What's new

8 years down the drain? Attempt at tallest matchstick Eiffel Tower tossed over match type. :-(

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
1707532230672.jpeg
Matchstick sculptors? I'll never be more amazed. :a47:

Story by Anthony Robledo - USA TODAY - 9 Feb 24

🇫🇷 "A French man reached for the sky trying to build the tallest matchstick sculpture, but world record officials may have caused his dream to shatter to pieces.

Richard Plaud said he spent eight years crafting a 23.6-foot model of the Eiffel Tower using 706,900 matchsticks and over 50

pounds of glue.
proxy.php

However, the Guinness Book of World Records said he used the wrong type of matchsticks, disqualifying Plaud from beating the standing record. :a36:

proxy.php

Model-maker Richard Plaud, 47, alongside his matchstick Eiffel Tower

Plaud, a council worker for a local authority, said Guinness told him that because the matchsticks were not commercially available and not recognized as matchsticks, his attempt would be disqualified. He added that the organization said the

matches can not be cut, disassembled or distorted beyond recognition.
proxy.php

"The Guinness Book judges have delivered their verdict, without actually seeing my turn," Plaud wrote in French on his a Facebook page. "BIG DISILLUSION, DISAPPOINTMENT AND INCOMPREHENSION😟🥺.

Tell me that the 706,900 rods stuck one by one are not matches!!?? And they are too cut to the point of being unrecognizable!!??"

The current record holder is Toufic Daher, from Lebanon, who made a matchstick Eiffel Tower that reached 21.4 feet tall in 2009 with 6 million matches. Plaud's replica is about two feet higher".

Read More: Matchstick Sculptor - 8yrs down the drain

1575244409836-png.1039851
"[Matchstick] sculpture is like archaeology: You dig in and you [may] find something". Georg Baselitz

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I never knew Guinness got to qualify what is applicable or not to such a ridiculous degree. Must only a certain glue be used, too? Jerks.

It may not have the most matches. But it's the highest.

Form over substance. Give the man the record.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Good call. The existing previous record holder has match sticks without the Sulphur as well, but the builder was the one to remove it. There doesn't appear to be anything in the rules that state that the builder must be the one to remove the sulphur or if it can be removed by others, or never applied in the first place.
It's a "match stick" sculpture, not a "wooden match sculpture".

Top Bottom