What's new

Too Soft for TSA

I'm more interested in how you will carry new blades on the way out!

A used blade can be discarded semi-safely (wrap in some paper and put some tape). Or carry a blade disposal case from a blade that offers something like that (e.g. Feather/Derby) and use that to discard them before the return trip.
I'm going to be traveling for the first time since I started using a safety razor and based on what I've learned here, I'll have my razor disassembled and have a shave stick and a trial size vial for my aftershave in my quart size bag. I'm just wondering, what do you guys do with the used razor blades when you're ready to make the return trip home?
I usually put them in my checked luggage. If TSA is on the ball, blades are not allowed in your carry-on bag, and they'll confiscate them when they screen it.

I usually put them in my checked luggage. If TSA is on the ball, blades are not allowed in your carry-on bag, and they'll confiscate them when they screen it.
That works provided luggage is being checked. And if that is the only reason to check a bag it becomes a major inconvenience.

I probably should have added that I'll only have a carry on bag and I'll be procuring the blades upon arrival. I was thinking about bringing an empty tuck and taping the used blades into it and tossing them on my last day there, I just wanted to see what others had done.

(If you pack a #6 envelope, piece of cardboard, and a 1st class stamp, you could mail them back to yourself - 1st class stamp will mail up to 10 blades)
This is actually not a bad idea. Thanks for the tip.

Aussie shave stick works well for TSA so far! JM
20220207_200730.jpg

I fly checked baggage with DE plades and pucks, if it's carry on Trac 2 razor and a DR Harris stick works without issue

I'm going to be traveling for the first time since I started using a safety razor and based on what I've learned here, I'll have my razor disassembled and have a shave stick and a trial size vial for my aftershave in my quart size bag. I'm just wondering, what do you guys do with the used razor blades when you're ready to make the return trip home?

If you want to protect hotel staff, you could wrap it in one of those brown cardboard toilet paper rolls and fold the ends of the roll or you could just put the old blade in an empty soda can.

B.

Two years ago heading to New Orleans I’m watching the grey tubs emerge from the covered part of the security line, I see something funny with the rollers - its a large fixed blade knife tumbling parallel to the rollers, not going anywhere. I stepped back, caught a TSA person’s attention and said “Not mine, but take a look at this” They looked grumpy. Years ago a had a green Proraso taken for evaluation by some machine, and rejected from carry on.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The TSA is woefully inadequate at performing to any given published standard.
It's hard to know what some schmo at one airport will do differently than another schmo at another airport, or even two of them at the same airport in different lines.
The advice is good - don't take ANYTHING you are not willing to leave behind.
You never know if Bob got chewed out by his wife at breakfast before coming to work.

I have read from multiple sources that the TSA ‘interpretation’ of the rules are in the end, up to the individual officer. Considering the latitude of humans, that‘s a lot of highway. And was intended to be I think.

Yep, don’t take anything that you couldn’t stand losing. Checked baggage is safer than carry-on baggage for shaving gear.

The liquids rule was to stop explosives, wasn’t it? I would think soft shaving soaps are a similar consistency to some explosives. Probably wasn’t wrong of the TSA minion to take it.

My wife is still bitter about a lipstick they confiscated from her some years ago. And, honestly, if someone can hijack or bring down a commercial airliner with a lipstick then I kinda think they’re going to beat us whatever we do.

It was all because of that dickhead British guy with the explosives in his shoe, wasn’t it? Richard Reid was his name? I think we would all like to have a word with him.

The liquids rule was to stop explosives, wasn’t it? I would think soft shaving soaps are a similar consistency to some explosives. Probably wasn’t wrong of the TSA minion to take it.

My wife is still bitter about a lipstick they confiscated from her some years ago. And, honestly, if someone can hijack or bring down a commercial airliner with a lipstick then I kinda think they’re going to beat us whatever we do.

It was all because of that dickhead British guy with the explosives in his shoe, wasn’t it? Richard Reid was his name? I think we would all like to have a word with him.

Him or the underwear bomber, who's the one responsible for little old ladies in depends getting pulled over.

They took two new jars of Jiff creamy peanut butter from my wife's bag...... oh well, lesson learned.

Hmm.... Just in time for coffee break, maybe?

It's all theater anyway. Their own QC guys have managed to sneak contraband on board something like 97% of the time. Makes you feel all warm and secure, doesn't it?

I guess trying to carry on a straight razor is out of the question. Not that I’d try. Wouldn’t want to lose it. I suppose I would just buy disposable razors at the destination. I guess a Tabac stick and a boar brush would be safe.

That reminds me of when I was traveling through LAX just after 9/11, when boarding my SYD-LAX flight all passengers had to remove their footwear for inspection, which I found kind of funny as I was wearing thongs (flip-flops) that didn't leave much to the imagination...

On the other hand flying out of HNL on the redeye to MEL, the TSA guys are usually still waking up and not that attentive...

I probably should be ashamed of myself and it's blasphemous to say but I purchased an electric razor to fly with. Not ideal but it gets most of the job done. Been hassled one to many times.

Top Bottom