What's new

Shave soap seperated in tub?

I blind bought this soap a few weeks, maybe a month back as I'm a fan of aquatic scents.... honestly really REALLY love the scent off the puck and the AS is solid too in my book, great scent....

The first 3-4x is using it was enjoyable, produced a solid enough lather, smells great, performs well overall providing fairly satisfying shaves..... at the mid point of the container the color and texture of puck change completely from fairly soft to a much much harder consistency also seems the perfume/scent ingredients kinda settled in the lower half.... scooped to a bowl and latherd the soap in the lower half of the container provides a much more mediocre lather but stronger scent, kind of irritated my skin which is definitely not sensitive.

I asked the maker about the separation and they kinda just said that they pour at high heat and recommend tub loading the product, didn't address weather separation was normal....

So, here's where I'm lost.
I cannot see how tub loading from the top will improve the lower half of this tub, I'd assume after I've used the top half I'll have the same issue with lather quality and scent strength...no?
I'm normally not one to complain but it seems like I paid sticker price for a full tub of soap but got half tub of pretty good soap and a half tub of something else.

Thoughts? Opinions?
20230812_174617.jpg

That would
Lots of people have jumped on the "artisinal" shave soap bandwagon, not all of whom actually know how to make a decent soap. You should expect a quality, or even mid range, soap to be stable for years if kept in sane conditions.
Makes as much sense as anything.

I've been wet shaving better than a decade now but only dabbling in the artisan soaps the last couple years... still I've burned through a fair amount and never seen this, wonderd if it's a thing that sometimes happens or if I got a dud... you're answer is kind what I'd assumed to be the case but I don't know near everything.
Thanks.

Lots of people have jumped on the "artisinal" shave soap bandwagon, not all of whom actually know how to make a decent soap. You should expect a quality, or even mid range, soap to be stable for years if kept in sane conditions.

+1! This^ I have pretty much given up on buying ‘shaving soaps’ from ‘artisans’ at local markets around here.

Reactions: Kix
After you used it did you turn the puck upsidedown to drain and dry naturally before putting it away? On some Artisan soap wed -sites they recommend this to stop the soap from breaking down. (ie Pheonix and Beau (FAQ) etc...)

After you used it did you turn the puck upsidedown to drain and dry naturally before putting it away? On some Artisan soap wed -sites they recommend this to stop the soap from breaking down. (ie Pheonix and Beau (FAQ) etc...)
Water never touched this puck so no need....I scoop to a larger bowl and lather

A shaving soap should not separate, and since stearic acid is the main ingredient in shaving soaps, there must be something wrong with this soap. From a Google search (potassium stearate and sodium stearate are emulsifiers. They are salts of stearic acid, which is a fatty acid that is solid at room temperature. Potassium stearate and sodium stearate are both soluble in water and oil, which makes them ideal for forming emulsions.)

The bottom is so hard I think that's a no go.... I was considering a cheese grater into another container.
I was gonna say why don't you grate it into another container. I have actually grated soap and then re-grated it again to make sure it was thoroughly done...

Top Bottom