What's new

Too young for a DE ?

+1

I did not read the other posts, but seriously, why share a blade? I wouldn't want my father's blood to mingle with my own.

Agree. I was puzzled when people suggested blade-sharing.. Imho, there is no such thing as a "broken-in blade". It's only that it's gotten duller. So don't start with the sharpest of blades. Get him up and going with a blue-tip/SS loaded with a Derby or RP.

I'm probably alone in this but shouldn't you start him off with something safe? Having only one edge (DE blade) allows for much deeper and dangerous cuts than a cartridge.

I say start him off with a sensor or mach 3. He's still young, every shave for him will be a BBS regardless of the razor. All it matters is that he doesn't cut himself while doing it right?

My middle son is just a little older. He started with an electric but asked to try wet shaving. I set him up with Bic Sensitive disposables and a can of foam. (I almost cried the first time I saw him at the mirror all lathered up.)

Do like my grandpa used to do. Let him start out with a bladeless razor and help him with his angle of attack. Once he's swiping off lather in even, clean passes, then load him up with something mild in a Gillette Tech.
That sounds like something I'd do with my children. I hope I'll rememer as I'm 20 now and probably won't have kids for some years to come :blushing:

I started shaving at age 10, but with cartridges. My father Started shaving with a DE at age 11 though, so it is possible.

I'd advise telling him there's no need to worry about it right now and then give him a really nice setup for his 14th birthday.....gold Tech, nice black-handled Omega and some soap/blades.

I started my son out wet shaving at age 13. I gave him a Weshi (that I out grew) which is a mild shaver and an inexpensive boar brush. He took to it very well as he was shaving every 2 to 3 days while at 13, every week or two would probably suffice.

It might have helped that I had just gotten back into wet shaving and my ADs were in full swing. It did not take him long to lay claim to my ’59 Fatboy and I did get him a badger brush once I saw that he was sticking with it.

I think some of your other posters have it right, start him off right while his beard is very soft and easy to cut. His technique will grow as his whiskers do. Besides, I don’t think a mild DE is any more dangerous than a cartridge razor other than handling the blades to load them.

BTW, he has had no interest in absconding my slant…..

Start him out slow, if you are worried about him changing blades have him use a bic. My beard came in full when i was 15 so him learning this now will be mo better

Even if I don't think it's too young, my personal opinion is that it's unnessecary just because he will get a smooth shave with a cartridge razor too. And cause he have such tiny little wiskers, and not have to shave so often this won't be exensive to talk about either.
However, if he is interrested I think you can give him a brush and soap/cream and still use a cartridge, so that he can practise about lathering and get a proper lather before DE shaving.

//Axel

I would say if he is interested the go for it. I wish I had learned w/ a DE. Instead I had 20 years of not so good shaves.

Do like my grandpa used to do. Let him start out with a bladeless razor and help him with his angle of attack. Once he's swiping off lather in even, clean passes, then load him up with something mild in a Gillette Tech.

+1. When I learned to shave as a 13 year old. DE was the only available and still is what I always used

It is your duty to teach him what you know about shaving!

My Dad knows sod all about it, luckily I read an article in FHM Magazine which was extremely informative.

I'm probably alone in this but shouldn't you start him off with something safe? Having only one edge (DE blade) allows for much deeper and dangerous cuts than a cartridge.

I say start him off with a sensor or mach 3. He's still young, every shave for him will be a BBS regardless of the razor. All it matters is that he doesn't cut himself while doing it right?

I've gotten worse cuts with a cartridge, than I have with a Slant, or Futur at 6. Safety Razor cuts are mainly nicks and weepers and are self healing for the most part once you get more lather on them.

I believe he should start out with a brush, soap/cream, a good razor for him, and good blades. You will save him from years of lousy shaves, 5 O'Clock Shadow, and cold, cold lather.

I started my son out wet shaving at age 13... It did not take him long to lay claim to my ’59 Fatboy and I did get him a badger brush once I saw that he was sticking with it.
BTW, he has had no interest in absconding my slant…..

What's wrong with youth these days? :tongue_sm

Whatever you decide to do, don't film it and put it on YouTube. :biggrin:

+1

My grandfather started me out with a straight razor when I turned 14, several decades ago. He shaved me the first three or four times, if I re-collect correctly, and then basically coached me stroke for stroke after that for a few more times. Then he gave me his old straight, which I still have, a Old Spice, brush, mug and soap. I was on my own after that. Cut myself pretty bad a time or two or ten but I was using a straight on an almost daily basis when I went off to boot camp. After that I used injectors and an electric until coming back to a DE two years ago. Picking up the mug and brush that first time was like I'd never stopped.

The important thing is to teach your son good technique and give him his own stuff. Whatever you do and teach him will stay with him for the rest of his life.

I've gotten worse cuts with a cartridge, than I have with a Slant, or Futur at 6. Safety Razor cuts are mainly nicks and weepers and are self healing for the most part once you get more lather on them.

Exactly, with cartridges I've gotten some deep triple and quintuple slashes, mainly because I was rushing, had improper technique, was under the impression that they were "safe," and also, had to hack at the hairs with a lot of pressure. However, with that being said, once I started DE shaving and used proper technique, I've been able to get a passable shaves from a cartridge surprisingly, but no where near as excellent as DE shaving.

I've gotten worse cuts with a cartridge, than I have with a Slant, or Futur at 6.

Exactly my point. Why teach him something he has to unlearn again?
My 7 year old can't wait to start shaving with a DE and every one or two weeks he is lathering up and "shaving" with an empty razor. I am not going to teach him anything else for sure!

How 'bout this for an idea: ask him what he wants

Offer your help and advice, but let him make the ultimate decision. Then help him to follow the path he chooses as best as possible.

Top Bottom