What's new

Tour de France

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Two bad crashes yesterday- the one caused by the idiot fan and the other a collision within the peloton. Getting ready to sit down and catch up with today's race.

Seems there will always be some idiots thinking they're doing the right thing, and justifying it afterward believing it was just the 'wrong time.' I hope the civil authorities drop the rock on this person, the cost in human flesh and treasure is Huge! ...and that's before considering the broken hearts of those who dream the dream. (Like the F1 drivers: "We race as One!")
I wonder if they will ever fence off the course, if only in certain areas of large gatherings.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Nasty “Off“ in the race that appeared on the news. Someone in the crowd holding a sign up merged with the pack, next was mayhem with bikes and bodies everywhere.
View attachment 1288088
Lefonque:
tour-png.806685
Tragic start to the tour, on me thinks that the tour & police should find a way 'push' back spectators / fans from the road so these types of crashes are minimized.
just-my-2-cents-gif.793284

"Tour de France Vows to Sue Spectator Who Caused Massive Crash With Sign".

By Daniel Politi - SLATE - 27 Jun 21

"The Tour de France will be filing a lawsuit against the spectator who caused a massive pileup when she stepped onto the road in the first stage of the race on Saturday. The woman was apparently eager for the TV cameras to capture her holding a large sign with the words “ALLEZ OPI-OMI,” a mixture of French and German that translates to “come on grandpa-grandma!” so she stepped onto the road and didn’t realize the peloton was fast approaching. German cyclist Tony Martin hit the spectator’s sign and went tumbling to the ground, causing a chain reaction that led many others to fall off their bicycles. It was the first of two crashes in that leg of the race.

One rider, Jasha Sütterlin, was injured and had to pull out of the race. Several others were hurt, including spectators. Among the ones that were hurt were Italy’s Sonny Colbrelli and Dutch rider Wout van Aert, both of whom looked as favorites to win the first leg of the race but suffered delays after they fell over. The rider who eventually won, Julian Alaphilippe, did so with blood dripping from his knee. “I hope everyone is OK. I’m calling on the fans to be careful. It’s nice to see the fans back on the side of the road, but please be careful,” Alaphilippe said.

If Tour de France is going to sue the spectator though officials will first have to find her. As of Sunday, police in France were still looking for the spectator who fled the scene after the crash.

1624827356810.png

Team B&B KTM’s Bryan Coquard of France (R) and a Team Alpecin Fenix’ rider lie on the ground after crashing during the 1st stage of the 108th edition of the Tour de France cycling race, 197 km between Brest and Landerneau, on June 26, 2021.

The Tour de France says the woman will face consequences for her actions. “We are suing this woman who behaved so badly,” Pierre-Yves Thouault, the organization’s deputy director, told AFP. “We are doing this so that the tiny minority of people who do this don’t spoil the show for everyone,” he said.

Works Cited: Tour de France to sue spectator that caused crash w/sign

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
"[The Tour] begins [and ends] with a single pedal stroke". Scott Stoll

Owen Bawn

I for one am surprised this doesn't happen more often. Wait till they're climbing the Alps on these narrow roads and the crowd barely parts to let the riders through with inches to spare on either side. It is incredibly dangerous.

Legion

Staff member
I didn’t understand what was on that sign that caused the crash. But to be fair... it did get seen by a lot of people...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was curious what the sign said ... it must have been important to cause that devastating mess.

It's ... o_O

"... The woman was apparently eager for the TV cameras to capture her holding a large sign with the words “ALLEZ OPI-OMI,” a mixture of French and German that translates to “come on grandpa-grandma!” ..."

AA

Today I’d like to tip my hat to the voice of the Tour de France, Phil Liggett.
36382436-3DAC-4E18-9033-ED8A91E4FD45.jpeg

He is a part of Tour history as much as, and if not more than, any rider has been. So glad he has not decided to retire yet!! He has been a solid presence for decades and a fantastic commentator/journalist.

Owen Bawn

Phil Liggett adds so much to the broadcast. A 5 hour stage could be awful television in the hands of a lesser man. Phil knows cycling, he knows history, and he knows France. I shudder to think of the Tour without him.

It’s a good thing the supertuck was banned. Always have to think of rider safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cavendish was awesome in Stage 4. Amazing how fast he accelerates. I think he now has 31 stage victories which is phenomenal.

The crashes have potentially taken out two of the best riders for the overall win. Will have to see what Tadej Pogacar and Primos Roglic can do to get back in the GC contention.

When Irish Eyes are Smiling...
B50C10B8-28A4-4177-BE38-6FC01DE4AB2B.jpeg

In 1987 Stephen Roche won the triple crown: Tour de France,
Giro d’Italia, and the World Road Race Championship. Along with his compatriot Sean Kelly, it was a time when the Irish dominated the peloton.

Owen Bawn

When Irish Eyes are Smiling...
View attachment 1289546
In 1987 Stephen Roche won the triple crown: Tour de France,
Giro d’Italia, and the World Road Race Championship. Along with his compatriot Sean Kelly, it was a time when the Irish dominated the peloton.
These were the years when I first paid attention to the Tour- Roche, Kelly, LeMond, Fignon, Delgado, Indurain... will always be legendary names to me, as they were the first cyclists I knew. There was another Irishman who won a stage or two during those years as well. Martin Earley.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
These were the years when I first paid attention to the Tour- Roche, Kelly, LeMond, Fignon, Delgado, Indurain... will always be legendary names to me, as they were the first cyclists I knew. There was another Irishman who won a stage or two during those years as well. Martin Earley.
A friend from Dublin said there was a 3 day party in the city when Roche won.

strop

Now half as wise
My much younger brother rode competitively on the local St Louis amateur cyclocross circuit many years ago and still is an avid cyclist. I no longer ride a road bike, but got hooked on the Tour many years ago and have watched every stage of every race for over 20 years. Thank goodness for DVR!

Thus years race has been hesartbreaking. So many who essentially lost on the first day. And I agree that it is a miracle that fan induced crashes don't happen more often, especially in the mountains It will be interesting to see what Cavendish will be able to do in the rest of the race.

If Tour de France is going to sue the spectator though officials will first have to find her. As of Sunday, police in France were still looking for the spectator who fled the scene after the crash.
Seems like they arrested the person who held the sign.

Top Bottom