. Overall it just seems more sophisticated. But I think the SBS is at least its equal in terms of the shave, and maybe even slightly better.

I enjoy both of these razors a great deal. Now I have to decide whether to get my SBS plated (it's brass, so it's highly reactive and I have to keep it completely dry).

It's clear that I liked the razor, but the superlatives that fill my mind right now in my memory clearly were a little more toned down when I actually had the razor in my hand. It's also interesting that I compared the brass iKon SBS favorably with the Tradere (although I remember that I have always wished the SBS were lighter).

I also found another member saying that he was trying to decide whether the Tradere shaved better than his iKon S3S, which has a similar design (although I think it was patterned after the Pils rather than the Tradere). I currently own an S3S, and I really enjoy it.

Not saying that I'm not going to purchase the new Tradere. Just saying that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" is certainly true of me and the Tradere!

Top Bottom