What's new

Top of the line DE razors.

I'm going to hang around a bit and wait for Charcoal Goods to do a stainless head/handle before I dip my foot in that water. For me Timeless, Wolfman, Blackbird and Above The Tie are the creme de la creme of DEs. I would say you can't go wrong with any of those.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I so very much regret selling my BBS-1 and Wolfman. I bought them when they were under still untested companies, and made about $5 on the bay, net.

:(

I don't know why he discontinued the head but I really like my Weber PH with a Classic Handle.
For Vintage It's my Gillette Fatboy, Slim or Super Adjustable that I've shave with for many years

I've got Wolfman, ATT and Charcoal Goods, among many others. These three are the most refined among my herd. If I had to pick one, for both shave quality and workmanship combined, I'd pick the Charcoal. For pure workmanship, it's tough to match the Wolfman.
I would add Timeless to that group

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I would add Timeless to that group

I suspect if I owned a Timeless, it would round out my group. It's my next acquisition: the .95 open comb version. As I'm on the 2017 sabbatical, and have committed to the Timeless as my only shaving purchase of the year, I'm still deciding when I'm going to buy it. I'm in withdrawal, but it's still manageable. I'd guess I'll plunk down the bucks in the late summer or early fall...

I suspect if I owned a Timeless, it would round out my group. It's my next acquisition: the .95 open comb version. As I'm on the 2017 sabbatical, and have committed to the Timeless as my only shaving purchase of the year, I'm still deciding when I'm going to buy it. I'm in withdrawal, but it's still manageable. I'd guess I'll plunk down the bucks in the late summer or early fall...
You won't be disappointed that's for sure and your decision of the .95 open comb is what I would choose as well and I am not an open comb fan,, the Timeless has turned out to be my favorite shaver but of course I love the other ones you mentioned

To me, "top of the line" suggests maybe 3 random factors. Moderately expensive. Unique appearance. Aggressive, comfortable, and close shaving for my tough whiskers.

So many razors are worthy candidates. Hmmm. But if forced to name one, today it would be . . .um . . . The Gillette New Improved razor from the 1920's, that was triple plated silver and cost $5 in 1921 ($73 dollars in 2017 money).

Last edited:
Well, if you are taking top-of-the-line shave and somewhat pricey I would say the Rockwell 6s. I just got one and got the best shave of my life. I didn't see it listed but did see a lot of others that were much more expensive. Maybe this is not in the same category.

I'm looking for a wolfman currently and no luck :(

I have a futur, an asd2, and a timeless oc 68

This thread helps out a lot looking for expensive razors! I know I wasn't clear on what I was looking for but it helped

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Personally, I don't see the need to go looking for expensive razors, when you can get lots of great ones for under $35.

I guess it's just me. I also think that vehicles like Lexus, Absurdity(Infiniti) and BMW are mostly pointless. I want a car that does what I need. Holds stuff, gets me from point A to point B without a lot of hassle, and good gas mileage. I'm not going to run a 0-60 in 6.7 seconds. The one I just picked up used has a moon roof. I'd have preferred to NOT have the thing, as it's just one more set of holes to leak :)

So many razors are worthy candidates. Hmmm. But if forced to name one, today it would be . . .um . . . The Gillette New Improved razor from the 1920's, that was triple plated silver and cost $5 in 1921 ($73 dollars in 2017 money).

I'm in partial agreement here. My '22 Silver Plated New Improved Tuckaway is probably my best razor where aesthetics are concerned. The plating is flawless, and the curves of the cap and teeth are, at least to me, reminiscent of a classic auto. ...and it's a damn good shaver too. Definitely built during a time when looks were just as important as functionality.

I'd have to say my best performing razor is a '46/'47 Aristocrat. It's the perfect combination of close shave without being too aggressive. The TTO mechanism is nice and tight - no play in the knob while still opening/closing easily. It doesn't look half bad either!

The best part was that I got both of these for less than $15 each.

The "top of the line" to me means the razor that performs the best and looks great. And in my opinion there is no razor that performs as well as an English made Gillette. It matters not about which model you choose, they just shave better than the US made versions. But as in all things shaving YMMV!
:kyle1:

The AS-D2 is a top of the line razor with regards to engineering design, workmanship and materials. And its kind of up there price-wise too. However, I think one can get as good of a shave with a nice vintage Tech. I have especially been enjoying my British Flat Bottom Techs lately. And you could potentially buy 4 or 5 of them for the cost of an AS-D2. You might be able to get 10 vintage USA made Techs for that price if you shop around. As always its a matter of personal preference.

Would the Razor below be considered a British Flat Bottom Tech? If so, maybe I'll pick one up.

1972 (S4) Tech England.JPG

They both seem to have flat bottoms, except your picture shows a flat bottom that is raised in the center....whereas my picture has a bottom that is flat all the way across. Is your picture showing what is considered a "Raised Flat Bottom"? Are they the desirable ones?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
They both seem to have flat bottoms, except your picture shows a flat bottom that is raised in the center....whereas my picture has a bottom that is flat all the way across. Is your picture showing what is considered a "Raised Flat Bottom"? Are they the desirable ones?

Your photo shows a standard Tech base plate. It is not flat on the bottom. There is a pronounced bump. The photo I showed has no bump. It is completely flat. It is not raised. Hope that helps. Look at the base plates.

Your photo shows a standard Tech base plate. It is not flat on the bottom. There is a pronounced bump. The photo I showed has no bump. It is completely flat. It is not raised. Hope that helps. Look at the base plates.
Thanks Brad. I was looking at the Top of the base plate, but I now see what you mean. I should have been looking at the underpart of the base plate.

Personally, I don't see the need to go looking for expensive razors, when you can get lots of great ones for under $35.

I agree that inexpensive razors can provide great shaves, just as expensive ones can. My Schick E2 injector and Gem MMOC provide great shaves, and are very inexpensive. On the DE side, however, I find inexpensive aggressive razors hard to find. Vintage DEs don't work for me, except for the Le Coq cage comb, which is hard to find and thus not inexpensive. The FaTip piccolo is a great razor on my face, but most of the aggressive razors fall into the expensive category. Regrettably.

I guess it's just me. I also think that vehicles like Lexus, Absurdity(Infiniti) and BMW are mostly pointless. I want a car that does what I need. Holds stuff, gets me from point A to point B without a lot of hassle, and good gas mileage. I'm not going to run a 0-60 in 6.7 seconds. The one I just picked up used has a moon roof. I'd have preferred to NOT have the thing, as it's just one more set of holes to leak :)
Ain't that the truth. I guess the allure of a luxury razor is that I could actually afford one, unlike a Lamborghini or a chateau in the south of France. And there's always curiosity over whether a higher-end model would work better. So even though, as some have mentioned, there are no doubt plenty of inexpensive razors that work really well, I probably will spring for one of these eventually. RAD is hard to beat.

Top Bottom