What's new

To Those Seeking Comfort: Sensitive Skin or Difficult Whiskers

Do you consider yourself to have sensitive skin or difficult whiskers

• Sensitive Skin

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Difficult Whiskers

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
For those that came here seeking a more comfortable shave, what was the issue that led you here? Sensitive skin or difficult whiskers?

To define the two:

Sensitive Skin - Specific ingredients will cause dermatological issues. Or, hardware (usually of the more aggressive type) that causes problems across all areas of the face and neck.

Difficult Whiskers - Whiskers that are thick or lay flat and cause issues only in specific areas. Generally speaking, ingredients aren't an issue, but aggressive equipment can be in the trouble areas while other areas have no problems regardless of equipment used.

I'd put myself in the difficult whiskers category because I could use a cart and canned goo on 90% of my face and neck every day with no problem. However, on either side of my Adam's Apple I have both swirls and thick whiskers that lay flat. If I use a cart there I'm guaranteed to get ingrowns that need at least 72 hours to heal. If I shave again with a cart sooner than that it's going to be a painful and bloody mess.

I'm happy to report with the right blade and DE razor I can shave every 24 hours with no problems anywhere.

Just curious what the ratio is among current members.

For those that came here seeking a more comfortable shave, what was the issue that led you here? Sensitive skin or difficult whiskers?

To define the two:

Sensitive Skin - Specific ingredients will cause dermatological issues. Or, hardware (usually of the more aggressive type) that causes problems across all areas of the face and neck.

Difficult Whiskers - Whiskers that are thick or lay flat and cause issues only in specific areas. Generally speaking, ingredients aren't an issue, but aggressive equipment can be in the trouble areas while other areas have no problems regardless of equipment used.

I'd put myself in the difficult whiskers category because I could use a cart and canned goo on 90% of my face and neck every day with no problem. However, on either side of my Adam's Apple I have both swirls and thick whiskers that lay flat. If I use a cart there I'm guaranteed to get ingrowns that need at least 72 hours to heal. If I shave again with a cart sooner than that it's going to be a painful and bloody mess.

I'm happy to report with the right blade and DE razor I can shave every 24 hours with no problems anywhere.

Which blade are you using ? I'm getting some bumps and irritation after shaving...

My whiskers are very hard, my beard is low density but my whiskers are strong unfortunately....i

Which blade are you using ? I'm getting some bumps and irritation after shaving...

My whiskers are very hard, my beard is low density but my whiskers are strong unfortunately....i

Personna Lab Blues. I haven't tried a ton of blades though. I started with Feathers and they would occasionally result in unexplainable weepers. I also tried a couple others that I didn't like. Once I tried the Lab Blues I got good results and haven't experimented much since then.

So far I've not had issues with sensitive skin (all over reaction to products). The only problem area is my neck which often have blood spots. While shaving I feel no sense of pain but only after the pass I realize spots of blood. I'm not 100% sure if it is due to bumps or I'm just not good enough with my technique yet, but for now I suspect the latter.

To define the two:

Difficult wiskers. I have a cowlick under my jawline on one side of my face. They lay flat in a circle. Then on the sides of my face from where my sideburns start they go down halfway down the wiskers point up towards my sideburns. Basically mapping my face is moot because when I shave it’s wth, agt, and atg all at the same time. The blades that work for me so far has been in no particular order are. Perssona, perma sharp, Gillette 7 oclock black, yellow, green, and lately Rockwell. Astra either green or blue are good. The ones that don’t work are Derby extra, Wlikinson sword. The razors that don’t work for me are disposable, viking blade emperor piece of junk got that to replace my damaged fat boy one day delivery from amazon. I ended up buying and really enjoying my new T2s it has by far been as good if not better than my fat boy. Because I need an adjustable razor that I can do on the fly. And that razor can do it all. That’s me and my own antidotal evidence.

For those that came here seeking a more comfortable shave, what was the issue that led you here?
I voted difficult whiskers but it wasn't either that really led me here, cost is what led me to traditional wet shaving!! Carts would only last 2 shaves at most and the results reflected that as well... Lather with any can. be it foam or gel was insufficient also. I would say in 7+yrs now I'd say that even though I've purchased several brushes and 2 Titanium razors I am still way ahead of the game at this point and its only gonna get better!!

I voted difficult whiskers but it wasn't either that really led me here, cost is what led me to traditional wet shaving!! Carts would only last 2 shaves at most and the results reflected that as well... Lather with any can. be it foam or gel was insufficient also. I would say in 7+yrs now I'd say that even though I've purchased several brushes and 2 Titanium razors I am still way ahead of the game at this point and its only gonna get better!!
I started out with a safety razor in 1984, then through slick advertising got the best a man could get Gillette mac 3. False advertising with that. Got more irritation with those than having to listen to a politician make promises. Went back to my trusty safety razor and had facial hair in various forms throughout the last 20 plus years. The last eight years have been a full beard that turned gray. Now I am completely clean shaven probably to never grow out my beard again. And I use soaps and creams for the scent. They all perform about the same way. The only shave cream that I don’t like is barbersol menthol with caffeine. I don’t have sensitive skin and heaven help those that do have sensitive skin if they use that napalm in a can on their face. That’s the only shave cream that ever gave me a skin rash/chemical burn.

I started out with a safety razor in 1984, then through slick advertising got the best a man could get Gillette mac 3. False advertising with that. Got more irritation with those than having to listen to a politician make promises. Went back to my trusty safety razor.
You should have got an electric razor. Your closest shave, or your money back. I know of a guy who was so impressed he bought the company.

I have light growth and mostly normal skin, though it tends to be dry. I find pre-shaving efforts as well as a good moisturizing routine is very beneficial to me. When I am in a hurry and skip steps or shave too quickly I might get some redness and bumps.

As I get more into wetshaving, I am more interested in the soaps and creams because I can use most any blade and I get a decent shave from even low-end razors.

Top Bottom