What's new

To Saponificio Varesino: "Your Majesty, please accept my apologies"

Apologies if this is not the right place for this query but, I was just looking at SV on Pasteur’s site and it’s $70+ in the tin. Was it always this expensive? I seem recall paying around $50. Am I mistaken? I haven’t been drinking so I know I’m not drunk!
I’ll carry on spreading the good word on Connaught Shaving

Spend £60 and get free shipping, amd outside UK you pay excluding VAT so about $32 a puck in the tin.

Still out of stock with Morado… i’ll stock up when it returns

Just got back to Bangkok after a 2 night trip to Singapore meet up with eldest sister and my niece who is working over there… and found a package from gifts and care
Yaay!
The Argania has arrived…
Scent is promising, and the puck is even darker than the Morado which is my outright SV favourite… it’s ready for tomorrow morning’s shave.

IMG_5713.jpeg

Grabbed a bottle of B&B at Changi duty free immediately when I spotted it… can’t find it anywhere in Bangkok.
IMG_5715.jpeg

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Just got back to Bangkok after a 2 night trip to Singapore meet up with eldest sister and my niece who is working over there… and found a package from gifts and care
Yaay!
The Argania has arrived…
Scent is promising, and the puck is even darker than the Morado which is my outright SV favourite… it’s ready for tomorrow morning’s shave.

View attachment 1731559
I love the look of the new robust tin. And, from what I've read so far, the latest Argania soap should be a winner! Please do follow up with your thoughts. Thank you kindly, Sir. :001_smile

First... Argania is available at connaught shaving!

Scent to me is close to Morado - at the warm, amber end which I like. Morado is still my favourite scent i've tried from SV, Argania is a typically complex SV scent and here's their description :-
"An oriental gourmand perfume in which myrrh blends with the sweet notes of vanilla and tonka bean, creating an enveloping and seductive fragrance.
It opens with sweet citrus notes of magnolia, sweet orange, almond and bergamot and then continues with the oriental woody notes of myrrh, cashmere wood, benzoin, patchouli and guaiac wood. The composition closes with delicate notes of white musk, tonka bean, vanilla, ambergris and cedar wood."

I'd skipped shaving while away so had 3 days worth of stubble for this morning's shave with Argania and a Tatara Masamune. Rubbed the puck on my face and usual excellent, easy SV lather, lovely smell and an easy 2 pass shave... and got rid of all that stubble without any drama at all. Lathering for the 2nd pass, was very slick without any greasy feel - i'd imagine straight blade users would love it too. Very nice feel and not oily - don't be out off by the 'for dry' skin as it would be great for any, it washed off just fine.

I feel Argania and Morado both add a little something extra to the usual excellent SV performance - Argan oil for Argania, and the Purple Corn & milk proteins in the Morado do provide extra protection.

Looking forward to using it with a normal 24hr growth and compare it to my Morado - intend to give the Tatara open comb Masamune another chance, and these two soaps should help.

Made up a bunch of shave sticks yesterday - all the rest of my SV Morado, and the Argania puck mixed 50/50 with Myrsol cream form the 1kg tub - & also mixed Meisner Tremonia Strong n' Scottish... did that one last due to its extreme peat bomb nature.

Shaved today with the Argania (Myrsol) stick and my usual closed comb Masamune - great shave, easy, comfortable - lovely lather, it is a pleasant scent.

I'd given the open comb Masamune another outing yesterday with the Morado mix stick - and i'll finally be sticking with the closed.. for me it's a great and easy, safe shave that can still cope with 3 days growth even. Morado still wins on scent over Argania and i'm not sure yet if Argania is any better SV performance than the already notably good Morado.

Just joined the club. I’ve had Opuntia and 70th anniversary in my wait list to try and today I decided to start with 70th. Followed the damp brush method in my bowl adding water little by little, had a great shave. To my surprise, I was hoping for a skin reaction that never came. My skin feels like burning with a lot of soaps (Zingari, Tabac, DR Harris, even Haslinger), and this time was different. I said to my surprise because everyone has told me it’s probably the fragrance in the soaps, and well, SV is no exception when it comes to fragrance. Very satisfied so far

I took a chance on Morado. As I suspected, the scent that I felt was a bit much on the aftershave sample, translated well to the soap. As the scent is much diminished.
It’s like a refined barbershop scent. Florar, powdery with complexity. And Is very different than the typical SV scent profile. I’m glad I took a chance on it.
As a bonus, the Floid the genuine after shave, pairs with it like a glove.
Another winner.
I also got argania, but that’s a topic for another post

I have never used anything from this brand, but their stuff caught my at a store a few weeks ago. I got to smell the Felce Aromatica soap and thought it was one of the best smelling shaving products I've ever sniffed. I might grab some in the Spring.

I love my SV.
Started in 2014, I've tried all of them.

My favs:
1. Beta 4.0 Private Wood
2. Beta 4.0 Dolomiti Special Edition 2016 Black
3. Beta 4.3 Felce Aromatica Reformulated Lim.Ed.2017
4. Beta 4.3 Asylum Shave Works Colonia (SV 2019 x Bullgoose Shaving Supplies)
5. Beta 4.3 Dolomiti Limited Edition 2020

Up until now my judgement on Saponificio Varesino was just tepid, not warm. Up until now my lathers with SV were just good, not great. Up until now I was just wrong. And this because my lathering technique with this exceptional soap was not correct. Yes, you heard it right: so far my lathering method was a mistake. The Italian Master Barbers' Technique, here improperly known as "Marco (My) Method", with its wet brush approach, simply downgrades the unique qualities of this exceptional soap, not allowing it to fully deliver its true potential.
A few days ago, after many just good results, I wanted to make another attempt. However, in this occasion I tried something new and tested the "Foolproof Lather Method" recently taught us by my dear friend John @JCinPA . BOOM! What an incredible improvement! I am rarely amazed, but this time I was completely impressed! With the FLM the lather gets the thickness of La Toja, has the slickness of Cella and ensures the post shave feel of Mitchell's Wool Fat. The reason? Well, it's quite simple: Saponificio Varesino does require only little water, and John's technique is exactly based on a lightly damp brush (still combined with a heavy loading process).
My final opinion on SV has enormously changed and in the most positive way possible.
It's superb all around, it's superior to anything else, it's in a class of its own.
Saponificio Varesino, please accept my apologies. You are the King of Soaps and the Soap of Kings.
You opened my eyes... I have been using SV for several months, generally I am satisfied, but there was always something "wrong" (or not as good as expected :)).. I read on many forums that people have "issues" with obtaining satisfactory foam, but this solution has never been found.. I am delighted... this method in combination with SV Argania, gives absolutely cosmic effects... I went a step further and suggest others to check it out... namely, after shaving (actually after the third pass), I apply the remaining foam on the freshly shaved skin and leave it for some time... the time needed to clean up " after shaving... wash the brush, bowl and other such household chores... usually 2-3 minutes and then wash off with cold water... and then I go to the kitchen :).. and take a towel from the freezer (not the fridge) (which I put in a dry to the freezer) I apply to a slightly damp face... and that's it... no additional balms or other aftershave are needed... adding 2-3 drops of SV lotion on the (each) cheek more to "finish" the shaving ritual than out of real need... The effect is delightful .. I'm curious about your opinion (I achieve a similar effect with PA soap).. Suddenly it turned out that my search for aftershave balms (sensitive skin with which I still had problems after shaving) was pointless.. :)
I encourage you to check it out... I'm curious about your opinions

BTW.. comment about SV Price.
Several of you mentioned the high price of SV... well, the distributor's margin, fees related to product registration on another market, shipping...

Example:

SV soap (150 grams) in Europe costs 39,40 Euro (many companies convert 1 Euro - 1 USD), i.e. USD - the price from the "producer" - 51 USD, as far as I know, the price e.g. in Pasteur...

( Rasoigoodfellas | Saponificio Varesino products for sale - https://www.rasoigoodfellas.eu/category/brands/saponificio-varesino/ )
( Saponificio Varesino - https://pasteurpharmacy.com/collections/saponificio-varesino?page=4&grid_list=grid-view )

And now
PA BayRum (140 grams) - 20 USD in the United States (PA shop) ... 32,95 Euro ("equivalent" to USD 32,95 :)) in Europe.
( Rasoigoodfellas | Phoenix Artisan products for sale - https://www.rasoigoodfellas.eu/category/brands/phoenix-artisan/ )
( Ultra Premium Formula CK-6 - https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/collections/ultra-premium-formula-ck-6 )

actual exchange ratio 1 Euro - 1,08 USD (as of 28.03.2024)

As you can see, the prices are in similar proportions ( always about + ca. 12 USD )... and there is nothing to complain about... :)
Yes... it's not cheap, but as you can see, "quality" costs near the same :) on both markets... American and European...

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
You opened my eyes... I have been using SV for several months, generally I am satisfied, but there was always something "wrong" (or not as good as expected :)).. I read on many forums that people have "issues" with obtaining satisfactory foam, but this solution has never been found.. I am delighted... this method in combination with SV Argania, gives absolutely cosmic effects... I went a step further and suggest others to check it out... namely, after shaving (actually after the third pass), I apply the remaining foam on the freshly shaved skin and leave it for some time... the time needed to clean up " after shaving... wash the brush, bowl and other such household chores... usually 2-3 minutes and then wash off with cold water... and then I go to the kitchen :).. and take a towel from the freezer (not the fridge) (which I put in a dry to the freezer) I apply to a slightly damp face... and that's it... no additional balms or other aftershave are needed... adding 2-3 drops of SV lotion on the (each) cheek more to "finish" the shaving ritual than out of real need... The effect is delightful .. I'm curious about your opinion (I achieve a similar effect with PA soap).. Suddenly it turned out that my search for aftershave balms (sensitive skin with which I still had problems after shaving) was pointless.. :)
I encourage you to check it out... I'm curious about your opinions
Words of wisdom, Sir. I entirely agree: a really high quality shave, masterfully executed needs no aftershave at all. But, at the end, we apply it anyway to enjoy that little extra moment of happiness.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sv is all I'm using now apart from musgo real cream now and then.
Leaves my skin smooth and soft, as someone said, no need for balm.
Just one thing, I wish they made a rose scent si ilar to mdc
Italians seem reluctant to make Rose and Lavender shaving soaps. It's a lifetime I've been waiting for a Proraso into these two traditional fragrances, but it does not show up. The actual reasons why they are not being produced is a mistery to me, even more if we consider that there are plenty of Italian bath soaps in Rose and Lavender, happily used by both women and men in my country.

[cut]
A few days ago, after many just good results, I wanted to make another attempt. However, in this occasion I tried something new and tested the "Foolproof Lather Method" recently taught us by my dear friend John @JCinPA . [cut]
just for additional information, in case someone landed in our thread looking for a method to make leather :)

Marco Donghi (TGS) answers the question: What is your secret to achieving the perfect lather from your shaving soaps?
Undercover with The Goodfellas Smile - https://agentshave.co.uk/blog/undercover-with-the-goodfellas-smile/ (quite interesting article)

I used this method, but the one suggested by @Marco gives better results (once again thanks Marco:) )...
Wetting the tip of the brush and wetting the brush is a really big difference :) especially in this case (TGS creams vs SA hard soaps :)

BTW TGS ReNero is still on my shelf, handy between SVs :)

Top Bottom