What's new

Top 5 brush shave soaps Below $10US, You & I use!

Who likes looking for affordable soaps?

• Newbies <1 yr( DE or SE) most newbies were already on disposable cartridges before, stay DE or SE!!

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Seasoned shavers 1yr >(DE or SE and Cartridge razors)

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • General shaving interest!

Votes: 19 50.0%

• Total voters

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Part 1 Top 5 great soaps you & I use!(your Favorite soaps)Top 5 great soaps you & I use!
Part 2 Top 5 brush shave soaps below $10.00 US, You and I use!
Thought I would like to touch on Soaps that are under $10.00 US that could be on sale to reach the under $10.00 threshold and there are lots of them, Part 1 was higher end soaps that I really enjoy.
Arko : One of the first soaps I bought and still have most of 3 sticks left, its been around for some time and it delivers a great lather with slickness and scent is very strong citrus lemony cleaning scent that settles down if left out in the open. This is a thirsty soap and When first using it I had the lather to dry, Arko likes water and to get great results lather should have a wetter hydrated texture if possible IMO. (Some folks are not happy with the scent as you might already know but I don't find it offensive) $3-4 per stick.
Colonel Conk Bay rum: Just bought this one recently on a order and its a glycerin base soap and thought for the price and a Bayrum soap that I have none of. It has mild spicy sent that is pleasant but not that strong IMO. Slickness was there IMO and it helped deliver a nick & weeper free shave. Post shave was also good. $3-6 per tub and they have 2 sizes.
Nivea : Started using this soap very early in my DE ventures and have to say it's alright a cream with a soft clean scent. The slickness is up there in the lower excellent range and post shave is also excellent, Nivea makes great moisturizers and so they deliver in the shave soap department IMO with not a whole lot of residual soap slickness to remove for final wash clean up. $3-6 dollars per tube and a mixing bowl not needed, just put a almond size portion in the wet middle part of the brush and face lather.
Proraso Green Eucalyptus menthol: For a Greenhorn learning this soap it was a challenge, at first I did not care for it because it made my skin cool off when rinsing so I shelved it for a while and revisited it for another try 4 months ago. The soap is a thirsty one and I did not have the right moisture ratio in the lather, it has to have a moist lather texture and the slickness is great when you add the right amount of water. Water seems to reactivate the slickness from my experience so to dry a lather is not producing the desired slickness I like for a enjoyable shave with this soap. Folks love to use this soap in the summer which gives a Menthol cooling effect after rinsing after each pass. Post shave is all right and scent is milder IMO. $5-9 dollars is a good deal for this one.
Razorock "What the puck": Just bought the 3 pucks on sale for $8.99 and that is a really good deal for the Quality of soap. I had the Blue barber stick and it worked good when on the road and took a chance with the Lime & Orange pucks. The soaps are triple milled and deliver great lather with nice high citrus scents for the orange and lime and the Blue barber also has a great scent . The protection slickness is fabulous and will protect your skin well, you will notice the slickness while rinsing after each pass.(good test for any soap is to re-moisten with just water a area after shaved to feel the protective slickness and run the razor across the slick-end area to test it for glide of razor.
Top 5 brush shave  Soaps under $10 US, You and I use!.JPG

Ron R

If you fellows have some soaps that are under $10.00 US let us know and if you can give more information all the better on your experiences with it.
I had some more soaps that are also good.
Because I buy a lot of supplies from Italian Barber I buy a lot when they have great sale prices.
Amici Soap by Italian barber : $3.00 one of my favorites and I was contemplating entering that also but their are so many to mention.
Amici.JPG

I’ll bite. A bit tough because some of the prices vary wildly depending, as you say, on your source and time of year buying.

- Razorock soaps (wide and excellent variety of scents, shave quality is middling)
- La Toja shave stick (excellent travel soap, excellent shave quality)
- Fine soaps (have to wait for a sale, solid lineup of scents, very decent quality shave)
- Cella (long standing classic for a good reason, excellent shaves)
- regular line Proraso (another classic staple in many dens, very decent shaves)

Williams is $1.79 at my local grocery. I could probably get by on two pucks a year with it, talk about cheap shaving!

Lisa's Natural Premium. Florida Freeze, Absinthe, Amber & Tobacco, Coconut Oud, Black Velvet, Somali Rose--they're all good. It's almost nine bucks for three ounces, but worth every penny.

Lisa's Natural Premium. Florida Freeze, Absinthe, Amber & Tobacco, Coconut Oud, Black Velvet, Somali Rose--they're all good. It's almost nine bucks for three ounces, but worth every penny.
I second that! But people need to understand that her soaps aren't just "good for a $10 soap", they are in the same league as some of the more popular artisan soapmakers. Everyone should just drop the $10 and try for themselves!

Ron R

Williams is $1.79 at my local grocery. I could probably get by on two pucks a year with it, talk about cheap shaving!
I tried Williams mug soap 25 years ago when I was using cartridge razors and did not have a lot of luck with it, but I was told they changed the old formula to a new version but was not impressed with it from what I recall. If you know how to use it could give a reasonable shave, it did not give me the protection and went to Gillette gels and foams.

Van der Hagen Luxury soap. You can get it for about $4.00 a puck and I think it holds it own against any other soap.
I could live with just this one soap in my den.

I second that! But people need to understand that her soaps aren't just "good for a $10 soap", they are in the same league as some of the more popular artisan soapmakers. Everyone should just drop the $10 and try for themselves!

Hear, hear!

1. Barrister & Mann latha when it was still being produced
2. Stubble Buster Lather punches well above it’s weight for 9$.
3. Lisa’s natural herbal creations
4. Wild West shaving co (disclaimer: 8$/2oz so 16$/4oz)

I don’t think anything else performs even decently enough for me, sorry.

Based on the criteria, my votes:
1. Haslinger’s (top-tier by any definition IMHO)
2. Arko
3. La Toja stick
4. Williams (especially vintage)
5. Palmolive stick

In addition to what has already been stated....

1. Sometimes, Italian Barber has some TFS soaps for 9.99. I have had great success and enjoyment from these.
2. Wet Shaving Products sells dented tins for 9.99. Always good shaves with WSP.
3. Sample pucks from Stirling, Crowne and Crane, Barrister and Mann, among others are good deals and could add variety in your shaves.

Lisa's Natural is top tier. Her Cedar and Saffron is the best scent I have experienced in any soap or cream. The performance is simply amazing.

I’ll go with the VDH soap at $4 to $5 per puck. It’s a very good soap and can be purchased at most supermarkets, drugstores and Walmart and Target stores. It’s slick enough for a straight razor shave, lasts for months and has a nice scent.

I’ll go with the VDH soap at $4 to $5 per puck. It’s a very good soap and can be purchased at most supermarkets, drugstores and Walmart and Target stores. It’s slick enough for a straight razor shave, lasts for months and has a nice scent.

It's my daily soap. I use Proraso Green Croap on occasion.

Top Bottom