What's new

Top of the line DE razors.

"Top of the line" doesn't mean much, IMO, unless you mean performance quality. My $20 German 37 is top of the line, but so is my $130 Wunderbar. The same goes for my $25 Hawk and my $140 Mongoose.

A price tag isn't synonymous with "top of the line."
I agree. Love my new Wunderbar, and Hawk, and my German 37. I also like my Mergress a lot. Money doesn't always buy a great razor. For example the Muhle R41 has been surpassed by many other razors.

I agree. Love my new Wunderbar, and Hawk, and my German 37. I also like my Mergress a lot. Money doesn't always buy a great razor. For example the Muhle R41 has been surpassed by many other razors.
Also love my Schone Italian open comb. Way better than the Fatip Grande or Piccolo in all my tests. And better than the Muhle R41 at less than half the cost.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
How is the wunderbar? BBS in how many passes?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Been using a Muhle R89 for the past 5 years. Seems to give a good shave. The only problem area is near the chin where I have to take several passes. Will a $300 Wolfman or ATT give a significantly better shave???

Been using a Muhle R89 for the past 5 years. Seems to give a good shave. The only problem area is near the chin where I have to take several passes. Will a $300 Wolfman or ATT give a significantly better shave???

I say probably not. I have a standard bar Wolfman and the fit and finish is superb, everything fits together like a glove. I don't have an ATT anymore, the Wolfman is a nice razor but I have to be honest in that I get a better shave with the Fatip Testina Gentile and the Parker Variant.

This isn't like cars where a Tesla is better than a Ford. It can be the other way around in wet shaving. The Parker Variant/Fatip Testina Gentile are better shavers than my Wolfman. They just are.

I say probably not. I have a standard bar Wolfman and the fit and finish is superb, everything fits together like a glove. I don't have an ATT anymore, the Wolfman is a nice razor but I have to be honest in that I get a better shave with the Fatip Testina Gentile and the Parker Variant.

This isn't like cars where a Tesla is better than a Ford. It can be the other way around in wet shaving. The Parker Variant/Fatip Testina Gentile are better shavers than my Wolfman. They just are.

I'm not a Ford fan, but I also wouldn't necessarily agree that a Tesla is any better than any other automaker.
In fact, they are a step DOWN to MANY automakers such as Toyota, for example, when it comes to economy and reliability / value, etc.

Best razors I have tried to date is the AS-D2 and Ikon X3 slant.
Best soap is a tie between Haslinger Ewe's Milk, and Mitchell's Wool Fat. Tabac is right up there in shave quality, but the scent is more powerful than ideal.

My two cents:
For sheer shave quality and build craftsmanship: Feather AS-D2, just used it this morning - fantastic. There can be only one.
For ultimate coolness and beauty: Gillette Adjustables

I would say just look at Timeless. Best razor I have ever used. The smoothest irregardless of gap on it. I know I talk about it a lot but it is simply amazing and I love taking about what I love.

No. The Flat Bottom litterally has a flat bottom. Like this one...

proxy.php

Wow. I picked up one yesterday what you call flat bottoms Tech. Is that a rare razor? It looks similar head geometry to that of BBS-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I would say just look at Timeless. Best razor I have ever used. The smoothest irregardless of gap on it. I know I talk about it a lot but it is simply amazing and I love taking about what I love.

I can't figure out the blade gap options to save my life

Agree with timeless - mine is a scalloped head OC 0.68 outstanding!! BBS every shave but so smooth. Also the Rockwell BBS and smooth - difficult to choose!! Love the feather just as smooth but not BBS without a lot of buffing!!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I guess it's just me. I also think that vehicles like Lexus, Absurdity(Infiniti) and BMW are mostly pointless. I want a car that does what I need. Holds stuff, gets me from point A to point B without a lot of hassle, and good gas mileage. I'm not going to run a 0-60 in 6.7 seconds.

If my Audi A6 ran that slow I'd immediately take it in to the dealer.:001_cool:

Being a retired teacher I don't have the income to purchase the best of everything - but I want to. Nothing is too good for me. My favorite razor is the Wolfman.

I only go about 6,000 miles a year, so not much. I don't burn rubber - it's got 333 horses, but it's a family sedan.

Ah. I put up to 30,000 miles a year on my car. the one I just replaced had gone well past the moon, just under 300,000 miles. So for me, tires are an annual replacement. I look at my car as a consumable good :)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Ah. I put up to 30,000 miles a year on my car. the one I just replaced had gone well past the moon, just under 300,000 miles. So for me, tires are an annual replacement. I look at my car as a consumable good :)

Mine are not broken in until they're about 10 years old!

I have been using a loaned Timeless scollaped head/baseplate .68 for a week now on a Bulldog handle. Returning to a friend in the community today and am placing an order. It's the finest & smoothest shave I've encountered. I rank it clearly above (in terms of shaving alone) the Wolfman, Blackbird & 6S. It's really that good. Wow, and to think this family just got started less than a year ago making razors in their machine shop.:a14:

Believe it or not I would also suggest a $57 razor made in India. The Parker Variant. IMO, they absolutely nailed what the Progress didn't.

Smoother shave, tighter adjustment knob, nice grip, perfect calibration. We'll see how this razor holds up over time but it's just the Merkur Progress done right. Shaves similar to the Timeless as the heads are somewhat alike which might be the best designed heads in shavedom!

Top Bottom